Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Soup Week








I've been fighting a bi-lateral ear infection this week, using soup as my antibiotic of choice...plus, soup tastes better.
...
Started Sunday with Leeky-Potato soup, in chicken broth with a little bit of cream added at the end. Yummy, but not strong enough to knock out the bugs.







Monday night, I made another favorite, Italian Bean and Sausage, in beef and chicken broth, with extra spicy sausage and both white and black peppers. Also made a pan of cornbread, which feels good and scratchy against a sore throat. Used Swiss chard instead of broccoli rabe and was surprised to find I like it very much in soup.






Today, I left work early because my ears hurt so bad I was ready to smash something. Since my bosses were the first things I saw, and because I need them to sign my paychecks, I thought it might be better to just leave work early.

Today's soup is something new, made up from things I could find in the fridge and the pantry. I used chicken broth, some leeks and baby portobello (crimini) mushrooms. This time, I used lots of peppers - black, white and Chipotle chili pepper to up the heat. While searching the freezer for anything else to add, I found the container of orange zest I was saving for cookies or a cake.

I remembered Plutarch's poem, in which he writes:

  • "...in that lacquered Chinese box,
    Where, hard and dry, curled segments
    Of tangerine peel are stored
    (To perfume ice cream or soup)..."

Some of the orange rind went into the soup, lacking tangerine. The Chipotle chili heat almost overpowered the orange zest, but the zest was an unexpected pleasure in the mix. I'll have to buy some tangerines to see what they will add to soup. Perhaps citrus zest is meant for dessert soups or puddings, but I liked it in the Leeky-Mushroom broth.

After a couple of bowls of soup, I fell into bed under extra covers, hoping to sweat out the fever and perhaps open my ears. I slept for almost five hours. The fever is gone and ears feel better, but not clear yet.

Time for more soup, I think.

8 comments:

ArtSparker said...

So which night was I supposed to come for dinner? ill bring my own spoon!

Connie said...

Your soups all look and sound delicious, Martha. Sorry to hear you're not feeling well. I hope you start feeling better soon. If it goes on much longer, you may want to consider seeing a doctor to see if you need to take some antibiotics though. My son had trouble with terrible ear infections when he was little. It affected his hearing somewhat. I waited to take him to the doctor, but I shouldn't have. The antibiotics helped him.

Tomás Serrano said...

Hmmm. Now it´s breakfast time here and you make me wish the dinner, he, he. Thank you for your comment.

Steve said...

The soups look amazing. When are you opening your restaurant...? I can make most nights except... actually, I can make all nights!

Unknown said...

I remember hearing a Chinese writer say that she possessed a tin containing a piece of tangerine peel for culinary use which had belonged to her Mother.

Relucent Reader said...

I have similar problems with my ears, but only since I moved Down Here. Colleagues, some lifelong residents, have similar problems. Odd, as after eating tons o' dust in tanks, I did not have ear problems....
At any road, when the underwater feeling comes which indicates an incipent infection, I hie myself to Little Hunan Chinese restaurant for a bowl of Uncle's Hot&Sour soup, the spicier the better. Works great!
Enjoyed your posting, and will try your soups. Hope you are keeping warm and feeling better.

Harlequin said...

the poem was perfect and the soups looked amazing..... hope you are feeling better soon.

Fresca said...

In the tangential nature of social networking, I would like to post this poem that mentions tangerines here---you probably know it, but just in case...

The line "world is crazier... than we think" could also apply to your experience with the OVR.

"Snow"
by Louis MacNeice

The room was suddenly rich and the great bay-window was
Spawning snow and pink rose against it
Soundlessly collateral and incompatible:
World is suddener than we fancy it.

World is crazier and more of it than we think,
Incorrigibly plural. I peel and portion
A tangerine and spit the pips and feel
The drunkenness of things being various.

And the fire flames with a bubbling sound for world
Is more spiteful and gay than one supposes --
On the tongue on the eyes on the ears in the palms of one's hands--
There is more than glass between the snow and the huge roses.