Sunday, September 6, 2009

For Joe Spado

Tagging along...


You will notice, if you click on the photo above, that I have doctored the image a bit. Crows don't have white eyes. Their eyes are blue when they're first hatched, but their eyes turn deep brown by the time of their first moult. Anyway, I chose this photo to symbolize my spirit's desire to be on the ride that Joe Spado and company are undertaking soon, if they haven't already gone. Someday...someday, I will hit the road; I will honor the wild child I was born to be. For now, I ride in spirit with folks like Joe, who really do head out on the highway, looking for adventure.
...
Also, to honor Joe, I found a video made in Germany. In the background you hear Steppenwolf's iconic "Born to Be Wild." In the foreground, you hear...well, you'll see.
...
Enjoy your ride, Joe. Ride hard, ride free, ride safe and sound. See you when you get back. Looking forward to reading all about your ride, friend.
(c)2009 Martha McLemore

12 comments:

Woman in a Window said...

Joe's on the road. You want to be. I'm not adverse. Funny how most of what we are told to do, conditioned to do, involves setting root, when really deep down all we want to do is move.

The Crow said...

Erin/WiaW:

We traveled around so much when I was a kid that I was conditioned to move from early on, I think. My eyes have always been on the horizon, or trying to see around the bends in the road.

When I was eighteen and wanted to go to England and Ireland and live in youth hostels (this was in 1965) and spend the night in Stonehenge, my mother said I would probably never be happy in a traditional relationship because I was born with a restless soul.

Maybe she was right.

:)

Jon said...

lovely tribute... and great choice of song!

The Crow said...

Hello, Jon:

Joe is a lovely man, from what I can tell, and deserves a tribute. I don't know if he feels he was born to be wild, but I admire his sense of adventure and his outlook on life.

My alter-ego loves Steppenwolf.

:)

Spadoman said...

Wow Crow, You are way too kind to me with words and service. I just know you want to some day get a motorcycle and ride. I'm on a roll and getting to do it a lot this season. I just want to let you know that I realize that everyone can't get up and go and I have had this opportunity, especially this year.

Thank you so very much for the video, the song, the kind words and the friendship.

The Crow said...

No kinder than you have been to me, Joe. Hope you have a great ride. Just know that any crow you encounter along the ride might be my spirit crow tagging along.

:D

susan said...

We're all passing through so we might as well enjoy the ride. Joe is a good man and this is a fine tribute to him and the spirit of all who look for adventure in the magnificence of our shared landscape.

The Crow said...

Well put, Susan. Thank you.

I enjoy the pictures Joe takes on his rides. I get to travel vicariously when I visit his blog.

Say! Your friend Crow might be one of the ones Joe will encounter on this ride, as well.

So cool to have crows fly along side when on a journey. I was lucky to have that happen twice on a trip down south to visit my sister in Louisiana a few years ago. Hasn't happened since, but I keep hoping.

:)

Roderick Robinson said...

Never liked the phrase "hit the road", mainly because I've done it once or twice, and off a bike. I envy Spado re-enacting "Easy Rider" (though without the apocalyptic ending) way up there in Big Sky or wherever. My only worry would be the size of the bike's gas tank; as far I know some of the more powerful bikes can only carry fuel for 120 miles. But there I go, spoiling your dream. But then travelling as the Crow flies means you'd get better mileage. Metaphors getting horribly mixed up, here. The End.

The Crow said...

Hello, BB:

"Hit the road" came from my father, as in "You'd better hit the road runnin' if I have to get up from the chair to get you to listen!" Different context, similar results.

Joe rides a Triumph Tiger. He writes that it looks and handles "...like a BMW RT 1200."
You two should talk bikes. I think Joe's been on the road long enough that he could teach the rest of us about biking. Certainly, he can teach me a lot.

You can't spoil my dream, BB. Words of caution are necessary to keep one's dreams in perspective, add to one's common sense.

:)

Spadoman said...

I love bike talk, so I have to enter in here and say a few things.
First off, you folks are mighty kind to me with your words. After I'm through blushing, I start to cry a bit, as I am a S.N.A G. (Sensitive New Age Guy)
BB.. 2008 Triumph Tiger has a 4.8 gallon tank, I get at least 200 miles per tankful with no risk of running out, unless I am on the throttle hard. I don't twist the wick much at all and hardly ever while traveling. It is a sport touring bike, 1050 cc triple cylinder, EFI, ABS, hard panniers, trunk, tank bag. I need some running lights, (Christmas??)
I look for wildlife all the time. Crows for sure, especially on this upcoming trip, but Hawks, Eagles and the four leggeds too. Colors changing this time of the year in the hardwood forests along the Mississippi River.
I watch the sky. I think I will be right between GrandMother Moon and GrandFather Sun in the early morning all this week. I'll catch that energy when I can. I carry tobacco and a Chanupa.
I'm making a personal commitment to starve a little on this trip, or try to. My diabetes is raging and I must do something. My head will wrap around it and hopefully I can get a jump start on another attempt at a healthier life.
So, I'm ready to "hit the road", so to speak.

I love you folks so very much. Thanks again. You are inspiring me.

peace.

The Crow said...

Joe, I hope you and your companions have a grand trip.

:)