
I used to take elections and voting for granted. That's what we do, sometimes, when a given thing is an accepted, expected, part of our culture. But, the first opportunity I had to vote after September 11, 2001, I did so with a new found respect for and appreciation of the political process in America. Much media focus was on the horrors of life under the Taliban in Afghanistan, especially for women. I was grateful for the chance to have my voice heard through my vote. I haven't missed an election since.
On Tuesday, 4 November, we Americans can once again exercise our franchise to vote, to have a say in who guides our country for the next four years. This year's Presidential election is a milestone for us, one I hope we won't take for granted and ignore.
Four years ago, I voted for Barack Obama. I had to write in his name in order to do it. My ex-beloved and a few others thought I threw my vote away because I didn't choose from the ballot that was offered. I voted my conscience, my beliefs and my hopes, so I did not throw anything away.
This year, fortunately, gloriously, happily, I don't have to write in his name. It is on the ballot for anyone to choose. I hope you will.
-
Go vote, America! Vote for whomever you like, but get out there and speak your piece!
-
Martha McLemore/The Crow
(Image of Barack Obama from his campaign headquarters just up the street from my house...don't know who created it.)
No comments:
Post a Comment