Thursday, November 20, 2008

GRUMP!



The sky has been threatening snow for the last couple of days. Layer upon layer of blue-grey, gloomy, swirling clouds have occluded the sun, off and on, and hung over the landscape like some fluffy sword of Damocles, so to speak. As much as I enjoy blustery weather, I don't like being threatened, so snow, dadgummit...or get off the pot!
.
One of the funniest things about this part of the country (and it may happen elsewhere) is the panic run on grocery items when the forecast suggests we might be in for a snowstorm. Around here, it's bread, milk, toilet paper and ice-melt granules that disappear off the shelves faster than they were loaded onto them. My sister Sandra says substitute panels of plywood for the ice-melt and add bottled water to the list and that describes the panic runs when hurricanes head into her part of the Gulf of Mexico. Oh, yeah, and candles. Up here, we grab batteries instead of candles. Probably because many people around here use kerosene heaters for emergency heat and candle flames mixed with kerosene...you can see where that's headed.
..
This is probably a good time to make sure the snow shovels are in good condition and close at hand, that the tub I use for ice-melt is full, and that my tires are fully inflated. Better put the winter emergency equipment tub back into the car and might better get new flares...the ones I have are nearly ten years old. Got new wipers and anti-fog fluid last month. Time to check the anti-freeze and other fluids in the car, too.
..
Gotta clean the leaves out of the gutters and downspouts, put the garden hoses away and winterize the outdoor faucets. Already took the ACs out of the windows, but haven't put the storm windows in place yet.
..
Okay, okay...I'll check the pantry for bread, toilet paper and batteries, too.
..
Yep, it's going to be a busy weekend.
..
Like I said...grump!
Glowering sky photo (c) M. C. McLemore, November 2008

No comments: