Saturday, April 25, 2009

Gem of the Day

Lovely sparklies.
One of the reasons I identify myself with crows is because we crows are attracted to sparklies, shiny things which catch our eyes, or tickle our funny-bones, or snag our hearts and minds in some way or the other. I've decided to post those things I take pleasure in that I think some of you might enjoy, too. Maybe you won't. That's another thing I like about crows, though. Not all sparklies are going to catch all crows' eyes, and it doesn't matter. Crows cache those things they like for later examination and enjoyment. So, like in a secret hollow in a sky-high tree trunk, I will occasionally cache my finds here in my blog. Enjoy, if you like - or completely ignore; as you wish.
...
Today's gem is something I found on the Internet a couple of years ago while stumbling around after something else entirely. Michael Quinion loves words, the history and structure of them. Sometimes, the older and more obscure the word the more he likes it. My kind of crow.
(c) 2009 Martha McLemore

12 comments:

indybev said...

Thanks for steering me to this web page, Martha! I'm a wordaholic, and I'll add Michael to my personal stock of treasures!

The Crow said...

Glad you find him a sparklie, too, Bev! I love the Weird Word section of his site.

:)

Utah Savage said...

Me too, I grabbed that link and posted it on my sidebar before I came back to thank you. I too love words. I'm surrounded at my little table here with mounds of dictionaries in various languages, a dictionary of slang and two encyclopedias of Literature.

Unlike the "real" crow, I like the stones like carnelian and amber set in silver, I like a bit of tarnish on the shine. I have never liked diamonds or other brilliants.

The Crow said...

I won't buy, own or wear a diamond for political reasons. I do like topaz, especially the blue ones. My preferences run to the duller stones, too, Utah. I like jade, garnet, turquoise (Chinese and the blue stuff from the American southwest), lapis...all the semi-precious stones and minerals, I guess.

I love the chase of a good word hunt, as well. I am terrible for going to the dictionary or thesaurus for one word, then losing myself in reading them.

:)

The Joined up Cook said...

Good link, thankyou.

My wife loves sparklies too.

I think I may avoid the endearment, "My darling Crow" though.

Harlequin said...

two gems : you and Michael

The Crow said...

Yup...probably a wise move on your part.

:D

Although, in my book, anyone who loves sparklies is at least an honorary crow.

The Crow said...

Harlequin, you make me blush...like rose quartz.

Glad you like Michael's site!

:)

EcoRover said...

Good cache. And catch.

The Crow said...

Hello, ER; nice of you to visit. I am enjoying your blog and photos of Montana. I haven't been out west but have always wanted to, and will. I want to go somewhere that the stars outshine artificial lights, something I haven't seen since I was a young girl.

Anonymous said...

Lovely. You probably don't know that the WiFi net here that I manage is called CrowNet, and I used to own the domain Looksforcrows.org. Go figure.

The Crow said...

Hello, Jim:

You're right, I had no idea. Why did you name you domain Looksforcrows.org? Do you hunt crows?

Nice of you to visit; thank you.

:)