Thursday, November 27, 2008

Homecoming







Donovan gets to come home for Thanksgiving and the weekend. This will be his first time home since he was admitted to his residential treatment facility in August of this year. He is excited and a bit apprehensive about being away from the hospital for so long, and about spending time with both his parents.

Donovan needs only a few things to feel secure and safe: he needs to know what the "order of the day" is, he needs as few surprises to his routine as possible, he needs to know where his mother is at all times, he needs Blue Blankey, and he needs a night-light.

On a recent trip to Penney's department store, Kareema and I were admiring tree ornaments when she spotted the penguin light in the photo. She agreed when I said it would be perfect for Donovan's room, so I added it to my too-large balance and brought it home.

One of Donovan's favorite (recent) movies is "Happy Feet," the story of a penguin that marches to a different drummer...or, dances, I should say. I imagine Donovan connected with the character, who is rejected and scorned by the rest of the flock because he can't sing like the others. Never mind that he could tap like Gregory Hines, the little guy brayed like a jackass when he tried to sing. It's a cute movie.

Anyway, the night before Donovan was to come home, Kareema and I fixed his room. The last thing we did was plug in the penguin. We sat watching it to see what it was supposed to do, because we thought it was supposed to bubble, like those old time Christmas bubble lights I remembered from my childhood. We watched for what felt like five minutes with no results, then were startled when silvery glitter inside the candle part of the light shot up like a rocket and started a dance of its own. Cool! Sparkly! (Crow!)

For the next half hour or so, my 38-year-old daughter and her 61-year-old mother lay across Donovan's bed, in the dark, and silently watched the magic of light and shiny stuff dance around that small patch of wall next to his pillows.

I haven't felt that delighted and peaceful - and safe - in a very long time.

(c) M. C. McLemore. All rights (such as they may be) reserved.

No comments: