Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Crow and the OVR, Chapter 4

Last Friday (2-19), I called to speak with my counselor at OVR, following the guidelines for settling disagreements as outlined at OVR's web site. If after trying to work out an agreement and meeting with no success, applicants are advised to then contact a liaison group which will act as an intermediary.
...
When the receptionist answered my call, I explained that I wanted to speak with C.L., my counselor, about the status of my application.
...
"Let me give you her supervisor," said harried sounding receptionist.
...
Hmmm.
...
I eventually had to leave a voice mail message on the supervisor's phone, outlining what I hoped to accomplish and that C.L. was my counselor. I gave my work number and cell phone, stating I could be contacted any time during the day.
...
Over the weekend, I began writing an account of my experiences with C.L., in case I had to forward it on to the liaison organization. I wrote it as a straight report, no smart-aleck comments from my brain. I decided to try speaking with C.L. one more time before mailing my request for an intermediary.
...
First thing Monday morning, I called OVR again, asked for C.L. and was again directed to her supervisor. I was placed on hold for several minutes, and had to leave another voice mail message.
...
Double hmmmmm. What is going on here? This is a state government office, underwritten by the Federal government. Even the dreaded IRS gets back to you faster than this.
...
I waited all day for a return call and was half-disappointed, half-angry when quitting time rolled around and there had been no response. Actually, I was more than half-angry; I was ticked!
...
This morning, I awoke determined I was going to speak to someone other than the receptionist, or I was going down to their office and not leaving until somebody answered my blooming questions!
...
Had to take care of some domestic issues before I could call, and I wanted to find my voice recorder so I could tape the conversation, in case I needed it .
...
As I was paying the oil man for yet another delivery, my cell phone buzzed and chirped in an unknown tone. The call was from the cell phone C.L. had used when she last called me. Good! Maybe we could get this mess ironed out without having to resort to arbitration.
...
"Hello, C."
...
"This is S.N.," the voice answered. "I'm C's supervisor here at the OVR. C.L. is no longer working for us. I'm calling everyone in her case load to catch up with what's happened lately."
...
(No kidding!? said brain, stunned at this not-entirely-unwelcome turn of events. There is justice in this world, after all. Be quiet, I warned. No funny stuff today.)
...
Seems my counselor left suddenly, didn't show up for work as scheduled, left all her files and others papers in disarray and hasn't been in contact with OVR since sometime the week before last. By my reckoning, that would be shortly after our final conversation.
...
S.N., the supervisor, is the polar opposite of C.L. - professional, coherent, organized, efficient. She had taken a folder of client files and was trying to put them in order, to assess just what needed doing next.
...
She said it was difficult to determine what C.L. had told me based on her notes, so we spent a few minutes where I told her the gist of the interview and the following phone call. S.N. said it looked like C.L. hadn't contacted my doctors for medical information, so that was the next thing to be done.
...
She also said that because C.L.'s cases were having to be taken up by her short-handed staff, the process might take a little longer than normal, but that the office would stay in touch and keep me apprised of their progress. As soon as a new counselor was assigned to my case, he or she would call me, probably within the next two weeks.
...
She apologized for what she termed the "unfortunate experiences" I'd had and assured me that that would not be the case in the future.
...
I believe her. For one thing, she knew my name without prompting from me. Always a good sign.
...
So, we'll see what happens.

17 comments:

Fresca said...

If I were conspiracy minded, I might think that C.L. didn't just walk away from her desk but met an unfortunate end in a lonely canal somewhere, aided by a disgruntled client she had been "helping."

Maybe I've just been watching too many film noir movies...

At any rate, this seems good new for you!

The Crow said...

I think it might be good news for me, but I feel guilty being glad she isn't there anymore. I don't think she's independently wealthy, and she is single.

Maybe I'm projecting worries about my own survival onto her situation. Certainly, she was ill-prepared for the job she had.

Hmmm...she would be a perfect client for OVR.

I like the way you think, and I AM conspiracy minded!

Rouchswalwe said...

There is justice in the world, dear Martha, precisely because those who are justice-minded are willing to expend the energy needed. I am very happy for you and will press my thumbs for future success!

Zhoen said...

Well, this explains the irrational instructions. Her erratic behaviour is not your fault, so you need not feel any guilt at all. Sounds like she self destructed, and no one can stop someone else from that.

I hope this gets straightened out for you soon, but knowing that your notes are indecipherable, you may well be starting over.

ArtSparker said...

Validation is always good, even when you're pretty sure it was the other party who was nuts. Wow, wouldn't you like to sit down and talk to the other folks she was "helping"?

The Crow said...

Rouchswalwe:

I don't know if pressing your thumbs means the same as keeping my fingers crossed, but between the two of us, some good must surely come of this. Thank you for your support.

The Crow said...

Hello, Zhoen:

You might be right about having to start over, but that's okay.

And I know you're right about not owning any guilt for her meltdown. I think she was already fully involved, like a fire burning out of control, before I walked into the office. Still, I am sorry for her.

The Crow said...

Susan, I had to laugh at your "even when you're pretty sure it was the other party who was nuts." Seems doubly important then, because I'm never too sure about myself!

As for talking with others she was helping, I think that's what her supervisor has been doing for the last week, but - yes - I sure would, too.

Steve said...

Nice to know that the wheels of righteousness do still turn occasionally... this sounds promising. Fingers crossed!

The Crow said...

Thank you, Steve. I am hopeful about the outcome.

Roderick Robinson said...

And so pigs may well fly and Afghanistan will shortly end up with a bicameral form of government based on the transferable vote. I know you've already done this but this story, told straight, is sellable. Now you've got rid of all those copies of The Writer (You have, haven't you?) you've qualified, so stick it on a CD and send it to... wherever. Your first rejection note will represent a positive step towards literary splendour.

Your second submission will be an imaginary reconstruction of how CL got the job in the first place. My guess is that when asked about her qualification she said, "Well, I'm warm-hearted."

The Crow said...

BB: I was saving all my Writer's Digest magazines for you.

I wouldn't know where to send such a story, although it would be icing on the cake to make some money from this farce. I will follow your suggestion about sticking the various chapters on a CD or thumb drive, though. Just in case.

Warm-hearted, my a....

Unknown said...

Glad to hear that a desserts have been served. But I really wanted to say, too late, how much I enjoyed the hymn to Spring, aconites included, in your last post. Bless you Crow.

marja-leena said...

Late to the party .... happy to hear that some answers to that weird event have come after all that agony! Sounds like things are heading in a better direction, I wish you good luck with thumbs pressed and fingers and toes crossed and invocations to the goddesses!

Is that lovely desk a new acquistion?

The Crow said...

Plutarch: I am flattered and pleased you enjoyed the piece about Spring. Thank you for the blessing, too.

The Crow said...

Marja-Leena: That is a lovely desk, isn't it? Not mine, unfortunately, but an image I found through Google, used to illustrate CL's vacated desk at OVR.

KGTigress said...

Hopefully, CL has found a job that is better suited to her...ummm...skills...

Don't give up, though. OVR is there to help you. You just need to get put with a counselor who is more experienced and who can help you find what you are looking for...or at least get you on the right path...

Good luck!! :)