Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Gem of the Day: 28 April

Jade

As usual, I set off on a search for one thing, and find at least one other that distracts me. So it was this morning. I went looking for the definition of 'gollywampus' (also spelled 'galliwampus', I discovered), a word my father used to name any large, long-legged, flying insect for which he had no name. Nevermind that all the insects he referred to as gollywampuses (gollywampi?) were as different one from another as a rose is from any other flower in the universe, if it fit the general description just given, that's what it was.
...
I had one such creature in my house over the weekend. It clung to the sheer curtains in the downstairs powder room for almost twenty-four hours before disappearing. We three humans gave it the space it needed, being careful not to disturb the curtains or dislodge the bug.
...
Today's gem is actually three-in-one: a Wampus site, a bug site and a monsters blog. I like the first because it pleases my sense of whimsy and silliness; the second because I like to know the names of things, especially creatures that come indoors uninvited; and the last because of my lifelong interest in the unexplainable, the laughable and the things that go bump in the night - and in my imagination. Pardon me while I quit shivering at the thought of those bumpy things under my bed, behind the dresser and lurking in the shadows at the corners of my eyes. YIKES!! I just scared myself!
...
Anyway, these are the sparklies I found today. Hope you enjoy the goosebumps and the giggles.
(c) 2009 Martha McLemore

7 comments:

Utah Savage said...

Jade marbles. Now that definitely beats my small collection of marbles dug from the earth I leveled for pavers. It is no longer level and needs to be dug up again and leveled. Old legs and old hips need not walk on a path full of tripping hazards. But an old back is dreading the labor. I spend some time late morning and early afternoon clearing weeds from between the stones, but now I'm sweaty and need a shower. But first, fresh mint tea. The mint is thriving as always.

The Joined up Cook said...

I must admit bugs give me the shivers.

Good job I live in the UK.

I remember going on a camping holiday in France years and years ago; I was an innocent 17 year-old.

I walked into the washrooms one morning and there on the wall was a large spider; about 3 inches from the tip of its front leg to the tip of the back leg.

Now by the standards of many readers that will seem quite tame.

It did to most of my fellow campers; at least the non-English ones.

I, on the other hand, crept around the room like Mel Brookes in High Anxiety; back against the wall - buttocks creeping cheek by cheek.

I didn't bother with a shower that morning and have never camped in France since.

...and as for hotter places.......pleeeease!

I can just about cope with Madiera with its lizards.

The Crow said...

Utah:
Back when I was making jewelry for fun and profit (heavy on the fun, not so much on the profit), I bought some deep green and some light green jade beads. Now they are marbles.

Mint tea sounds good. I don't think my mint is up yet, though the herb patch is overrun with chives. I'll go see; might have iced mint tea this evening!

:)

The Crow said...

AWB:

I share your arachnophobia. There's a photo of a painting I must find and post for you. Might take me a day or two, but I'll get it.

Just how big are those lizards of Madiera? As large as this gila? (http://www.fws.gov/southwest/es/Arizona/images/SpeciesImages/JServoss/Reptiles/Gila%20Monster%20(1).jpg)

:)

The Joined up Cook said...

The largest I saw was a massive............6 inches.

Most are smaller and quite copable with.

lisahgolden said...

I really love that picture. And I use the word cattywampus. It's a fave.

The Crow said...

Lisa:

Jade is one of my favorite stones. I like the variety of colors in this picture.

:)