I come from a long line of co-dependents and enablers, and the more I love someone, the more I act true to form, though I’m not as bad about it as I used to be. Left to my own devices, I probably would wallow in sadness until Hell became an ice-skating rink. But there is some little voice of common sense that always yells in my psyche’s ear, “ENOUGH! Move on, willya?!”
That voice of reason has jerked me up short and pointed out that my actions, conceived of love and compassion, have--in fact--enabled my daughter to continue her self-destructive behaviors. What complicates my response to her are my feelings for my grandson, who has no control over how his mother chooses to live.
I have evicted my daughter and her son from my home for the second time in his short life. The first time was when he was seven years old. They went to a shelter for the homeless. As I drove away after dropping them off, I made the mistake of looking in my rear-view mirror. Donovan was waving good-bye, his little face struggling not to cry. That was the first time my heart broke into a billion shards, and I cried for a week afterwards, was depressed for months. I vowed then that I would never do that again, leave him at a shelter.
My daughter said later that kicking them out was the best thing I could have done, because it made her wake up to how she was hurting herself and her son. She managed to take care of the two of them fairly well for three or four years after they moved from the second shelter they lived in. Then life overwhelmed her again, only she tried to hide how hard a time she was having. She struggled on for a couple more years, then had a breakdown last year and checked herself in to a crisis psychiatric center last August. Donovan came to live with me while his mother was away.
When she was released, she came to my home, as well, because she had lost their apartment, again. I set some ground rules for living here, to which she agreed to adhere.
Soon thereafter, Donovan was placed in a residential treatment facility that specializes in children with emotional and developmental-delay problems, such as Asperger’s Syndrome. This move, which I initially protested, turned out to be exactly what he needed, and served him well. (My protest was based on my recognition that my daughter didn’t want to deal with his problems. This is part of the reason she was adamant about having him admitted, but not all of it. In her depressed state of mind, she was trying to do what was best for her son, and she did, as it turns out.)
My daughter went back to work after a brief medical leave. For a couple of months, everything was working well, and I began to think this time would be different for her. The rules I established for her to live in my home again included placing her earnings and other monies she receives into a joint account and we both would have to sign any checks she wrote. She was to pay her bills, on time, rebuild her credit rating, and save money for a new apartment, which she was to find before school was out the following spring. She set up a reasonable time table for accomplishing her goals, which I thought she was working to achieve.
She began overdrawing the account, using her bank ATM card. I took my name off the account and told her she was on her own, that I could not allow my credit rating to be damaged by association. We had a long discussion about getting money management counseling, along with therapy, so that she could get a handle on her life. She did begin therapy.
I asked several times over the ensuing months how things were going for her, did she need any help with setting up a budget, so on. But I didn’t push. I wanted her to take control of her own life. I didn’t want to be her caretaker, or do the work for her. At almost 39-years-old, I figured she was old enough to take care of all aspects of her life, including money management. I butted out.
After the new year began, I started reminding her that she needed to think about where she wanted to move when Donovan was released. I suggested that she spend some time on the weekends checking out potential neighborhoods, and schools that would work well with Donovan’s needs. I reminded her of her stated goal to be in a home of their own by the time school ended in May this year.
In late March, we learned that Donovan would be released sooner than expected. I think that’s when my daughter’s life began overwhelming her again. She lost her job. Her money management problems grew worse. I learned that her account was chronically overdrawn, that she had no savings, nor had she been paying her bills.
That loud voice of reason started yelling again. I wasn’t helping her, I was enabling her. I provided food and shelter, and she had no reason to leave. I took from her some of the pressure and strain she feels having to deal with Donovan’s condition. I had become an intermediary in their squabbles, acting as a buffer for both of them.
I wasn’t doing any of us any good. The strain of being their go-between and the financial hardship of having two more people to provide for on my part-time income were wearing me down. I became anxious and depressed.
So the voice of reason bellowed at me that it was time for them to leave, again. It was time for ‘tough love’ again.
My daughter chose to move to a motel. Staying there takes almost every cent she has, and it isn’t the best place to live. This is her choice, and we all have to learn to live with it.
It isn’t a homeless shelter, but having them there broke my heart again, just the same. I hope this is the last time, for all three of us.
15 comments:
Every gift exacts a certain cost. Only you can judge if you gave too much, and took away important lessons. Or if she'd have chosen, or failed to choose better, no matter what you did.
Unfortunately, there are some people in this world who either need very hard lessons to learn how to get through life, or who never learn at all. My brother is one, and your description of your daughter reminds me very much of him. It's so painful to watch someone in that situation, but your only options are to take over and take care of her and Donovan, or... let go and let her follow her own path, as excruciating as it may be to see the effect of that on Donovan.
I'm so sorry your family is going through this.
The first thing that comes to my mind is the wish you could be looking after Donovan while she works on her problems. I'm so very sorry.
Gosh, my heart aches with you. How hard it must be to be a mother. Trying your best and always doubting yourself.
The only thing that gives me some relief in situations like this is believing that we are all in this life with lessons to learn...even sweet young Donovan. In the end all you can really do is live your own best life. Your heart will tell you what that may be.
Thanks for sharing your story and reminding me to take ownership of my own lessons.
Peace to you.
This is a very difficult thing for you to have to choose. For what it's worth, I think you are doing the right thing by not enabling, as you say. Be well.
Jon
Any comment reminds me I am merely someone on the outside - insulated from the grief, not having to make the decisions. Though goodness know you've provided all the details that count in an even-handed way.
Yours is the latest variant of the realisation that mothers never cease being mothers. The age of the offspring doesn't seem to matter.
It seems you've acted on the understandable and commendable assumption that your daughter can and will improve. Showing her the door twice has been part of this. Is it now time to face the worst-case, and assume she won't? Given this can you force yourself to imagine your situation in one year's time, in five years' time? You have a life of your own and from what you've said maintaining it isn't easy, even without these distractions. But you are entitled to your place in the sun too.
I wonder if you may, in your heart of hearts, have come to this conclusion about your daughter even though you have struggled mightily on her behalf. Is the bigger emotional burden Donovan? I forget his age but eventually he will be able to make up his own mind legally and, possibly, stay with you if that's what you wish. Could that date be some sort of comforting target for you? Not that this overcomes the agonies of the in-between years.
The fact is your daughter is not only self-destructive there's a good chance she could destroy you. I'm not sure that being a mother obliges you to participate in this. But it's cold whichever way you look. Perhaps you have to be colder than ever before. As it is all we're able to offer is the (remote) kindness of strangers, thoughts rather than deeds. I am desperately sorry.
I would congratulate you on writing so frankly about your tough choices so that hopefully in that sense it helps to cement in your mind what you’re doing and why you are taking that action in the best interests of your daughter and for your own life.
I guess that does not preclude you from visiting her and attempting to guide her into a more stable situation given once children reach 30 onwards they invariably become less able to change underlying behavior patterns.
You have not mentioned any Asperser’s Syndrome support groups that might help but presumably you have already tried that avenue.
Not much I can say other than express my support for your courage and commitment towards your daughter and her son.
Best wishes
Thinking of you, sending what energy I have in your direction, praying that you have courage.
One bit of advice I give myself is that it is okay to do what I think is right, and also okay to admit I was wrong, no matter what, and move on from there, accepting the consequences. Almost like a drama of watching and waiting and seeing what happens next.
Just hopes for the best to you and Donovan and the daughter.
Peace.
Martha.. Your raw courage in sharing your situation is commendable. I can only hope that the sharing brings back to you support and strength in the form of the positive thoughts of all of us who care about you.
Love is the hardest work of all. Your daughter could be my brother... who had to be told to leave as well before he burned down the house--after two near misses...
and after an all out assault by a drug squad on our home... still, it was awful. Awful.
I hope you have support and nurture around you as you walk through this;
namaste.
Love and life are hard work. Having grown up in a whirlwind of alcoholic parents and drug addicted siblings, I sympathize very deeply. As human beings, we are placed in this terrible dilemma of feeling that we our brother's keeper while, at the same time, seldom being able to save them from self destruction.
Hard, hard choices. I'm sorry that you have to keep making them. Be kind to yourself, and know that you are doing the very best that you can.
I have seen what happens when parents take the other road. My brother is a perfect example of a life ruined by parental blindness. It's tragic.
Sending you all the love, compassion, strength and determination that I can. Big hugs to you...
Oh Martha, how very, very hard. and how bravely and clearly you've written about it, I do hope it's helped a bit to do so . I can't add much really to what everyone else has said, I just wish I could sit down with you and give you a hug...
I always thought the exhortations of 'don't enable, don't be a codependent etc' was such counsels of perfection. I only had to put them into practice when I was briefly married to an alcoholic, and then, in the end, without children, I could simply walk away and wash my hands of the situation. How hard it must be with the ties that you have, and how much harder when there's a third and vulnerable person involved.
Everything you've said speaks that you've done all you know you could or should. Doesn't make it any easier though. I am so sorry, and hope with all my heart you find a way through. Bless you.
Tough love, indeed. No one can ever imagine themselves in a situation like this. You gave what you could when you could and when you recognized it was no longer a good situation, you made the changes necessary. Probably what everyone else said here. And it's the truth. Probably doesn't dull the pain much, though. It has to be your daughter that makes the changes though, before the healing can start again. You're a good mom. You need her to be one, too. So does Donovan.
Hang in there. You're doing right.
much love,
erin
Thank you, all, for your considerate comments. You have been helpful and supportive; much appreciated.
:)
Post a Comment