Sunday, May 9, 2010

Post Surgery Notes

I wrote some time ago that divorce begins long before you file for it and continues on for quite some time after the final papers are signed. I've been divorced once before, which is how I know this to be true. Processing the effects of this emotional surgery takes its own sweet time to accomplish, and you must allow it to do so, or it takes forever, even when you are the one who does the filing. I filed, in both cases.

This divorce was different because of the special circumstances surrounding it. While there is much I could (and want) to say about my marriage to Ex-Beloved, now is not the time, and maybe here is not the place. I will say this: getting the news that the divorce had been certified sliced me in two, which I didn't expect. I was stunned and shocked, despite the fact that I filed for divorce almost three years ago, and there was no way we could ever reconcile. I wanted out of this relationship, absolutely - unequivocally. Still, when it happened, I felt as disconnected from my life as if a guillotine had separated my head from the rest of my body. I was rendered numb and speechless, at least as far as blogging was concerned. I had nothing to say.

I gave almost half my life on earth to a relationship founded in fraud, which took me twenty-eight of those years to discover. My husband knew from the beginning (long before we met, actually) that he was not what he presented himself to be, and likely would have gone on presenting this false face for as long as it took. He had a lot to hide from the world and marriage was a necessary part of keeping those things hidden. His first wife was stronger than I was, although being married to him took its toll on her self-esteem, too. She filed for divorce after suffering in her marriage for almost five years.

In the state of Pennsylvania, a marriage can be dissolved after a waiting period of 90 days, so I could have been finished with it at the end of November, 2007, but several factors prevented my doing so, most of them fears I've carried with me from childhood: fears of homelessness and being unable to fend for myself alone. But, I now realize - coming out of the numbness that hit me last month - there was something more I needed, desperately needed, in order to get over this. In fact, I think it was key to severing our ties, more important than any property or money exchanged at settlement.

I needed to hear him acknowledge, to me, sincerely (and I know when he isn't), that he knows what he did, that he understands the impact of his actions and lies on my well-being and that he truly is sorry for it. I was waiting for something that probably never would have come, but on 5 April, any chance I might have had of receiving such an acknowledgement was cut off, like a guillotine to my neck. Like a knife, plunged even deeper into my heart.

The blessing from all of this is that the divorce was the kindest cut of all, and that I am free to make any choice I want, go in any direction I choose to take, with no unhealthy emotional strings attached to anyone to keep me bound in place.

With this post, I feel a letting go of the last 30 years, a re-attachment of my head and heart. There is a refreshing breeze, like the cool wind blowing outside right now, sweeping out the last of the pain, the guilt and the anger - the marriage cobwebs - I've carried for far too long.

I deeply, sincerely, forgive you, Ex-B, and wish you well. Adieu, adieu.

And I forgive myself, too...something likely more important than forgiving you.

(Please do not be offended, Blogger friends, that I don't answer your comments on this subject. I am grateful that you leave your compassionate thoughts; they've helped me tremendously, many times, on many issues.)

12 comments:

Zhoen said...

I thought I needed that kind of acknowledgement and apology from my father. My brother did it for him, and I realized that was enough. Someone, anyone, can tell one, it's ok, you are not insane, this wasn't fair, it shouldn't have happened.

If those people were capable of such insight, they wouldn't have treated us shabbily in the first place. We don't need anything from them.

I remember that sense of being cut adrift, it's horrible, but it does close over, in time. For me, it was about failure, and facing my own huge mistake, and knowing I had to go on.

Steve said...

You may not think it but your actions and resolve through this traumatic time have been admirable. The path was thin, difficult to see and thorny... but you have found your way through.

Fresca said...

I have missed you, O Crow.

I am glad to hear your heart and head are reattached.

As Dante wrote, coming up from his descent into hell:
"And so we emerged to see the stars again."

marja-leena said...

As Steve said! I think you show much strength and courage! Wishing you continued refreshing breezes and much good wishes in everything in the days and months ahead!

Connie said...

Sending you good thoughts and wishing you well, Martha.

ArtSparker said...

Those rusty hinges when the door opens, like joints that waking up...Hope the Spring continues to open things up for you.

Unknown said...

Glad you're posting again and beginning to feel connected. What you have gone through sounds a bit like bereavement. Hard to get over.On the positive side, you don't sound bitter. Bitterness is a waste of energy. Enjoy the sense of freedom which you describe so well.

Harlequin said...

sending thoughts and prayers;
and on forgiving yourself: golden.

Roderick Robinson said...

Twenty-odd years is a long time to be associated with anyone and one worry about such a divorce is which version of you will emerge at the other end. Speaking as someone on a distant sideline and judging only by the way you write I am optimistic. The necessary clearsightedness is still there to compensate for the wounds. Introspection but not too much of it. Sentences that parse. You sound as if you'll make it and my wishes about this must be obvious.

Lucy said...

Everything the others said. It will still be hard, but your words and the feelings behind them are coming through strong and clear.

And yes, forgiving yourself, and seeing you need to. Anger and contempt at oneself are part of not wanting to be a victim, I think, but they take their toll. It will come, though.

Bless you, Martha, and good courage.

Rouchswalwe said...

It certainly is not an easy road to walk down when you know that lies are in the underbrush. But from your posts, you seem to know that one's gaze must be raised from the ground to see that which can lend strength. Head and heart connected and freedom ... fly Martha! And keep your ears stiff!

Mollye said...

Oh sister, I feel your pain and I've been where you are now. It all comes to the fact that people will often disappoint us but God will not. He will see you through this. Wishing you peace, and new beginnings in life. XXMollye