Friday, October 31, 2008

Bath Time in the Ol' Stock Pot


Last night was the Halloween parade in our town. The local Jaycees sponsor it every year, and it has grown in popularity over the last 10 years from a hometown event to a regional happening. We have folks coming from 5 or 6 surrounding counties in the state and a few more from down in Maryland. Vendors arrive from the rest of Pennsylvania, from Maryland, New Jersey, maybe even New York. I usually stay home to avoid the crowds, but I thought this might be a good time to take Cone and Ball around for Halloween.


First, though, they needed baths. Cone has been run over a few times -- lots of tire marks -- and Lord only knows what that grey-green-brown stuff is on Ball. I used to have a galvanized washtub, but it rusted through, and I didn't want to put Cone in the bathtub. Thought one of my stockpots might work, so I squirted dishwashing soap in the bottom of it and hit that with the hard spray on the garden hose. In practically no time at all, it looked like the pot was full of whipped cream.



Cone is permanently marked, I'm afraid, but at least it's now a brighter orange than before. Ball was easier to clean, but harder to rinse -- kept rolling off the picnic table right back down in the dirt, until I got the canner rack and placed it in that. Perfect! A ball cage.



Once rinsed, they sat in the late afternoon sunshine to dry off. What a Mutt-and-Jeff pair they make.


Before long, Russell -- another plastic thing, only it isn't a cube -- decided to keep Cone company while it dried. Good thing Russell is plastic, or I might have had to bathe Cone again!


Time to go shopping for costumes!

[All photos (c) M. C. McLemore, October 2008]

No comments: