Saturday, November 14, 2009

Have Mercy


While visiting BB this morning, I Googled the title of a piece of music he mentioned, Miserere, and found something all together unexpected: a heaven-sent voice paired with a voice that has garlged one too many rocks. I anticipated that I would find a piece of classical, sacred or operatic music. I found Bocelli and Zucchero. (To hear it as Allegri must have intended it, go here, then here. Prepare for goosebumps.)

That led to Pavarotti and Zucchero singing Va Pensiero .

It's like listening to angels singing with a frog. . .or with Dr. John. . .or Joe Cocker. I like the contrast.

Really got into Zucchero's Baila Morena: very New Orleans voodoo-scene.

Now, BB, put that sword away.
(c) 2009 Martha McLemore

14 comments:

Zhoen said...

I much prefer the natural voice to the highly trained one.

The Crow said...

Zhoen:
That must be why I enjoy singers like Joplin, Cash, Cocker, et al, as much as I do. My father had a very good singing voice, but I liked it best when he sang ragged blues songs.

:)

Steve said...

The discovery of new music is one of life's best joys.

The Crow said...

Steve: Yes, it is! I like YouTube because it allows me to sample works I don't know without having to spend a great deal of money to discover whether I like it or not. Listening to works through my computer headphones can be a bit dodgy, but I enjoy doing so.

:)

Deedee said...

I love a raggedy voice. It is so much better at conveying honest emotion than something that has been put through the technological strainer as so much of the music that's popular now. Joe Cocker, Dr. John, Van Morrison, Randy Newman, Bob Dylan, Maryanne faithful, Janis-just can't touch them.

The Crow said...

Deedee:

I like the ragged-voiced singers, as well. Raw emotion is their forte, not to be missed or dismissed.

The cultured voice, the refined voice, the crooner - all have their places, as well. Pavarotti singing Nessun Dorma still hits me hard, every time I hear it. Same with Sinatra's One for my Baby, although I liked it better when he was older. His years added gravitas to his voice and the lyrics.

I guess it depends on what I'm in the mood for listening to at the moment. I grew up with gravel-gargling singers, so I lean in that direction most of the time.

Thanks for reminding me of Maryanne Faithful. Must try to find her on YouTube.

:)

Harlequin said...

two amazing voices, each in his own way... although Bocelli's is a rare gift, and even more so for his having so little training.
Isn't it sweet to get goosebumps just from listening?

Roderick Robinson said...

Raggedy's fine; ever heard Casals singing along to himself as he plays one of Bach cello suites. Good cello, lousy singer. The Sixteen isn't (aren't?) raggedy but then neither was Karen Carpenter. Or are you allowed to refer to her these days? As to the sword, I've sharpened it following the reaction of my nearest and dearest.

Roderick Robinson said...

I commented on the above and then the posting mechanism seemed to slip a cog. I am not sure whether the post went through and am unwilling to appear as a black-eared loon and risk having it appear twice. Will you accept the wish if it doesn't?

The Crow said...

Harlequin:
Goosebumps when listning to music and/or voices is the icing on the cake, so to speak; very sweet, indeed.

:)

The Crow said...

BB:
I've never heard Casals sing, am surprised that he did.

Not sure why I wouldn't be allowed to speak of Karen Carpenter. Her death was tragic, preventable and cut short a good voice. Of all the songs I've heard her sing, I like the one my mother used to sing frequently - "When I Fall in Love."

So sorry about the sword, BB.

:)

The Crow said...

BB: I didn't realize you had sent another comment until this evening (Sun 9:15 PM). I've posted both comments received.

Black-eared loon? Google, here I come.

:)

marja-leena said...

I'd read BB's post yesterday so I was pleasantly surprised to find your links. Finally had some time to listen to them. I must admit I'm an opera fan and of Pavarotti, so there, but enjoyed everything, they are wonderful. Thank you, dear Crow.

ArtSparker said...

I love rough voices - Shane MacGowan's for one, and of course Mr. Waits.