Thursday, December 3, 2009

Home, Sweet Home



Because I burdened all who visit here with tales of woe regarding my daughter and grandson, I thought it only right to let you know their lives have taken a turn for the better. They have found a home in a wonderful apartment building (pictured above) here in town, just a few blocks from my house.
...
The apartment building's "life" story has elements that echo my daughter's life. Both were at one time vibrant, busy and active. Both fell on hard times that led to decline and apathy, plus depression in my daughter's case. Both were rescued, rehabilitated and brought back to life after a period of decay.
...
The apartment building started life as a factory, where Hanover Shoes were made. This was one of the industries that helped make Hanover a bustling manufacturing town for about fifty years. It had been sitting empty, windows broken out, graffiti-marked, when we first moved to town over 24 years ago. The building was vandalized, stripped of anything valuable, and became an abandoned derelict that cost the town thousands of dollars in lost revenue. The out-of-state owner refused to sell it or let it be torn down, and had no interest in restoring it for any purpose. I don't know how many years back-taxes he owed, but it was significant. The building became home to vagrants and thousands of pigeons and rats, feral dogs and cats. In fact, the place had fallen into such a shabby state that the local fire department, housed just down the block, went on record that should the building catch fire, they would push the walls in rather than try to save it.
...
After many years wrangling with different redevelopers, the owner was persuaded (some say forcefully persuaded) to sell to the current owners. There has long been a need for low-income housing in our town, but plans for building such accommodations were always met with strong resistance. However, the current owners presented plans which overcame area residents' fears of public housing (read ghetto - their perception), and we now have a beautifully redesigned, repurposed apartment complex available to low-to-moderate income families and seniors. Enough about the apartment building.
...
If you were here when I wrote about evicting Daughter and Grandson from my home, you'll recall that my beloved daughter had slipped into such a sad state that she had pretty much given up trying to care for herself and her son. It didn't help her for me to continue bailing her out. She became dependent and even more deeply depressed. Her life skills, so to speak, weakened and she was going deeper into debt than she was when she moved in with me the year before.
...
The first three or four weeks they lived at the motel she was in a state of shock. Almost every cent she had coming in went to pay rent for their room. She had little money left over to buy gas or feed herself during the day. She had reached a very low spot and considered giving up all together. Often the only meal she had was the one we shared at my house each evening. (Donovan had breakfast and lunch provided at his school.) It hurt deeply to watch her struggle with their situation, but I knew that if I did more to solve her dilemma, I would only be making things worse for them. Knowing that, however, did nothing to ease my Mom-guilt.
...
My daughter is an intelligent human being, a magnificent problem-solver and organizer, creative and innovative, hard-working and diligent - except when it comes to her personal life when she falls into depression. Yet, something snapped in her, about a month into living in that motel. She took the reins of her life back into her own hands and said, essentially, "Enough of this crap!"
...
For many years, Karie volunteered with a group called Survivors, for victims of emotional and physical abuse. She knew all the social agencies to contact to get help for the women who came to the agency, and was a strong advocate and mentor for women leaving abusive relationships, since she had done the same. Now she became an advocate for herself and for her son. Having to fight for herself and Donovan snapped her out of the decline she was in. She applied to homeless shelters, to several low-income apartment complexes and to privately owned apartments. She sought and obtained a financial counselor for help with her money management problems.
...
One of the results of her new-found strength and determination is that they now have a lovely two-bedroom apartment in a recently remodeled, secure apartment building that has almost everything they need within walking distance of their new home. The apartment is on the top floor of the building, is spacious, bright and airy - very nice. Karie gave me the grand tour this morning. She hopes to finish moving in over the weekend.
...
She is so excited and happy with the way her life is turning around. She has every reason to feel proud of her accomplishments. I am also proud of her, happy for them both and greatly relieved. We all can breathe a little easier now.
...
She informed me that we're having Christmas at her house this year, the first of many, I hope. Thank you, Universe, for helping my daughter find herself again.
(c) 2009 Martha McLemore

28 comments:

Unknown said...

If your gratitude to the universe can be shared mine joins yours. It is always inspiring to hear how one can pull oneself out of difficult times and surface smiling. Cheers to you, Karie and Donovan.

Steve said...

And a big thank you and well done to her mother too for being strong enough to step back a little and let her have the space to find her own strength and sense of spirit. Hope, if it is ever called for, that I can be that strong with my kids...

marja-leena said...

Wow, good news indeed! I'm so very happy for the three of you. Congratulations to both you and your daughter for your perseverance. And yes, gratitude for the universe! Sounds like it's going to be a good Christmas.

KaliDurga said...

Ah, Martha, that's wonderful! This Christmas will be ever so much brighter for you, Karie, and Donovan, with so much to celebrate. I hope the coming new year will just get better and better for you all.

Zhoen said...

It's all too easy to exempt ourselves from the rules we know apply to everyone.

Good moms teach hard lessons, and trust their children to survive and learn.

The Crow said...

Plutarch: Thank you for your words of good cheer. I passed them along to Karie this afternoon, and they are much appreciated.

:)

The Crow said...

Steve: I hope your children never face a similar situation, but I know they will have your loving support if they do.

:)

The Crow said...

Marja-Leena: Karie sounds more hopeful than she has in a long time. I believe she and Donovan are going to be better than okay. Thank you, on their behalf, for your kind words.

:)

The Crow said...

KD: I believe their worst days are behind them. Lots of good things are happening for them right now.

:)

The Crow said...

Zhoen: Sometimes it is the mom who learns the hardest lesson. Kareema is a quick study, especially when the motivation comes from within. She's a strong woman; she'll do well. Thank you.

:)

susan said...

I was just so happy to read this news I'm at a loss for words to write. All I can think to say is that it's wonderful news for the three of you and those of us who love you.

Jon said...

I thought then that it was the right thing to do... and now your instinct is vindicated...

glad to hear that it's working out for her... and i like the analogy with the building

it's so nice to hear about things working out, when so often they do not

Lindsay Lobe said...

That’s such a wonderful story, to add to your recent positive mantra ! - so congratulations to you and your beautiful daughter and her son.

Best wishes

Roderick Robinson said...

It seems fitting your daughter's regeneration should be occurring in a regenerated building. And, as in all good upbeat stories, this is happening in the run-up to Christmas. Sound as if the hotel, however, could be prescribed as some kind of aversion therapy. My best wishes to them both and of course to you too for sticking it out and doing those hard things you had to. Time to get out the Christmas lights.

e said...

Wonderful news! Thank you for sharing it! This is probably the most uplifting thing I will read/hear today. Brought a tear to my eye.

I don't know that I would ever have had the strength to do what you had to do, Martha.

Hugs to you and yours.

Deedee said...

How wonderful! As we get older, we come to realize that we can kill our kids with kindness. It's harmful to do too much and so difficult to set tough boundaries(I know this from first hand experience.) But it's great to hear they have a nice new home and things are looking up! Best wishes to all!

The Crow said...

Everyone: Thank you for your kind words and good wishes. I've passed them on to Kareema, who is touched by you unexpected support.

We'll be moving their belongings in all weekend. They've been staying with me for a few days, for the transition between motel and apartment, but will spend their first night in their new home this Sunday. Donovan discovered that one of the boys from his after-school club for Asperger kids lives one floor down. He's jazzed about that. Kareema met the boy's mother and thinks there may be a kindred-soul friendship there for her, too. She needs to mingle with parents who have Asperger offspring, for the support and friendship and networking such relationships can provide. Besides, she needs friends, period.

Kareema acknowledges she has a ton of work before her, but she is looking for the positives in their lives right now, trying to stay focused on what's working for her. I am so proud of her.

They are in a good place, both in terms of their home and in their well-being.

Again, thank you all.

:)

Lucy said...

Late to the party, but as this is the moving day, extra best wishes and I hope all went well.

It was such a strong, brave thing to do to refuse to go on enabling her, while continuing to support her as you did. So good that it brought such encouraging results.

It looks a fine, dignified building, it's good to hear stories of regeneration. Wishing you all a wonderful Christmas together there.

The Crow said...

Dear Lucy, you are never late here.

It snowed here yesterday, not much but enough to make loading the moving van miserable work. There are just a few things left to move, then we begin setting up beds and unpacking boxes at the apartment. Such happy work in comparison to when we were packing things up last year to move her into my home.

I've been listening to Beethoven today; thank you, again, friend.

:)

Maria said...

What an incredibly strong woman you are.

Spadoman said...

Not often you get to hear of a triumph over problems. This was good to read about. I'll send more positive energy to all of you so this is just the start of good things in your lives.

Peace.

Harlequin said...

congratulations to you ( most of all ) and your daughter and grandson.... hopes and prayers to all of you :)

The Crow said...

Maria: I don't feel so strong, but thank you for the encouragment.

:)

The Crow said...

Hello, Joe:

She's worked very hard over the last three months to get her life onto a good path. Kareema has a lot of work ahead of her, but she is doing so much better.

Thank you for your good thoughts and prayers. They are very much appreciated and welcom.

:)

The Crow said...

Harlequin:

Thank you for your good wishes. I've passed them along to Kareema, too.

:)

ArtSparker said...

It's good to hear about this. Best wishes to you and your daughter.

The Crow said...

ArtSparker - Susan:

Thank you for your good wishes. I will pass them along.

:)

KGTigress said...

I would just like to say "Thank you" to all who have sent kind words and encouragement. Donovan & I are doing better than we ever have and have a bright future ahead of us. I look forward to even MORE "better days"....they are a-comin'!! :)

Bless you all!