Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Light and Magic

I am drawn to light and color; things that sparkle and shine and glitter and glow. What can I say? I am Crow.
-
(Didn't intend to have that rhyme, but it's okay that it does.)

At the Halloween parade last week, the vendors of light sticks and flashing scepters and swords really came to life after dark. Show time! They were the best entertainment for three or four blocks while we waited for the parade floats and bands to get to us. The vendor below is from Maryland. There were two other carts, full of similar glowing objects, meandering back and forth along the parade route, so I'm guessing they all came to Hanover together.
-
Her wagon of magic had stuffed toys, baseball caps, light sabers, fairy wands, scepters and all kinds of things I couldn't determine a specific use for, other than to bring the magic of light and color to the darkened streets.



The flash on my camera washed out the brilliant, neon-like colors of the lighted trinkets. You can see some of the other things she offered for sale.
-
-
-
-
-



Just noticed the feather boas! Cool!

In the center of the photo above, two light sticks diverge just above some red thing. Doesn't look like much in the bright flash, but...






...in the dark, it becomes a Light Monster!

Its eyes are askew, but maybe that's normal for Light Monsters.

These light toys flickered, some randomly, some in rhythmic patterns; some changed color, others didn't.
-
-
-

What do you know? A little bit of Vegas has come to Hanover.


The first images I took looked like the camera wasn't steady, until I watched the lights and realized that the different flashes bounced off surrounding surfaces from all directions, making it look like either my hands were shaking or the light sticks were, which wasn't the case.





This one is my favorite. Makes me feel like a little kid again to look at it. It's Christmas tree bubble-lights, and carnival ride lights, and fireworks (minus the noise) all in one.
-

What magic!











These butterfly lights seemed to flutter in the flickering lights around them.

Some of the wands had color moving up and down the tubes.
-
Lava lamps on a stick!












This is one of the lamp posts in front of the Warehime-Myers Mansion here in town. The mansion was given to the historical society where I work a year ago through the generosity of William Warehime.

I like the reflected ball of light on the left edge of the lantern -- don't have a clue how that happened, but I'm sure glad it did. Makes the photo more interesting.


The magic of the evening had an effect on my camera, I think, for most of my photographs usually aren't very good. Not saying any of these are all that, but I'm pleased with how they turned out, for the memories they evoke, if nothing else.
-

Hey! Did you vote today?
-

(All photos copyright Martha McLemore, October 2008)

No comments: