Last week was one of the most confusing, disheartening and disturbing I've ever experienced, that sent me into a nosedive of despair. I refer to the U. S. Presidential election, of course. This morning, I discovered John Oliver and the video (linked above) that made me laugh heartily for the first time since last Tuesday (also known - in my family - as the Day of the Clown Apocalypse. Now I understand why my daughter fears clowns.)
If any of you could use a good laugh and some ideas about how to defeat the Reign of Terror I fear Trump will bring to our republic, I can recommend giving Oliver a listen.
To put things into perspective, the greater tragedy last week was the loss of two icons from the world of music: Leonard Cohen and Leon Russell. They left behind great libraries of their works, which eased, somewhat, the grief of their passing.
Peace be with you.

4 comments:
Approximately 24% voted for him. 25% or more voted for her and a bunch just stayed home. This in some odd way, makes me a bit hopeful.
Yeah, been watching and listening to him for years, Oliver I mean. I was a Leon Russell fan for decades, and Cary and I saw Cohen at the Bitter End, when I was back on medical leave in '67.
Hang in there, Martha, it's all we can do. Maybe in a few months you can come visit me in Lisboa, might have to sleep on a mattress on the floor, but the fumes of Lisboa will waft through the window.
Cheers,
Mike
What has struck me most forcibly over these recent days - judging from blog posts and other communications - is the indomitable will to overcome the dark forces in the world. The Darkness may bludgeon its way into us, but the Light persuades, engulfs, and reminds us of deeper reality. I suspect that some of us may well need to remember the Good when the various European elections are with us next year.
From this side of the herring pond your presidential election seems to have resulted in a comic and catastrophic winner. Yet he was elected democratically. Perhaps enough of the electorate chose to with hold their vote. They do say that, in politics, we get the government we deserve. "We" being those who chose not to commit themselves.
I think you need a wider ranging number of candidates to choose from. With only Clinton and Trump I guess even Solomon would have found it hard to come to a decision!
Post a Comment