Wednesday, November 23, 2016

I Don't Think This is What Ben Franklin Had in Mind

Dear Friends:

I wish you all well, hoping your holiday is warm and loving, full of family and good friends - and mighty good food, enough for all!

My daughter sent me the follow image which I think you will enjoy, no matter for whom you voted.  My sincere and deeply felt apologies to Meleagris gallopavos everywhere for the unintentional slight.

Martha


16 comments:

Zhoen said...

That's one Ass Trumpet.

The Crow said...

Ha! It certainly is!

No matter how you spend your day tomorrow, or with whom, I hope it is one of good memory making.

Avus said...

Speaking out of his arse (Brit spelling) - how very appropriate! Good wishes to you Martha. We don't do Thanksgiving, saving it all up for Christmas.

Roderick Robinson said...

It's a pretty good reaction. After the enormity of the news I find that simply being tragic doesn't seem to work. Nor do insults (although he is turning out to be thin-skinned, viz. Hamilton). Laughter may be the best weapon and some of his utterances - provided you can stay sufficiently detached - are truly comical. Like suggesting Nigel Farage would be a good British ambassador to the USA. As if Hitler in, say, 1937 had said to Neville Chamberlain: "I've got just the guy for you. His name's Goebbels."

The Crow said...

Our present day Thanksgiving is so far removed from the beginning festivity that I doubt the early settlers would want to partake, would likely consider us hedonists. Perhaps they'd be right.

This day, for me, is reason to take special note of my blessings, which means family and friends (including all I know through this and their blogs), having employment and a means to support myself, general good health (pneumonia notwithstanding!)...and another beautiful sunrise (cloud covered, but beautiful because it heralds another day I get to live.

Thank you, Avus, for visiting, and please accept my apologies for not responding to your kind comments on recent posts. Regardless what you do today, I hope it goes well for you and at day's end you are assured it was well spent!

The Crow said...

Robbie:

Now that is funny! I have missed your sharp-witted remarks, and am glad to see you here today.

I've been trying to be rational about Trump, since he was elected, but I think humor is still going to have to carry the day for awhile. A blog friend, Mike Mullins (Genial Misanthrope), still reels a bit from the realization that over 59 million of his countrymen/women voted this turkey into office. I do not believe there are that many hate-mongering, misogynists in this country, but my uncle Norman once called me Pollyanna, so maybe Mike's right.

It's going to be a very interesting four years ahead of us. Humor, especially the witty, acerbic sort you excel at, is going to be more useful than blind hope.

Hope your day is a good one. What are your memories of American-style Thanksgiving?

Zhoen said...

Jill Stein is demanding recounts in some close run areas, raised $2million to do it.

http://theslot.jezebel.com/jesus-electoral-christ-jill-stein-actually-raised-over-1789333852

Roderick Robinson said...

I had difficulty getting a handle on some US holidays: taking time off on Labor Day (as well as spelling it like that) always seemed strange. Also the prevailing attitude towards "organised labour" (ie, the trade unions) didn't seem entirely enthusiastic or perhaps I only noticed the Republican point-of-view. And perhaps, yet again, as a member of a trade union myself (the National Union of Journalists) I was over-sensitive.

As to Independence Day I once joked with some Pittsburgh suburbanite or other that it seemed like a good time for a Brit to stay indoors. This puzzled individual asked me why. I explained who it was the US had gained independence from and this seemed to arrive as recently breaking news to my questioner. I hastened to add I sympathised with the US side not the Brit side and this puzzled her even more. After I summarised the situation back in the eighteenth century and emphasised I was against all forms of colonialism, it seemed I'd overloaded her circuits. She slumped in her chair and shrugged: "Heck, but all that's kind of history." Sometimes I wonder if I should have stayed in the US, changed my career, and urged everyone to buy and use passports. Either that or I could have taught baseball statistics.

And then of course there were the truncated festivities at Christmas. I found it hard to go back to work on what 2000 miles eastward would have been considered Boxing Day.

It was only after I left the US that I began to appreciate the significance and domestic intimacy of Thanksgiving. Many Americans I've subsequently spoken to have agreed about this; it was predominantly a family occasion and for many years it was resistant to attempts to commercialise it. I'm not sure we were ever invited to anyone's Thanksgiving but if we weren't I'm not in any way resentful: I favour the idea of a family-only cluster. And besides none of the RRs likes turkey.

Dodging back to Christmas VR and I were reflecting recently on how we profited. It encouraged us to attend to ourselves as a family, something which would have been dissipated if we'd been back in the UK.

Frex said...

Ah, the turkey is a much maligned bird.
But not, as you know, by Ben:

“I wish the bald eagle had not been chosen as the representative of our country; he is a bird of bad moral character…like those among men who live by sharping and robbing, he is generally poor, and often very lousy…
The turkey…is a much more respectable bird, and withal a true original native of America.”
—Benjamin Franklin, in a letter to Sarah Bache, Jan. 26, 1784

Happy Thanksgiving!

Should Fish More said...

Brine the sucker, that'll drown some sense into him.

Happy thanksgiving, dear.

Mike

The Crow said...

Sorry for the delay in answering your comments, which are appreciated.

Zhoen: I think to answer to removing Trump from office is a groundswell movement or several ones through legal means already available to us, but perhaps never used before. We've never before been faced with such a threat to our national stability.

Good for Jill. If she is successful in obtaining a recount (whether it changes the outcome for her or not), the precedent will be established for those who follow.

Robbie: You did well surviving your time in Pennsylvania! I'm surprised no one invited your family to join them to share a Thanksgiving meal. Not everyone has turkey, or only turkey, though. My mom would have another meat (beef or pork in some form) in addition.

Fresca (Frex): My reference to Franklin was based on his comments about turkeys. I'm glad, in a way, that his idea didn't prevail. The turkey would have become a symbol we wouldn't be allowed to eat!

This summer, on my trips to the VA Hospital in Lebanon, I passed numerous political lawn signs urging people to vote for the Donald: one read, simply, "TRUMP: a True American!" It was memory of that sign, along with Franklin's remark about the turkey "withal a true...American," that made me laugh so hard when daughter Karie sent me the picture.

Hope you had a good time at your orphan dinner yesterday!

Mike: Or, possibly, draw the poison out of him! Either way, it couldn't hurt!

The Crow said...

Zhoen:

I should correct that part of my response regarding our national stability: not since the Civil War. I hope things don't get that far down the road of no return.

Secret Agent Woman said...

If only we could take care of the real Trump as easily as we can dispense with a turkey.

Happy Thanksgiving to you!

The Crow said...

Oh, ain't it the truth!

I read your blog a few weeks ago and discovered Best Wishes are in order! I'm so glad for you and Mr. SAW. Long may you love!

Harlequin said...

Perfect. One picture, worth a thousand words.
Hope your season is happy...
All good wishes to you on the next adventure.

The Crow said...

Harlequin: Have no idea where my daughter found this image, but I'm glad she did! We could use some laughs now and again.

I hope your season is happy, healthy and full of laughter, as well. Thank you for your good wishes. An adventure would be most welcome; looking forward to one.