Tuesday, November 11, 2014
From Two USN Veterans to All Others
My daughter, Kareema, reminded me that an area restaurant was offering lunch to veterans today. We went, with grandson Donovan in tow. Nice meal, even nicer company. On the way out, Kareema saw this flag and wanted us to have our photo taken beneath it.
Another time, I might have declined (don't like having my picture taken, as a rule), might have put her off. Now, I'm taking every opportunity to make memories for later, to have a pleasant day, to enjoy every moment.
Thank you, veterans everywhere, for serving your countries and your fellow citizens. If you are reading this, it means you came home from your service. That's a good thing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
As the toast goes:
"Here's to us and those like us."
and the refrain:
"Most of them are dead."
I am so glad you aren't. Take care and let the family fuss over you some.
Happy Veterans Day! That's a lovely picture. I asked the residents today about their service.
Almost all the men had served---one said he'd been in the WACS! He's a kidder and I'm pretty sure he was joking. :)
He was obviously really moved to sing patriotic songs---especially the line "land of the free and the home of the brave".
Getting home is the important part. Having a typical VD, trying and and tiring, which is also appropriate.
Should,
I love that.
November 11th is Remembrance day here in Canada and a holiday for all. As it should be.
Best wishes to you and your lovely daughter.
Do you think I qualify as a vet? Two years in the RAF, into which I was dragged, kicking and screaming. As they used to say: one volunteer is worth ten pressed men. Well, for sure, I was one of those pressed men.
I arrived in the US aged thirty with a card disclosing my draft status: 5A. 5 looked good, but I didn't like the look of that A. I finally tracked down an authority who translated 5A as "only in extreme emergency". I saw myself picking up radioactive remains. Then came Watergate and the nation's fabric appeared to be falling apart. Would they need me? If called I decided I'd volunteer for the Seals, knowing that I'd be rejected on the grounds that the balance of my mind was clearly disturbed. Tricky Dicky saved me by resigning and I've had a soft spot for him ever since.
Don't know why you don't like being photographed, Martha - you make a good one (but then - I say that to all the girls!)
Like RR I suppose I qualify as a vet (and have the lapel badge as witness) although 3 years in the army as a young man, without any enemy to confront, may not count!
Post a Comment