Thursday, October 23, 2008

Raking Leaves, Part One









Great day to rake leaves; cool enough for a sweater, but not too cold. Bright, sunshiny day. Down the street, someone is mowing grass, maybe for the last time this season, though I doubt it. I usually have to cut grass well into November, sometimes as late as Thanksgiving week.





A couple of doors down in the other direction, a neighbor has fired up her fireplace for the first time this fall; smells like apple wood and oak burning.





I like to let the leaves stay on the ground as long as I can, to enjoy their fading colors and the smell of them as they dry in the sun. It's a balancing act, though, trying to guess how long is long enough without allowing the leaves to get moldy. Mold wreaks havoc with my asthma, the only drawback to the pleasure of raking.

So it goes.




[Shadow Crow photo (c)M.C. McLemore, OCT 2008]


No comments: