Friday, September 25, 2009

Haruki Murakami

Before I have coffee or anything else in the morning, I log onto the computer and visit my favorite blogs. One of those favorites is Whiskey River, to read the quote of the day, which gives me something to think about while getting ready for work.

Somehow, over the last few days, I missed a quote, but found it this morning. It is from Japanese writer, Haruki Murakami, someone I've not heard of before (I lead such a shallow life, it seems), but I did research a bit this morning. The quote at WR made me laugh, which is why I'm including it here:

"What we see before us is just one tiny part of the world. We get into the habit of thinking, this is the world, but that's not true at all. The real world is a much darker and deeper place than this, and much of it is occupied by jellyfish and things."

It's the jellyfish part that got to me. I used to imagine, when I was a kid, that the world beyond what I could see was squishy, not solid, and was probably like jello or ...jellyfish. The world, therefore, became solid - real - only when I walked toward the horizon, toward what I couldn't see. Kids are so self-centered, so ego-centric, to think they create the world by their being.

Anyway, after chuckling over the quote, I googled Murakami's name and discovered he is a fellow Baby-Boomer and (evidently) a well-known writer. Time for another trip to the local library...as soon as I can make the path there solid with my steps.

Good morning, Blogland.

(c) 2009 Martha McLemore

10 comments:

Zhoen said...

(o)

KaliDurga said...

Thank you for sharing this.

20th Century Woman said...

I like the jellyfish part too. I think I like it because it is specific, and not just formless mystery. Jellyfish are specific mystery.

Spadoman said...

That's funny, your perception of the jello-like world. Your morning routine sounds so much like mine. I wake up very early usually, and go to the computer as to not wallow around the house and make any noise to disturb others that might be sleeping, (Grand kids always seem to be here overnight, and that's okay!)
I have a routine of blogs that I check along with e-mail. I also have a couple of motorcycle forums that I visit and either read about someone's ride, or write about my own. Coffee comes later.

Thanks for the tip about the author. Inspires me to read more, or at least think that I should. I'll get busy on that for sure.

Peace.

The Crow said...

Good morning, Z. Hope you are feeling better.

:)

The Crow said...

Kali:

My pleasure.

:)

The Crow said...

20th Century Woman:

I think the specificity of jellyfish was brilliant. How amorphous the darkness seems when likened to jellies.

:)

The Crow said...

Good morning, Joe:

I have a feeling there are a number of us with the same routine, we bloggers.

I'm looking forward to reading Murakami's stories. The excerpts I found were interesting.

:)

susan said...

Oh my. He's one of our very favorite authors. If you don't mind a suggestion I'd advise 'Hard Boiled Wonderland & The End of The World' as a good one to start with. It's both hilariously funny and a deeply serious meditation on the nature and uses of the mind.

The jellyfish thing is quite weird in that they've been arriving in swarms on beaches where they've rarely been seen before - like Spain. It seems the combination of delicious pollution and warmer water has been attracting them.

The Crow said...

Susan:

Thank you for the recommendations. I'll look for his work in the local library.

So jellies are scavengers of pollution? I didn't know that. Years ago when I visited Whidbey Island, there were dozens of stranded moon jellies along the shore. We noticed a red bloom on the water at the same time and wondered if that was the cause of the dead moon jellies.

:)