I found this at Whiskey River, one of my daily stops in Blogland:
- "Do you have doubts about life? Are you unsure if it is really worth the trouble? Look at the sky: that is for you. Look at each person's face as you pass them on the street: those faces are for you. And the street itself, and the ground under the street, and the ball of fire underneath the ground: all these things are for you. They are as much for you as they are for other people. Remember this when you wake up in the morning and think you have nothing. Stand up and face the east. Now praise the sky and praise the light within each person under the sky. It's okay to be unsure. But praise, praise, praise."
- Miranda July
And this, too:
- "Don't disregard your life. It is too precious. This moment, right now, is the only life you will ever have. You can't store it up for the ideal time. When you walk, walk with your whole body and mind joining the floor. Place your eyes in the soles of your feet, walking as if the floor were a dear friend. This is intimacy with all things, where the whole world is self, where there is no "outside" or other."
- Pat Phelan

7 comments:
Ah... much needed medicine. Thank you.
Some very nice ideas to reflect upon - here is another I like from Albert Schweitzer - Never say there is nothing beautiful in the world any more. There is always something to make you wonder in the shape of a tree, the trembling of a leaf.
Best wishes to you and your family for the festive season
Of course we have doubts; to doubt is to think, to be certain is to put yourself and others at risk. People who are certain contemplate an outdoor market where ordinary men, women and children are buying their daily staples and then press the button. What I'm doing, they tell themselves, is worth all this bloodshed. That is an obvious and terrible form of certainty. Less obvious forms emerge from politicians and TV pundits. Doubt certainty. Cherish an imperfect view of yourself while simultaneously saying this can be, and will be, improved. But stay away from sharp tools.
I have never seen those lights outside videos and pictures. My disdain for cold probably means I never will.
Somewhere, I recall someone mentioning that the lights can even be heard at times. That might be a bit of stretch and fabrication. I like to think it is not.
Good to read this. Various things have been filtering (leaking?) through my brain, that it's always a beginning and ending, every minute, I mean I have been thinking about this. That the world is full of ordinary wonders and that at this moment I am full of the futility of existence simply because I have been trying to snake out my own drain to avoid getting my beastly landlord in, and I can't get the snake to go in...
Surely the fact that this is so frustrating as to make me rail against fate makes me a tragic heroine?
Lovely reminders :)
best wishes for the coming year
Ribbon
Have always wanted to see the Northern Lights.
Life is dark as well as light.
Post a Comment