
(I don't remember whose art this is at the top of this post. I found this image years ago, when I was collecting crow pictures for reference material, so I apologize for using uncredited art. I shall look on the Internet to try to find this again, and give full credit when I do.)
The crows are back. Now that the cat who used to live here has moved in with daughter and grandson, they've begun coming into the backyard again. I have missed them very much. They used to perch in the larches and the oak each morning for their gab-fest...and to wake me, too, I believe. They knew I soon would appear on the sidewalk with a plate full of hot dog pieces for their morning snack. If I managed to beat them to the yard, I would whistle for them. Off in the distance, I'd hear them talking to one another, then would see a couple of them fly overhead, silent, watching me as they did a flyby. The first ones would hightail it back to the arboretum in a straight line, the opposite of the meandering approach and circular flybys. About halfway back, they began calling to the ones left behind. I liked to imagine they were quoting the morning menu.
This is the time of year that nesting pairs have begun or are nearly finished building or repairing nests, having dispensed with the courtship/bonding rituals a couple of weeks earlier. During the courtship/bonding period, males break off twigs to present to the females, perhaps as engagement tokens, or - more likely - to prove they can provide nesting materials. Truthfully, I have no idea why they do this, but they're funny to watch as they do. One year I watched a male present his twig five or six times to the female he wooed, only to have her rebuff him and his twig. Finally, he went to the farther end of the branch, set the twig under his foot, picked up the end opposite the one he had been holding, and presented it again. Ha! This time she accepted the twig and the romance commenced.
Last spring, one of the unmated yearlings claimed the tip of the tallest larch in the backyard. The first part of the morning, he cawed loudly in all directions, chest puffed up, body swaying in the breeze. A few of the older birds, including the pair I think are his parents, flew by, cawing once, as if to say, "Yeah, we see you." Mr. Show-off puffed up even more and shook the tree top. He cawed a couple more times, then began stripping off the small twigs, starting at the one just under the very tip, down to about a foot below where he sat. By the time he finished tearing off the tender twigs, the tree top resembled something Dr. Seuss might have drawn. It still looks that way, almost a year later. What was that all about, I wonder.
This morning, one of the older birds took up his (might be her, don't know) favorite perch in the sassafras tree outside my window, just before daybreak, and called the sun up. Of course, I got up, too, and turned on the bedside lamp. When I lifted the shade, I came eye to eye with my alarm clock. For just a few seconds we gazed at each other; a small connection between two Others - the Crow and the not-Crow. With one great flap of his wings, he was gone, leaving behind a crow-shaped hole (as Plutarch once said) in the air.
I'm so glad they're back.
(c) 2010 Martha McLemore
15 comments:
Crows are so wonderful and beautiful.
I noticed a swirl of them the other evening, flying to their nighttime roost, and wished I had my film camera.
The story about the boy crow turning his twig offering around cracks me up. The girl crow knew he had got hold of the wrong end of the stick!
I'm fast developing a love of crows. It's good to learn more of them. I've not given them a fair shake over the years but I do intend on beginning to feed them...as soon as I can remember to get my own arse out the door!
xo
erin
It's good to know your friends have returned. I can't imagine why it is that some people don't like them - maybe because they're smarter than some people :-)
Martha, have you ever read any of Bernd Heinrich's books about his raven studies? What you just described reminded me of him and I think you'd enjoy his work, even if it does deal with crow's bigger brother.
I love crows. Definitely one of my favourite birds. They're such a wonderful shape, especially when they are flying, wings outstretched... so distinctive. Ted Hughes described the crow in a poem as flying the black flag of himself...
An intesting post about Crows which are very smart birds. Crows are thought to have similar brain capacities in some respects as chimps and you’re probably already aware of their activities to drop hard-shelled nuts onto busy streets to be run over and cracked open by cars whose opened contents can then be consumed as cars stop for red lights.
Raptors in Australia also use rocks as a tool to break open a large egg – they hurl the rock from their beak within close proximity to break it open when it is too tough otherwise to be opened in the traditional way by use of for their strong beaks.
I have no idea about the crow twig exchange –possibly as you say this is a very elaborate decorative creative invitation to begin nest building?
After all we go through some strange rituals ourselves at times dont we ?
Best wishes
When we were very poor I offered Mrs BB (then Miss T) a broken twig as a token of my affection and as a substitute for an engagement ring. Romantic. eh? But Miss T saw straight through this West Yorkshire gesture as a barely disguised attempt to be cheap. As a result I was forced to sell my Bond Minicar and we went to Carrington's, the Queen's jeweller, in Regent's Street where I tried again, this time with a diamond and the rest was (no, is now) history. But coming from the West Yorkshire eventually paid off. I kept the Carrington's receipt, which looked as if it had been written with a quill pen, and when a burglar stole all our jewellery I was able to prove to the miserable Doubting Thomas from the insurance company that I had in fact bought the ring. Sorry about this, but I didn't have a crow story close to hand.
I'm glad that your crows are back and The Crow back from her accounts.
P.S. I'm glad you liked the "all that shines must be observed" quote--I lifted it off someone else's blog too (but forget whose--just someone I read in passing, browsing around the nets).
I liked the Rascal Flats song too--you've taken it down now?
I do so love your crow stories, Martha! I'm hoping all is well with you.
what nice dual treat: a tribute and a tale.
thanks !
Thanks, everyone, for your kind remarks.
Fresca: I did take pictures, but I was too far away and didn't have my zoom lens on. The pictures turned out very grainy, but I kept them for the memory they evoke. (I took down the song-eo post because it was addressed to family, and I thought this might not be the best venue for it. However, I put the song back for me.)
Erin: once you start feeding them, they'll reward you by visiting your yard a couple of times a day, ever on the lookout for more. Eventually they will hang around in trees on your property and start talking to you when you go outside. Talk back, in our language or in theirs - I think it amuses them.
Susan: You might have hit the nail right on the head!
KD: I've placed one of his books in my Amazon wish list, for when I can start buying books again.
Steve: Thank you very much for the link to Hughes' poem! I enjoyed reading it and have added that book to my wish list, as well.
Lindsay: I watched a video, can't remember who produced it, that showed crows dropping nuts, then waiting on the curb for the traffic light to change so they could collect the cracked nut. Fascinating birds, to be sure.
BB: That is the best story you could have told. Your twig worked, or you wouldn't have made it to the ring-buying stage. You only think you chose Mrs. BB, by the way: it was, clearly, the other way 'round.
Plutarch: I am very happy to be back, Joe. Thank you.
Bev: Thank you for the compliment. I am pleased you enjoy them. All is getting better every day.
Thank you, Harlequin, for visiting and your kind words.
:)
Oh, thank you Sophie! I do love crows - so intelligent and so beautiful!
Hello, Deedee:
Good to see you here. Hope things are better up your way that they have been lately.
I have been following one family of crows for several years now. The seem to rule the trees in a nearby arboretum, but spend a lot of time in my yard. I'm glad they do.
:)
They're back here in Scotland too. :-) THey were nesting in a large group in the forest nearby over Decmber, but they are definitely pairing off and picking sites already.
A flock of rooks, crows and jackdaws gathering to roost is just amazing, but virtually impossible to photograph as they go as it gets dark. But you can hear them!
Post a Comment