Saturday, May 14, 2011

Life Goes On



Over the first weekend in May, I startled, and was startled by, two mourning doves in the front bay of my carport. Several years ago, I placed some oak trimmings with unusual growths on them there, thinking I would use them in some art project or the other that never materialized. I guess the doves decided the jumble of twigs and branches was prime real estate, because they built a nest there. In fact, that's what they were doing that weekend, finishing the construction. That's Mama Dove on the nest, above, around twilight on Monday, 2 May. (The males sit the nest during the daylight hours; the females sit at night.)



Junior #1, about a day old; early Tuesday morning. Papa flew the coop, so to speak, when I walked out to the Jimmy, which shares the bay with the Doves. Papa Dove is the 'flightier' of the two parents, always quick to flee.



This is Papa Dove, early Wednesday morning, as I left for work. This time, he stayed put.


On Thursday, 5 May, when Papa left the nest, I saw that Junior #2 had been deposited.



Today, Junior #1 hatched, likely while Mama Dove was sitting the nest, during the night. Junior #1 is using Junior #2, still in egg, as a headrest. It has been 16 days since I first noticed the doves building the nest. I think Mama Dove must have laid her first egg late on May Day. A promising start to the month, I'd say.

(C) 2011 Photographs by Martha McLemore

9 comments:

marja-leena said...

Great photos and how very exciting to observe the action! Sounds like they chose a safe place too.

Sort of reminds me of the time some swallows made a nest in the carport of our previous home at the time, right above where the car would be parked (and thus shat on!). We forgave when they'd do their wonderful aerial stunts for us. The next year, said carport had been closed in to make it a garage but if the door was left open, they immediately flew in to make a new nest in the same spot. Frustrated by our non-cooperation they tried the light fixture above the front entrance. No, we sadly said, that is not a good place. I know, you will say we were cruel.

The Crow said...

Oh, no, Marja-Leena; I understand completely. As soon as these babies are fledged and out of the nest, I'm clearing out the branches and twigs. I like that they've nested where I can watch the spectacle of bird life unfold, but there are numerous trees and shrubs in my yard that would be better sites.

Plus, it is too startling to have dove feathers flutter in my face whenever I go past them!

Anonymous said...

Doves are not generally the more skilled nest builders of the fowl. It's glad to see they do a little better than I've given them credit for. Here, they usually nest high up in the pines, and can be hard to see very well.

However, I agree, despite the fine spectacle, dodging startled wings every time I step out can get a little old.

Zhoen said...

Young parents, do you think?

Still, very cool. Only in egg a few weeks? I somehow thought it would be longer.

Lucy said...

Wonderful to be able to watch and photograph them like that!

We were in exactly the some position as ML with swallows in the garage. They won in the end, by finding the smallest of gaps we'd left and making their way in anyway, so we gave up trying to stop them, for this year.

Anne said...

I love the pictures. I suppose the first hatched will have an advantage being farther along when the second emerges. I wonder whether both will survive.

I have a lot of cowbirds at my feeders this year. They lay in other birds' nests and their babies interfere with the other hatchlings. I wish there were not so many of the parasitic birds.

Harlequin said...

what a wonderful sequence and lovely thoughtful words. thanks for this ...
and for the earlier posts on your adventures and triumphs in the garden. you are a warrior!

Lydia said...

...using other junior as a headrest! Now that is adorable commentary. I love that you supplied them with just the perfect nesting material and that you are privileged to get near enough for wonderful nest images. I posted about two ringneck doves that visited our fence last month. They did not stay and have not returned. :(

The Crow said...

Jim: The nest started out as a bowl of soft twigs and plant stems, but soon was squashed flat as the parents sat on the eggs.

Zhoen: They must be inexperienced. I can't imagine veterans would build so close to humans. Wikipedia says the eggs are incubated 14-15 days, then the young are fledged in another two weeks. Seems fast to me, too.

Lucy: I have that problem with starlings. One enterprising pair pried up the gutter cover and squeezed in to make a nest.

Anne: I haven't seen cowbirds in my yard, but the catbirds are keeping a close eye on the doves. I hope it is only friendly interest they're showing.

Harlequin: I hope to get more pictures as the youngsters develop.

Lydia: Thank you for dropping by, and for your link to your blog. I enjoyed reading about the doves. Lovely photos you snapped, too.