Thursday, October 23, 2008

Raking Leaves, Blah-blah-blah.

My property runs about 100 feet deep by about 40 feet wide, which means there is a magnificent abundance of leaves for the raking each year, unless the October winds get to them before I do, in which case they get blown into my across-the-alley neighbor's yard.

This no doubt pisses him off supremely, since he cut down all his trees several years ago so that he'd never have to rake another damned leaf for as long as he lived! (So he hoped, I'm sure.)

(He had the most glorious ginkgo in his back yard - glowed like new gold each fall; some ancient-looking, huge larches (favored by my crows for their height), plus a couple of maples and a dogwood...but, I digress - again.)

My yard is blessed with the leaves from two native persimmons, the biggest sassafras tree I've ever seen, a witch hazel, a service berry, a dogwood, an ironwood beech, a smoke tree, a Chinese chestnut, a southern wood or yellow heart tree (don't know - could be either or the same), four larches, an arbor vitae, an eastern cedar, a red oak, a paw-paw tree and a couple others I can't recall the names of at the moment. Plus a variety of deciduous shrubs. I am in leaf heaven each October.

The leaves in this picture (above) represent about 20% of my 'crop,' so I'm going to be a very happy raker for a couple more weeks.

I'm even willing to share with Mike, the tree killer, next door.

No comments: