Friday, February 5, 2010

Sparkling Snow Explained

It is snowing again here in south-central Pennsylvania, a wet, heavy snow that has attached itself to anything that doesn't move. We are supposed to receive around ten inches of the stuff before the storm passes out of the region on Saturday, but I think it has stopped at five or six. Of course, I could be wrong - again - and there will be two feet of the stuff when I wake up in the morning. I went around turning out lights before going to bed and was just amazed at the rainbow shards that lay everywhere on the snow. I gave Daughter's camera back today, or I would have some sparklies to post tonight.

I was Googling to find an image of sparkling snow for this post and found an explanation of why snow sparkles in the first place. Thought some of you might like to read this, too.

2 comments:

Steve said...

Snow is magic stuff even with the science bit explained!

The Crow said...

Yes, it is for me, too...up to an 18" limit. More than that and I want to hide.

:)