Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Stormy Weather



She's gone, and it is storming outside...and raining inside. What a voice, what a beauty, what a woman! She was a civil rights activist before most of the others from my generation were in diapers. She was a legend and an inspiration, no stranger to fame and fortune, or controversy.

I'm sorry she's gone, but am glad I was here while she was around.

10 comments:

Steve said...

Ah they don't make them like that anymore...

HKatz said...

Thank you for sharing; what lovely singing. I'm glad there are recordings at least preserving this music, these graceful and classy performances.

Zhoen said...

Still, she had a great run.

The Crow said...

Steve: They sure don't!

HKatz: Hello. Nice of you to visit. You hit the nail on the head - she was classy with a capital C. (I like what you do at your blog, with the week in seven words format. I'll visit again to read your older posts.)

Z: I've been listening to her singing off and on this afternoon. I like her rendition of My Heart Belongs to Daddy best of all who've recorded it. She did, indeed, have a long run. I should be so lucky. 92!

Roderick Robinson said...

I saw that beautiful face as disdainful - a disdain directed at all her tormentors. She was above them, of course.

Unknown said...

The last moments of the clip dancing in the rain are brilliant. Nostalgia doesn't come better than this. Thanks for the memory.

Lucy said...

A sad loss, but a very good age and a very good life.

Rouchswalwe said...

The power of having a song in the heart!

The Crow said...

BB: She was, indeed. I read one time how she threw a lamp, maybe a drink as well, can't remember, at a racist who was heckling her in a nightclub back in the 40s. She took no guff, from anyone.

Plutarch: You're welcome. Ms. Horne was one of my favorites, for many reasons.

Lucy: I hope I can make the rest of my life as good as she made hers.

Rouchswalwe: Amen to that!

EcoRover said...

Great clip--thanks for sharing!