
Carpe (Foreground) at nine days; Tempus at eight days. Compare to only two days before.
Carpe flew first, on Thursday, 5-26. Flew off the nest, then didn't know how to get back to it.
Tempus was left behind. Hadn't even learned how to curl its toes around a twig yet.
However, by Friday morning, 5-27, Tempus was getting up the nerve to leave, too. Parents and Carpe were nowhere to be seen, though I heard a lot of cooing nearby. I like to think that was Tempus' family calling encouragement. Right after I snapped this picture, Tempus took flight and was gone.
Messy empty nest is all that remains.

11 comments:
Human children grow at about the same rate.
Yes, it seems so, Jim! In the blink of an eye. And we parents age even faster, or was that just me?
Faster. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak. I really dislike coming to understand that one.
Oh, lord, we are on the same page on that one!
BTW, your snake buddy looks like a grey garter snake. They are good friends in the garden, but I never stood aroud to determine if a snake was friend or foe. If something slithers, it cannot, by default, be a friend.
I'm no expert on brands of snakes, other than they're all very dangerous to the people around me as I climb upon their shoulders.
The back looked black from the var, but closer inspection, and I'm very generous with what makes closer here, I espied grey mottles. The belly was off-white.
Of course, after being hit by a car tire, it seem reasonable to be a little off-color.
The head was smaller than I expected from what we call a puff adder, given that the last one I met up close and personal some 45 years ago had a head the size of a pie pan.
Glad to see they were safely fledged. I'm sure you're right about the family being close at hand.
wow-- this is such a neat unfolding of image and story... thanks for sharing it.
What a quick and happy ending. And what great photos.
Tempus fugit!
God, how interesting that you could hear the cooing. I think it is much the same for us human parents. We just watch from afar and coo....
Such beautiful and poignant pictures, Martha. Yes, it seems like children they are gone terribly fast. And I too am aging way too fast!
Post a Comment