Spring?
I think spring fever has taken hold of me today. The birds are chirping their heads off outside, the air temperature is warm-ish and I think I see mounds of greenery popping up out there. (Where did I put those glasses?)The first harbingers of spring in my sorely neglected garden are the winter aconite and the snowdrops, followed closely by the spring crocuses. This morning, all I could find up and in bloom/in bud are the aconite and one lonely crocus.
A neighbor has a fence row of forsythia bordering his yard. When that blooms, I'll know Spring has arrived, no matter what the calendar or the weather says to the contrary!(c) 2009 Martha McLemore
6 comments:
spring here is leaving some green tiny dots here and there on the naked trees and bushes...
and i love to watch her finish her painting...
The buds on the dogwood at my back door are beginning to swell, but it will be a couple more months before we see blossoms.
Spring and autumn are my favorite times of the year, probably because of all the color in the landscape.
Martha
Bring it on! Bring on the spring. I can't wait for it. It isn't quite here yet where I live, but it is getting closer. :)
Hello, Daisy:
Found another crocus this morning, but when I went in for my camera, one of the cats sat on it, crushed it to the ground!
Cats just have no appreciation for beauty!
Martha
Spring is close in Portland, OR. Last week I saw some snowdrops blooming in th nw part of town. They're quite rare in this country and the original bulbs must have been carried from England.. or maybe not. What do I know about what the nurseries can provide? Still, the crocuses identified in other years are soon to flower and there's a hint of pink on the early cherry trees. I'm glad.
Hello, Susan:
From the little I've read about snowdrops (meaning, take this with a grain of salt), they're an alpine plant, not native to the Americas. But, like a lot of plants and flowers we now have colonized, they likely did come over with immigrants, maybe even on the Mayflower!
Post a Comment