Thursday, December 17, 2009

Too Long for the Comment Box

(Google rejected this response to Barrett Bonden that I tried to make in the previous post's comment box, so I have turned it into a separate post. I hope that doing so does not make my response more important or weighty than it is intended. I am too long-winded for my own good, at times, and this might be one of those times.)

BB, my dear friend,

I take issue, Friend, with your use of the word antipathy in describing my comments to you. I don't dislike you (- yet - and there is a big, teasing grin attached to that. I'm wise-cracking, BB.) I made my comments in teasing friendship, though in the one case, I likely misunderstood what you meant, that regarding squashes. (In my ignorance and misunderstanding, I didn't know if you were saying you couldn't eat them [for health reasons], or if they were unavailable to you [some squashes have a long growing season and need hotter summers than I thought England might have]. It didn't come across to me that your comment might mean you simply didn't like to eat them.) For me to continue on about squashes, at this point, though, would be like beating the proverbial dead horse.

So let's move on to the other two issues: the tongue-in-cheek remarks I made about the Irish-Americans in New Orleans on St. Patrick's Day, and your bread-crumb comment from an earlier posting about being of two minds regarding the independence of the American colony.

First, let me say that I believe American Irish are as different from Irish nationals as American Africans are from African nationals. We are Americans, who wear the trappings of our motherlands: trappings, burdens, prejudices and third- and fourth-generation memories. Both groups have romanticized views of what it means to be Irish and African, respectively, that are based not on first-hand experience gained from living in those countries (for the most part - always dangerous to speak in generalities, isn't it?) but on the biases of our cultures and the not-always-objective histories handed down to us. Make no mistake, however; we all are Americans, whether one sees that as a blessing or a curse. I think it's pretty cool, myself.

My understanding of the impact of the hostilities (civil war, really) between the Irish and the English in Northern Ireland is, obviously, not going to be the same as it would be for you. So let me apologize if my off-hand, meant-to-be-funny, remarks about Irish-Americans and their
social ecumenicism - which lasts for the twenty-four hours of one day out of the year and is meant to be a sharing of fun and the joy of being Irish in a land where it is okay to be proud of your ancestral nationality - might have touched a heretofore unrecognized-by-me source of discomfort within your heart. I wrote that part of my post with a few people in mind, one of whom is you. The other intended targets who read this blog and are of Irish descent or from New Orleans would recognize the self-deprecating humor in the comments about what the Catholic Irish descendants in New Orleans might give thanks for and what the non-Irish Catholics might give thanks for. I had hoped you would take up the gauntlet, but I didn't know my remarks would be interpreted as antipathetic.

One of the things I most enjoy about our correspondences is that you, perhaps unintentionally, perhaps purposefully, drop little sparklies that catch my crow’s eye, leading me to investigate further. One such splinter of brightness was your reference to Barbara Tuchman’s history of the American Revolution. I quote: “Just reading a Barbara Tuchman account of how Britain lost that particular colony and, you know what?, it's left me in two minds.”

What a curious thing to say, I thought at the time, in response to a post about soup. I'm guessing that what triggered your comment was your expressed thought that you didn’t think anything could be bought for 32-cents anymore in the US, but still, it was the leap from discussing soup to political history that I found intriguing. Hence, my pursuit of that leap with you, which led, I think, to your second response above.

I think you do Americans a disservice in the paragraph which begins, "There is one further matter that needs clarification for US readers." Not every American is as ignorant as am I, BB, and - therefore - needful of clarification. But even I know the accepted view is that the British Empire began to unravel not with America's triumphant war of independence, but with the loss of its crown jewel, India, in the 30s and 40s of the past century. However, if Edmund Burke(*) is to be believed, it can be argued that the first snags in the cloth of the Empire actually began with the imperialism of the East India Company in the mid-1700s, which manifested in its heavy-handed dealings with the peoples of that nation. Certainly, the EIC's oppressive actions sowed the seeds of discontent that were, 200 years later, to bear fruit in India's fight for independence.

So, my dear friend, have I made my muddled thinking clearer, or have I made things worse? Have I misunderstood your intentions, your thoughts, again? And, finally, would you prefer we take any further discussions along these lines to email?

(*) I like to think it was Burke's education in a Quaker school that helped form his democratic – egalitarian, really - views of how to deal with one's citizenry. Too bad King George didn't listen. Too bad His Majesty's "star chamber" of advisors had taken control of the king. Any truth to the rumors that King George's mind was being systematically destroyed by poisons fed to him in his meals and wine, by members of his own family?


Martha

6 comments:

Roderick Robinson said...

You've opened several cans of worms, there, Crow. Let me toss in a few responses.

(1) As briefly as possible I avoid all water-bearing vegetables. Too squishy. Cucumber, which belongs to this clan, I avoid because of its taste. I have been accused "cucumbrism" and I accept the charge.

(2) The Britain vs. Ireland spat is well-known in the US but not completely known. In the few discussions I have had on this topic (which I avoid, just like water-bearing vegetables) Americans rarely refer to the Protestant loyalists who are in the majority in the Six Counties in the north. These horrible people, who are nevertheless UK citizens (Along with the Catholics who also live in FATDAD), are the main reason why successive British governments have been compelled to provide protective troops in the north instead of doing what virtually everyone in Britain would dearly like and that's get rid of the whole boiling. I did say that things are tranquil in NI but that's not true. The old enemy Sinn Fein/Provisional IRA are now part of the on-and-off parliament at Stormont but the Continuity IRA and the Real IRA (much tinier, less well organised) recently shot two British soldiers who emerged from the gate of their barracks to take delivery of some pizzas. Just to emphasise things, the bandits also shot the pizza man too. Also recently, a judge who sentenced two CIRA men (possibly for this murder; I can't remember) has had to sell his house and move out of the province because of threats.

(3) When the US is brought into the UK/Ireland spat I have to tread warily. There is an organisation - quite open - in New York whose name I forget (Noraid?) which financed the Provo IRA throughout the past decades. Not surprising, really, since I believe more Irish live in New York than in Ireland.

(4) All colonialism is bad. India was a milch cow which Britain sucked at for far too long. Eventually we were deservedly kicked out but at least we left some semblance of order behind us (always excepting the Pakistan partition). Contrast this with the basket case the Belgians left behind in the Congo. And in some cases our ex-colonials actually speak to us - as far as I can tell M-L doesn't bear a grudge. However if you want to find out about colonialism in the twentieth and twenty-first century read any of the relevant essays by America's cleverest writer - Gore Vidal.

(5) Soup > Staff of life > Mens sana in corpore sano > Books > Quiet contemplation.

The Crow said...

BB, and anyone else:

Well, hush my mouth!

Martha

Steve said...

I just love a sparkly debate!

The Crow said...

Steve: I'm glad you understand we are just razzing each other.

:)

Roderick Robinson said...

Razzing? I think you may augmented my enormous vocabulary, Crow.

The Crow said...

Razzing - verbally giving one the raspberries.

:p

:)