Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Rude Beggars

Good eats.



When I was a girl and we lived in the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas, we had a neighbor, Mrs. May (referred to as ‘Miz Widder May’ by locals), whose mentally retarded adult daughter lived with her in a cabin a few miles away. Her daughter, Ruby, would wander down the lanes, through the fields and woods, across the ‘hollers’, on ‘haintins,’ or visits.

Mrs. May wasn’t a widow. Her husband had left her with the infant Ruby nearly forty years previous when their child was diagnosed as retarded. Ruby had had a stroke when she was in her late thirties, and her speech was slow and slurred. (The unkind teenage boys my cousins hung around with called her “Mush-mouth.” My aunt told her boys that if she ever heard them call Ruby that name, she would skin their backsides and rub them down with salt.)

Ruby visited us one spring afternoon, carrying an apron full of mushrooms she had collected at one of the sycamore sinkholes near their farm. She also had a couple of softball-sized purple vegetables with her. Ruby called the mushrooms dog-peckers, a name which sent my brothers into gales of laughter and made my mother blush almost as deep a color as the purple softballs. (The mushrooms turned out to be morels, which another neighbor, Aunt Dessie, showed me how to cook, since Mama had never seen them before.)

Mama asked Ruby about the purple softballs.

Shaysroobegguzz.”

Mama asked Ruby to repeat what she said, but more slowly.

“Daze…rude…begg-guzz.”

“Rude beggars?” More howls of laughter from my brothers. Mama shot them a look that would have stopped a train in its tracks. Brothers decided there was something urgent they needed to see outside and ran from the room…and from Mama.

Cloznuf,” Ruby answered, grinning at my mother’s confusion. I’m certain Ruby left our cabin feeling sorry for the children who lived there, having a mother who couldn’t hear right.

Of course, you realize the purple softballs were rutabagas, or Swedes; also called yellow turnips. Mama didn’t know about those, either. She knew turnips, of course, and thought Ruby’s gift might be unusually large, dark purple turnips, so she told my aunt later. She laughed at herself for misunderstanding Ruby. So, from that day on, the purple softballs were rude beggars.

When I was ‘haintin’ the grocery a few days ago, looking for cheap eats, I picked up a rude beggar, a head of cabbage, a couple of leeks and some carrots, determined to make something tasty with them. I turned them, and a few more ingredients, into soup on New Year’s.

I made so much of it, I’ll be eating it for at least a week. It was better today than it was yesterday, as most soups tend to be, getting better as they age.

Naturally, I’ve named it Rude Beggar soup.
(c)2010 Martha McLemore

16 comments:

ArtSparker said...

I think there is a gene for appreciating soup - my mother was only able to appreciate its comfort in the last few weeks of her life.

marja-leena said...

Great story! I love rutabagas, especially roasted, so now I'll remember them as rude beggars!

The Crow said...

ArtSparker:

There is a reason soup is called comfort food. It comforts you as you make it, knowing you are creating something to nourish the bodies of all who eat it, and comforts you when you eat it, for it tells you somebody cares.

At least, that's how I feel about it. I love making soups. It can seem magical at times, the blending of all the ingredients.

I'm glad you mother was able to enjoy soup at last.

Thank you for stopping by.

:)

The Crow said...

Marja-Leena, I've never had them roasted, so I have something to look forward to; thank you.

:)

Roderick Robinson said...

Arkansas. Somehow I must have missed that out of your CV. Does that mean you could pop down the road and meet Lil Abner and make sure you avoided (Shudder! Horror!) Joe Bfsplk? Even more so, avoid Al Capp who was so cruel to Joan Baez?

The Crow said...

Good morning, BB:

I've lived in North and South Carolina, Virginia, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Arkansas, Louisiana, Texas, Alabama, California and Illinois...I think that's it. I have visited family in other states for short periods of time, but I don't think they count on a CV.

Of all of Capp's characters, there were two whom I just loved: Moonbeam McSwine, and poor Joe Bfsplk, who has visited with me for extended periods of time, now that I think of it.

Tell me what Capp did to Joan Baez. I don't know that story.

:)

Steve said...

Homemade vegetable soup... the best comfort food there is!

Fresca said...

Hi, Martha!
Thanks for commenting on my blog---I love how Art Sparker connects so many people.
(I see you also share blog friends with Twisted Rib, one of my blog friends--this is the first time I've experienced that friend of a friend of a friend intersection. Even the blogosphere is a small world, eventually.)

My mother's parents lived in southern Missouri (on Ozark Road, come to think of it)--I have vivid memories of going to pick persimmons one autumn when I was small. Yankee me had never seen these amazing fruits before. They still seem magic to me, when they show up briefly in the grocery store up here in MN.
But, do you know, I don't think I've eaten a rutabaga to this day. Now I will look for them.
Thanks.

Unknown said...

How those turnips or swedes glow. I'm sorry in a way that they didn't turun out to be mushrooms. But I enjoyed the episode. You are clearly a soup perspn. There was a book I read a long time ago called The Trutle Diaries. The two central characters played a game in which they asked peope what sort of soup they become if they were translated into soup. Purple mushroom soup sounds like a very special sort of person.

The Crow said...

Ah, Steve, you said it! But some of my favorite soups from when I was a kid were those my Mom threw together from leftovers. I think that's what gave me my appreciation of soup.

:)

The Crow said...

Hello, Fresca. How nice of you to drop by. I enjoy Susan's posts very mch, her art especially.

Persimmons need a good hard frost to slap the bitterness out of them, but I agree that they are amazing. I have two native persimmon trees at the front of my house, but hardly ever get to enjoy them. Birds, squirrels and at least one possum get to the before I can.

:)

The Crow said...

I like the sound of purple mushroom soup, Plutarch. I am fond of the color purple, especially the deeper shades.

I meant to make soup again yesterday. I had bought some portabella mushrooms to make a mushroom barley soup, which I'll get to tomorrow, I hope.

This chill weather makes me want to put the stock pot on and immerse myself in the soup making process.

Hope your cold weather eases up soon.

:)

Roderick Robinson said...

Re: Al Capp. During the Vietnam War he became more and more right-wing and used his strip to blackguard what he (and others) called peaceniks. Among other things he introduced a character called Phoney Joanie who sang anti-war folk songs and was what Terry Thomas would have called "an absolute shower". At this time she must have revealed a lesbian relationship and he jumped on that. He was frequently interviewed as if he were a spokesman for patriotic USA. Unfortunately (for peace lovers) he was was very funny with it and thus got a lot of coverage.

The Crow said...

Thanks, BB. I hadn't heard about that, though I can't imagine why that escaped my notice. At one time, I had almost every album she cut.

Harlequin said...

hey, I recanize these !
I grew up eating these intriguing vegetables as well... and my taste for them has endured .... I cannot imagine making a soup, stew or pot roast without them rude beggars!

Deedee said...

There is nothing as delicious and healthy as soup, especially in winter. Enjoy!