Thursday, December 31, 2009

There's a Moon Out Tonight

...
Hanover awoke to white skies and white fluff everywhere this morning. If it stays clouded over through evening, the blue moon will not be visible here. That makes me a little blue (just disappointed, actually) because it is rare for a blue moon to occur on New Year's Eve. I will keep my fingers crossed that the clouds lift and the heavens clear so that I may enjoy this rare event.
...
In the meantime, I will enjoy Ella's singing of Rodgers' and Hart's song.

4 comments:

Steve said...

Keeping my fingers crossed for your view of the blue moon - happy New Year to you!

marja-leena said...

I was awake a few times last night and noticed the brilliant moon had emerged for a while from clouds and had the same hope that it would be clear tonight. Still hoping...

Here's wishing you a New Year of joys, good health and much creativity and fulfillment, dear Crow!

Anonymous said...

We are socked in with fog. Can't even see the fireworks over downtown. The Twilight Zone marathon on SyFy will have to suffice.

Roderick Robinson said...

Mrs BB and I courted (how strangely medieval that sounds) to Sinatra's "Songs for swinging lovers" and Ella's definitive "Rogers and Hart song book." As we embarked on this fifty-year voyage we bore in mind Lorenz Hart's awful warning: "When love congeals/It soon reveals/The faint aroma of performing seals/The double-crossing of a pair of heels/I wish I was in love again."

Despite this the definitive "Blue moon" was not, for me, by Ella but by Jane Froman who sang it in her own bio-pic "With a song in my heart" starring Susan Hayward. I note from the IMDB that this film appeared in 1952. This surprises me because I was seventeen then and already an advanced cynic. I had the impression I was younger and therefore much more vulnerable to Froman's fluty sonorous voice. In that case when did my vulnerability switch off?