...
WORLD FIRST
In a panegyric about good writing, Crow said she was prepared to read a sonnet about watching paint dry. Since this is only the fifth poem I have ever written it would be optimistic to claim the first half of her assertion, but at least the subject matter rises to the challenge of the second part. On reading this it may rapidly become apparent that my blog is devoted to the joys of technology.
Barrett Bonden.
Sonnet – Paint Drying
These colors were not ours. Too bright? Too fair?
Another family’s concealment needs
Barring our quick possession of their bare
Regressive record of domestic deeds.
Our brush implies a tyrant’s power – a blade
To cut away unwanted otherness
To scour, excise, delete or amputate
Interring then remaining evidence.
A hand-swept wave of green stops up the eyes
And throats of calling, drowning memories
Creates a hardening seal to authorize
Our ownership of coloured histories.
We watch, paint dries, a thickness evident
In years, decades, a time-based insulant.
Dear Friend BB, you have lived up to your promise. I can do no less, and now live up to mine. Well done! Very well done!
...
You can - and do! - write poetry, despite your protestations otherwise, and your modesty. I'm afraid if I had written about paint drying, it would have been a pale, shabby cousin of an Ogden Nash ditty, not a sonnet, and certainly not as thoughtful as is this beautiful creation. (That was not intended as a slap at Ogden Nash, because I love his work.)
Sonnet, (c) 2009 by Barrett Bonden (RR)
Other (c) 2009 Martha McLemore
10 comments:
Good work, BB, for supposed novice! And good of you to post this, Martha. Your passion post was/is quite an inspiration!
Great Sonnet. Makes paint drying seem romantic. Words do matter.
watching paint dry, to the untrained eye, lacks a certain rush but to those who dare,splashing paint on bare the fun is in the brush. take good care martha my dear, jack c
Yeah, I agree, that's a great poem.
I might try a limerick about the opening of an envelope but I'll go and do it on a private piece of paper. This is just too good and sonnets are a difficult form. Congratulations.
You'll have to submit that sonnet to Ira at This American Life--they recently did take-offs on William Carlos Williams' poem "Mistakes Were Made." This sonnet could be the basis for another segment!
Susan: How about a limerick about someone reading a suggestion that they do a limerick about opening an envelope?
Crow: Please change cap to l/c for fair, insert hyphen in hand swept and insert a before hardening. My editor has a thousand eyes.
Friend BB:
Editorial mishaps fixed. They may have been my oversight, because I couldn't cut and paste into a post - couldn't get things to line up as you had intended - so I had to type it anew. Sometimes my fingers don't fly as fast as my brain wants them to and I make the sort of errors we just fixed.
Martha
A blogger was she, inspired by words
Her flowering talent now as sonnet dispersed
Painted for us a picture so fresh
For readers to relish her tonal largesse
Best wishes
thanks for being the instigator and midwife for this one... quite enjoyable
Post a Comment