Thursday, November 19, 2009

New Mantra

I subscribe to a couple of e-mail healthcare newsletters, for info on living with my various maladies, and in one of them this morning was a mantra to combat the doom and gloom of economic and other news. I've added it to the one I borrowed from Mary Tuel. Now, in addition to celebrating each new day with "I'm still here," I also will repeat "Good times are coming!"
...
Indeed they are. Can't help but be so. For one thing, my most favorite holiday/cause for celebration is coming next Thursday - Thanksgiving Day. One of the reasons this last Thursday in every November makes me happier than a dog with a meaty bone is pictured above. Thank you, Universe, for pumpkin pies!
...
Before that arrives, though, this Saturday the Kids and I are going on a day trip down to Washington, DC, to visit National Geographic Museum's Terra Cotta Warriors exhibit. We're so excited. I get to do two - no, three - things I enjoy: road trip (I'm driving down to Rockville, where we'll catch the Metro in to DC), fun time with Kid and Grandkid, and immersing myself in another culture and their art.
...
Today, I'm cooking pinto beans, a reminder of my impoverished childhood in some ways, but (even more important) a reminder that I do, in fact, know how to provide for myself and my family. Sometimes I get so wrapped up in feeling sorry for my current situation, and overcome with fearfulness, that I forget that it was always the tough times in my life that taught me the best lessons in survival...no, more than just survival - how to thrive in spite of hard times. Besides, I love pinto beans, served with brown rice and a thick slab of fresh, hot cornbread that has been slathered in butter.
...
I don't think it gets much better than this. If it does, I'll let you know.
...
PS: For the foodies among us, while looking for good images of pumpkin pies, I fell into a great blog about food: Mixed Greens. I borrowed her pie picture, above.
(c) 2009 Martha McLemore

16 comments:

Roderick Robinson said...

I envy you Thanksgiving Day. I think it's the holiday that's least corrupted by the claws of commerce. We tried to see the Terracotta Warriors when they were in London but they were incredibly popular. You had to book a slot and all the acceptable ones were gone. There was an upside, though. We went instead to the Tate Modern and I made my acquantance for the first time with the works of Louise Bourgeois. Next stop Google.

The Crow said...

BB: You read my mind and typed it before I could finish thinking, "Louise Bourgeois? Gotta Google!" You devil, you!

The historical society where I'm employed is sponsoring a trip to see the Warriors, but I couldn't afford the ticket price (nearly $100 per person), so I - of course - Googled the museum and was able to purchase tickets for all three of us for less than $45. Funny thing is that our time is the same as the reserved slot for the historical society! Once in, we can take our time to view the exhibit, but we may not take photos. I'll just have to use something from the exhibit catalogue when I post about it.

:)

The Crow said...

BB: I Googled and the first thing on the list is the Wikipedia entry, so I clicked on it ...

SPIDER!!!!

ARRRGGGHHHH!

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:NGC_Maman.JPG)

Steve said...

My wife has a saying that has stood me in good stead: even when times are bad the good things are still good... hanging onto that fact brightens many a black day. ;-)

The Crow said...

Steve:

That's a good one, too; adding it to my list. Thank you, and please thank Mrs. Steve for me, as well.

(By the way, just wait until young Tom begins adding new words to his vocabulary...those words you think he doesn't hear. :-D )

ArtSparker said...

Hope you get some pie in a roadside joint on the journey - in my opinion, the best part of roadtrips. A la mode, of course.

Marja-Leena said...

Dang, I lost my lovely long comment! Now what did I say....

Oh, wish I could see the Terracotta Warriors, I've seen a a couple of replicas only but sister-in-law saw the site in China and took some great photos. And I"d love to see Louise Bourgeois as well. Anyway, have a great trip!

Mixed Greens has been on my reading list for a couple of months for it deals with growing in the Pacific Northwest. Now I just need a veggie plot to go with it!

KaliDurga said...

Ah, thanks for reminding me that I've been meaning to check out the terracotta warrior exhibit on my lunch break. I hope you all have a great time this weekend. Drive safely!

And now you've got me craving corn bread...

Sir Hugh said...

My mantra is "do it now".

Have a good Thanksgiving - we don't have an equivalent here.

Spadoman said...

You've got me looking for pie pumpkins so I can bake some pumpkin pies from scratch! They look so good. I better make some this weekend to practice for Thanksgiving.

Thanks for this nice post about food.

Peace

susan said...

Thanksgiving has always been my favorite American holiday too for all the reasons mentioned. I developed a taste for pumpkin pies late in life (if past 30 counts) but know now they're wonderful. I prefer mine with real whipped cream :-)

I hope you all enjoy a wonderful trip to the museum. That would definitely be a show worth seeing.

Woman in a Window said...

For me too, the toughest times being the best. I'm counting on that this Christmas, to make some kick arse memories for my kids.

Thanksgiving this Thursday down there...a good excuse for me to start decking the halls up here. Cookies in the oven and lights up outside, I think. Wish we'd get a little of the white stuff.

Have fun on the road and enjoy those beans...soon followed by turkey!
xo
erin

Tomás Serrano said...

I´m happy if my drawing made you laugh. Thank you for visiting.

Harlequin said...

great looking pies; happy thanksgiving!
can relate on the lessons of tough times.... and glad you are able to see how strong, resilient and tender you are

Spadoman said...

I made the pies and they were devoured quickly! MMMMMMMMM Good!
Sorry I couldn't send you a slice.

Peace.

Lucy said...

Hope it was a good trip. Pinto beans and cornbread do sound good...