
(In the category of Small-things-please-small-minds, this post fits right in. As a matter of fact, this likely would be better done with Twitter, but I don't think you can twit pictures. Besides, I don't Twit. I might be one, but I don't have an account.)
...
Kareema (daughter) took Donovan shopping for new clothes for school, an annual ritual repeated to some degree or another all over the world. While in the men's department, she found several t-shirts (uniform du jour with the high school set), some jeans and other stuff he needs. One t-shirt came with a set of earphones, a promotion to get you to buy the shirt. Donovan found one he liked and away they went to the registers to check out.
...
A couple of days later, we were back in the store for another purchase forgotten earlier. We walked past the men's department, where my crow's eye and heart were snagged by the shirt, shown above. Crows love shiny objects and this old crow is no exception. That I gained a cool set of earphones for listening to music while online was a bonus, but I had to have that shirt. It has bling, peoples! Bling in the form of shiny platinum-color mylar, which will eventually be lost after so many washings.
...
Now, the sad part is that I didn't have my reading glasses along, so I thought the motto across the chest said "ROCKSTAR." It doesn't. It reads ROCKSTER, as in rock-star-wanna-be, as in she's-too-old-for-this-shirt, as in "Oldster-trying-to-look-hip." However, considering the kind of music I listen to most - heavy-metal, rock-and-roll, acid-rock, et cetera - the motto fits me to a T...to a T-shirt, in fact. (Okay, so I don't make such good puns.)
...
I dress for comfort nowadays: elastic-waist jeans, t-shirts or other knit pullovers, sneaks. I never was a fashion plate, and as I have gotten older - and rounder - I have difficulty finding dresses that fit and look nice, so I don't bother. I have a few pairs of dressier slacks and nice blouses I wear to work, one or two pair of good leather shoes, but that's it. Most of the time I look like hell (by my late mother's standards), but I'm comfy.
...
This post was inspired, in part, by blog-friend BB's poem about clothing, but mostly, I wanted to show off my new shirt.
...
Like I said, simple things for simple minds...
(c) 2009 Martha McLemore
16 comments:
1. Small things are only noticed by perceptive minds.
2. All good puns are bad.
3. Comfy is good. As long as you have a few nicer items to wear occasionally. Not good to feel sloppy ALL the time.
4. Oooo, sparkly!
Don't tempt fate: it's verse, not a poem. I see you've reverted from the sassy you back to the avian you. It can't have been a sudden attack of modesty because your new tee-shirt would surely belie that. If I had to christen the current blogopic I'd say "A Right Clever Clogs". I wonder if that's Googlable? Or perhaps you know the meaning anyway. Cheers.
Hello, Zhoen:
1. Thank you for the compliment.
2. Yes, I had momentarily forgotten that.
3. Hmmm...looks like I might need to go shopping again.
4. YES! Sparkly! How I love my sparklies...caw!
:D
Yeppers! You can tweet pics and vids. Twitpic.com for the pics. Tweetreel.com for the vids. But ya gotta have a regular Twitter account first.
The best part of telecommuting is working in PJs for days on end. Well, not the same PJs, mind you, but they could be.
Very nice T Shirt! You and Randal have a lot in common, musically speaking.
Oh comfy works best for me! At times I do want to dress up and be somewhat 'professional-looking' but certain things will sure show how uneasy I am when I do that..and I'm back to my old no-style way. Rockstar or rockster..you'll never too old to be one..My dad, 57, who had been to Mecca and should be wearing only praying headgear and decent clothes by the community standard still wear ripped and faded jeans..and T-shirt with big words he's proud about. And I like him that way..
Didn't know you are a rocker! How cool is that?! Nice shirt. Let's see a modeling job!
I'm built for comfort, not for speed. Everything I wear is loosy goosy.
Peace.
I practically live in my pj's or some sort, to be honest...oh, how boring but ohsocomfy,,, and I like sparky too, which can be a really odd combination!
blessings...
I like the shirt -- life is too short to be spent in tight shoes...or anything else tight for that matter...
btw, I recently purchased what I saw as a great t-shirt with a lovely design of a full moon and a tree... turns out it is a skull hanging over a cemetery... oh well.. I still like the tree.
Jim: I take it you are working from Chez Penny these days? Bet you're glad not to be out on the highway as much.
Not sure I'm a Twitter type, but I said the same thing about blogging a couple of years back, and look at me now. I'll blog about anything...almost anything, that is.
:)
Utah: How cool! I admire Randall's wit and take on the world, so thank you for the association, even on a limited basis.
:)
HLiza, your Dad sounds like someone I would be happy to know.
And, comfy rules!
:)
Joe/Spadoman:
I wish I could model! Just imagine a huge sack of potatoes wearing the shirt and you've pretty much got me in person.
:)
Linda: You and Jim Penny have described the telecommuter's dress code perfectly. Let's hear it for PJs! I would love to have a job where I could be home, dress comfy to the max and have more time to blog. There has to be something out there for me to do that will fit my preferred lifestyle.
Nice to see you here, Linda.
:)
Harlequin:
That's too funny aout your t-shirt. I'm glad to know I'm not by myself in misreading their designs.
:)
BB: I had to Google for the expression, "A Right Clever Clogs." Did you mean to apply it to my post above or to your verse? I wasn't sure.
About going back to the crow atavar: I am not comfortable with my appearance in photographs, because it is not what I see when I look in the mirror. I accept that I am no longer attractive, that gravity and carelessness have had their ways with my once-youthful flesh, and I even anticipate when my hair finally turns all white instead of the brown-red-grey-white mixture that stubbornly persists.
What I cannot abide is the absence of hope that used to be on my face, that no attempted smile or make-up can replace. I removed my photo for my sake, so that I would not have to be reminded of what I have lost in the last 27 years.
The weather-beaten crow, that can still fly, fits my view of myself right now better than any current photograph.
Modesty is not the reason for the change; reality is.
:)
Post a Comment