Sunday, May 10, 2009

Sleepless


I've been having difficulty sleeping lately. Tonight (early morning, actually) is another of those sleepless times. Stress is interfering with my sleep cycle, which interferes with everything else in my life. I tend to withdraw from the things I normally do, to disengage for awhile. I still function fairly well in my work and at home, but I am not fully participating. I am aware of the disconnect, but not able to stop it. Don't know what this means, this disconnection from reality, from myself and everyone else. I think it might be normal, for me anyway, because it happens fairly regularly.
...
There is a gorgeous full moon out tonight, bright as daylight almost. I love nights like this, in fact - cool, breezy, good sleeping weather. If I could sleep. Wish I could sleep.

Damn, why can't I sleep?
...
Daughter and grandson are sawing logs. I can hear them all the way downstairs here in the back part of the house, where the computer is located. The cats are trying to sleep, but my tapping the keys and the lamp light keeps waking them. They move to a darker corner of the room and bed down again. Lucky little furballs.
...
Outside, I hear some small animal rustling through the brush near the side gate. Probably a mouse, or chipmunk. Not a big enough noise to be anything much larger. (Could be Sowa's spider, of course...jeeze, Martha, don't go down that road again!)
...
The house talks to me when it's quiet out and I'm sleepless. The battery-operated wall clock at the other end of the room ticks each passing second, reminding me that I'm awake when everything else inside is asleep. Its ticking matches the rhythm of my heartbeat, of which I am extraordinarily aware right now.
...
The refrigerator hums, the boiler gurgles, the toilet tank drips every ten or so heartbeats...oops, it skipped a beat...the tank, not my heart. One of the cats yawned, again. The wind whistles down the chimney in a melancholy sigh. When I pause my typing to compose my thoughts, I absent-mindedly brush my fingertips across the keys, ever so lightly, yet it sounds like I'm dragging a gunny full of corn husks along the floor. The stairs creak as the house settles some more in the cool night air.
...
I'm worried. I cannot find another part-time job to supplement my income. My daughter lost her job this week and I don't know how I am going to support three people on income that didn't completely cover the expenses of one. I worry about losing my home, then feel guilty because of all those families who have lost theirs already, and those who have been homeless for several years. I worry about being unable to feed my family, then remember there are babies who went to bed tonight with nothing to eat all day, and the day before that, and likely tomorrow, too.
...
The clock ticks on, oblivious to my concerns. Or, maybe, it is trying to reassure me that this, too, shall pass, just like the seconds it marks with each tick. Sleep, sleep, sleep, it ticks...sleep, sleep, sleep.
...
With each heartbeat, each drip, each tick, I feel myself reconnecting to the rest of the world. Back to the land of the living, the snoring, the breathing. Reconnecting to myself, my intelligence and memories and reasoning skills.
...
I have survived worse than the things that won't let me sleep tonight, the things that have disturbed my sleep for weeks now, the things that I sought refuge from by disconnecting. I'll figure out solutions for all these worries. We'll get through this, just as we have gotten through other tough times.
...
Goodnight, beautiful moon. Goodnight, rustling noise out by the gate. Goodnight, spring peepers. Goodnight, cats and goodnight, house. I'm going to bed.
...
Perchance to sleep.
...
(c) 2009 Martha McLemore

17 comments:

SILVER said...

The times are trying for many people right now. I'm sorry that you're going through it now. Leave your worries and cares at the Lord's feet. Plunge into his abundant provisions of grace and rest.. Things always get better. They will.

Zhoen said...

My dear one is chronically sleepless, and I would share mine with him, if only I could. I get detached if I'm just a few hours short of sleep, when the hamster wheel of my worries spins through the night.

Melatonin supplements help some folks.

jackc50 said...

you do need to slep. things have to get better and they will. that beautiful moon shining through your window has been known to have all sorts of effect on people and animals. restlessness is one of those symptoms. and giant spiders is another...heehee. see its good to laugh, take care, jc

Harlequin said...

Crow---sometimes the moon just gets in my blood and I have to give it its rhythm... at the very least, I am horizontal and in a different relationship with gravity...and then I breathe, and reflect and wait.

The Crow said...

Zhoen:

I used to take melatonin, and should keep a bottle on hand for nights such as last night. Thank you for the reminder!

:)

The Crow said...

Silver:

(I tried posting this earlier, but it hasn't appeared.)

Yes, things are rough all over, and that knowledge reminds me my life is not as bad as I sometimes think.

Thank you for your kindness.

:)

The Crow said...

John:

You just couldn't help yourself, could you, you booger!

You are so right, it is good to laugh. Thank you for the chuckle!

:)

The Crow said...

Harlequin:

In the months that followed Katrina, my sister (who survived the hurricane) and I made a point of going outside on full moon nights and talking to each other, describing how the moon looked from our backyards. (We almost lost her in that storm, didn't hear from her for three days - long, scary days - after it had passed.)

I love the moon, especially when it is full.

:)

susan said...

Good morning dear Crow, and Happy Mother's Day to you. I've been worried about you since your posting dropped off longer than is usual. You've returned with a couple of extraordinary pieces of writing here and once again I'm very impressed with your eloquence and bravery.
Both my husband and I have cut back our work hours voluntarily to help save the jobs of others and for a couple of weeks wondered if he'd be let go in a general purge of medical support staff. I wonder why the executives never lay themselves off?
I do hope things stabilize quickly for you and your family. The stiff upper lip thing is a good start but it's terrible this country has no social security net. Just like the Titanic, the lifeboats have been filled by the wealthy. Will we never learn not to trust them?
I apologize for anger showing through on this lovely day but it's upsetting to have no help to offer other than my words and great fondness for you. Be well.

The Crow said...

Dear Susan (and Best Beloved Crow):

I am more coward than I am brave, but my conscience won't allow me to quit. My mother had six children to raise, alone, and we lived in our car and abandoned houses at times, so I know that we can do this. When the self-pity gets to be too much, I think of Mama and how she managed in a time that didn't reach out to the homeless as well as it does now. She didn't have the public social resources I have available to me. I have no excuse for failing, not if I want to look her in the face someday.

Kind words are the best help sometimes, and now is one of those times, so I thank you. Remember when Crow came home and you posted the link to the video of the condors in Peru? I play that every now and then for the spirit-lifting music and images. You help in ways you don't know. You share your art and your heart, great gifts indeed.

:)

lisahgolden said...

I hope you got to sleep! This was a beautiful post, despite the difficulty of elusive sleep.

The Crow said...

Lisa:

Happy Mother's Day, GoldenGirl! I hope those children of yours lavished you with the attention you deserve today.

Yes, I snoozed well, and plan to do so again in a few hours. I am reconnected and that seems to have cured the sleeplessness.

:)

The Joined up Cook said...

Disengagement or detachment can be good.

It allows you to look at things, hopefully, more dispassionately.

I think it is that quality that allows people to write too.

Roderick Robinson said...

It's the nighttime noises that you can't identify that preclude sleep. There's a hum here that I've finally decided is simply the house itself; after all I myself make noises when I'm asleep. More alarming, until I traced it, was the contraction of the heating pipes (a quite sharpish crack) long after the central heating had switched off. I'm sorry you can't sleep. I'm in two minds about recommending you try to write a Miltonian sonnet (Yet to be posted; I'm apprehensive): it could send you off, or it might prevent you ever sleeping again. There is something to be said for accepting the inevitable, turning on the light and opening Burton's "Anatomy of melancholy". Or doing lists: the ten worst films set in New York, etc. I liked "a gunny full of corne husks".

The Crow said...

Susan:

I reread your comment. You and your husband are more than gracious in your efforts to help save hours/jobs for other workers. This goes beyond thoughtfulness. This is one of the most selfless acts I can think of, and I admire you both for caring so for others.

Martha

The Crow said...

AWB:

There is an expression I learned from the I Ching about "pulling in your horns," which I took to mean pulling back from a situation in order to see it or, perhaps, cope with it better.

Always made me think of a snail pulling in its antennae when threatened - a self protective move.

I like your assessment of the situation better.

:)

The Crow said...

BB, my dear:

At one time in my life, I slept on a mattress of corn husks in a burlap bag. The husks were superior to straw as a filler because it didn't poke through the gunny and because it smelled so sweet.

So, you have another sonnet for us? I can hardly wait! First, though, I need to google Miltonian sonnet to understand how it might differ from one of Will's. I take it the rhyming pattern is different, or perhaps the length?

Your post about andouillette sparked a pleasant conversation with my sister about food memories from long ago. You were mentioned fondly.

:)