Sunday, February 15, 2009

Michelle's Challenge

Several days ago, Michelle, http://crows-feet.blogspot.com/2009/02/save-words-meme.html (sorry, I don't know how to embed that or make a link to her blog--still learning), issued a challenge to several people to visit a web site and adopt a word or two or more that were about to be dropped from dictionaries. I chose three; all seemed appropriate for my Crow persona.






An aretaloger is one who writes or recites aretologies, the name for sacred biographies. See :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aretalogy. Another definition of aretologer is braggart, one who is annoyingly boastful. Crows sometimes seem excessively boastful, especially after they've put one over on some hapless cat or human who had the effrontery to cross the crow's path.

Crocitation means caws, cawing or croaking. Crocitation can refer to the sound of frog and toad songs, or the cries of seagulls, too. The word makes me think of "recitation," which is how I'll use it in a separate post.

Nidifice means nest. I used to have a blog titled "Sofie's Nest," but I closed it out. It was full of pain and angst about my crumbling marriage (non-marriage, actually) to a man who turned out to have one too many psycho-sexual disorders than I could handle. Who needs the reminder?

So, if I can get my crap together, I'll post something using the words I adopted.
(c) 2009 Martha McLemore

6 comments:

Michelle said...

What wonderful words! ...and unintended alliteration. ;-)

I'll add the link thing for each of your word posts (didn't know how to either till today, but atill don't know the right language/terms for all this stuff).

KaliDurga said...

Crocitation's got a nice sound to it. You're right, it does bring to mind 'recitation'. Would your poem in the other post also qualify as an aretalogy?

To embed urls, highlight the word(s) you'd like to use as your hyperlink, then click the url button and enter the url. Voila, the word you highlighted becomes your link. I usually then go into the html editor and add target="_blank" at the end of the a href code so that the link will open in another tab or page.

The Crow said...

Ha! You know, Michelle, I didn't even catch the alliterations until you pointed them out. Funny, the things the subconscious mind does to us, isn't it.

Kali, if you mean the song about the toaster, I suppose one could say that is an aretalogy of the braggart sort, to be sure! Crows will brag about anything!

I am going to practice embedding links. I thank you and Michelle (she emailed me with instructions, too) for you assistance with that.

Martha

Anonymous said...

I just love this idea of adopting words.... it speaks to me on all kinds of levels.....some of my earlier....training ....involved doing word etymologies and from the get go, I was hooked. I am glad I visited and found out about this wonderful project .... and a way to follow through and do it!!
regards,
Harlequin

Anonymous said...

I've been using Nidifice as an online name for over 5 years now. At the time I could only find one or two google entries for it. I've even bought the domain name (not currently using it for anything). I have seen its usage increase as well, beyond my using it as an alias, but people actually using it here and there.

The Crow said...

Harlequin:

Thank you for dropping by. Michelle's challenge was great fun to do, really pushed me to think about crows - what I have observed of them - and try to put something together. I'm working on nidifice now.

Anony/Nidifice:
What an unusual alias! How did you come upon the word and what made you decide to use it as a name?

Thank you both for visiting; hope you will drop by again sometime.

Martha