Tuesday, November 3, 2009

After the Storm

I have battled depression most of my life, and have been caught up in anxiety attacks more times than I want to remember. This latest round was triggered by a couple of things (I think; could be wrong): my daughter's situation, and signing divorce settlement papers.

I don't understand the mechanics of depression/anxiety disorder. While I can't speak to what happens in the brain that causes these bouts, I can tell you how it feels to be in one of them. It's like being in a hurricane.

In September, 1965, Hurricane Betsy hit New Orleans with winds of 125+ MPH. We were living in the Florida Avenue Housing Project at the time, in a second floor apartment. The FAHP is in the infamous (because of Katrina) Ninth Ward, near the Industrial Canal. That section of the city was in the direct path of the storm. In fact, the eye passed overhead. But, the story of Betsy and my family is for some other time. I bring her up because that experience is how I know what it's like to be smack dab in the center of a hurricane, and why being in one is such a good metaphor for the depression/anxiety attack I just climbed out from under.

It starts with a vague discomfort, not anything you can put your finger on really. Maybe it's a change in the brain's chemistry, its barometric pressure, so to speak. If not addressed right away, or if other stressors are added to the heap, the decline continues, becomes more uncomfortable, increasing a sense of uneasiness you can't quite shake, though it hasn't overtaken joy and fun just yet. You can still function fairly normally, but there is a growing dark cloud just over the horizon of consciousness: menacing, foreboding, stalking.

The first winds appear, blowing harder than normal breezes. Anxiety creeps into the picture. "Hey, this isn't right. You can stop this anytime now, God, okay?" You note that you are now officially worried, though you still might not be able to say why, exactly.

The winds become howlers, seriously different from gentle breezes. You notice you are becoming afraid, and decide to go inside and close all the windows, pull the drapes. "This will pass soon," you tell yourself, having completely forgotten other episodes, other storms which didn't pass quickly. Going through this storm is like going through one for the first time, if you don't take protective measures to head off the worst of it, or find better shelter to wait it out.

The first wave of screaming winds and horizontal, needle-sharp raindrops hits your shelter like a mega-ton sledge hammer. The building shakes and shudders, your spirit quakes in fear. Anxiety rises like floodwaters, creeping ever higher, almost out of control.

The storm knocks out electrical power and you are thrown into darkness. You've forgotten the flashlight, can't find it quickly, then realize you have no batteries to replace the ones that have died. Outside, the winds sound like you are standing at the rear of a jet engine running at top speed. You can't hear anyone else's voice, and your own thoughts are drowned out by the noise. You think you might die. You feel alone, despite being in a roomful of other people - friends, family, neighbors - who are experiencing the same storm as you. Survival fears place their frigid hands on your body and you are on the verge of emotional, physical collapse.

You scream at God; "What the fuck, Man?!" And immediately feel guilty for saying such a thing, but that's the least of your worries.

You realize, in the darkness, amid the Winds from Hell, that you have reached your breaking point. You begin to think there is no justifiable reason to continue struggling. The Unthinkable rears its head like the water moccasin that floated in on the rising floodwaters, about to strike.

Fortunately, at that almost-irrevocable moment of desperation, the eye of the storm arrives, and you go outside on your balcony for a breath of fresh air. It is still dark out, but when the clouds break for a few seconds, revealing a near-full moon, you can see just how high the waters have risen. You can hear the screams of neighbors on their rooftops, calling out to God, to anyone, for help. "Save me, save us," they yell. "Over here! We're over here! Please come save us!"

The eye passes and the storm resumes. You retreat back into your darkness, with the pleas of your neighbors louder in your mind, now, than the noise from the Winds of Hell. Their cries become your cry. "Please hear me. I am here. I am afraid. Help me."

Someone hears you. Maybe it is the Universe, maybe it is God, maybe it is the stronger Self that resides within your soul, your spirit. Who knows? Who cares?! Someone has thrown you a rope, given you fresh batteries for your torch.

Although the storm is still with you, the Winds of Hell are no longer the only sound you hear. Hope, at first a faint whisper, becomes the reassuring Voice of Reason, growing louder with every passing hour. You realize, "Hey! I'm still here!" (A big hug and thank you to Mary Tuel for that enlightening mantra/prayer.)

Daylight has banished the Darkness. Hope and Determination have kicked Fear and Desperation down the dungeon steps, back where they belong. By God! it feels good to be alive, to be out of the Storm of Despair.

Now is the time to find all my survival tools and get to work cleaning up the debris, making my shelter stronger for when the next storm comes.

Thank you, everyone, for the ropes you tossed me, the help and encouragement you have provided. I won't ever forget what you've done to help me weather this hurricane.

As blog-friend Joe Spado says, "Peace be with you."

(c) 2009 Martha McLemore

25 comments:

e said...

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXXO
Take a deep breath, Mattie... it's going to be ok.

The Crow said...

Hello, e:

Yes, it is going to be just fine. Sunshine all over the place today.

:)

Utah Savage said...

I'm so sorry I haven't been around to throw you a rope, offer you my batteries. I have been swallowed by twitter. But today I find I'm missing you my friend. I stop by and find that I missed the chance to offer words of comfort. I'm sorry for that, but glad you're on the mend.

Steve said...

The worst thing about being in such a storm is knowing deep down that it will probably pass and yet being unable to find the emotional conviction within yourself to take comfort from this fact. Depression is a voracious, pewling creature that convinces you that you are totally alone. I'm glad the winds have died down for you. Wishing you a million blue skies.

The Crow said...

Utah, friendship is the greatest comfort one can offer, and you have. Thank you.

And, yes, I'm mending, quite well.

:)

The Crow said...

Steve:
You have described depression like someone on first name basis with it. I hope that is not the case for you, but I also hope, if need be, you won't hesitate to borrow a rope.

:)

marja-leena said...

Welcome back to the sunshine, brave you! {0}

Zhoen said...

Take a nice long walk, thinking only about walking. Until you start feeling us all walking beside you.

Harlequin said...

(0).
...and as I commented earlier, sometimes the only way around is through. Glad the soul's weather is evening...

Roderick Robinson said...

There is a piece of music that follows the pattern on your depression. Beethoven's "Pastoral" symphony starts with idyllic scenes close to a brook and moves on to peasants' merrymaking which is brought to an end when rain starts to fall. The next movement is a violent - and convincing - storm (worth the highest of hi-fis) which finally blows itself out and is replaced by the relief of the aftermath, said to hint at the appearance of a rainbow. Beethoven led a very troubled life and may have suffered from depression. Whatever - the music listened to in tranquillity will, I hope, be a reminder that everything passes. Having written this I seem to recall you're familiar with the piece anyway, so regard this as a gentle reminder and not an act of pedagogy. Best wishes.

Lindsay Lobe said...

Hi Martha

Both of your last 2 postings are wonderfully creative writings to tell us so much about you, and of the struggles that we could never fully appreciate, except for your clever analogies to a storm and the emotions of your inner child.

I do trust your feeling better, both with the passing of the storm of depression and because your writings I trust may allow air to your worries – as what seems to be the case - and within that release may more calming water encountered for you and your daughter.

Best wishes

KaliDurga said...

That's the most profound thing I've learned about depression-- Just as joy is an ephemeral, fleeting thing, so is the blackness of the storm you so well described. Though perhaps "fleeting" isn't the right word. Plodding and dragging are probably better terms for how depression passes from us.

I hope that your most recent triggers will come to resolution as soon as possible, Martha, so that the storm will stay at bay.

Spadoman said...

Your friend, Joe Spado, does wish you peace. Peace in your heart. I've been lurking, watching you go through what you seem to have had to go through. I've done the same, maybe to a varying degree, but the same, anxiety and depression, right along with the anger, fear and isolation.
You've made a great start to ward off the next wave, whenever that might be, as you got this out of yourself. You gave it to us. You handed it over, and shed yourself of it. Understanding it doesn't help all the time, this I know first hand. As Betsy was followed by Katrina and other 'caines, so will the life's journey. But I think you deserve a big thank you for sharing and some positive energy sent your way and another constant wish for peace to you and to all.

The Crow said...

Z:

I used to walk every day, and it does clear the mind, wonderfully. Time to make it a good habit again.

:)

The Crow said...

Harlequin:
Yep, sometimes you just have to grit your teeth and ride out the storm. Storms are passing phenomena, something to try to remember when one blows in.

:)

The Crow said...

BB:
I've listened only to parts of Beethoven's Pastoral, and only through YouTube via my computer, which, I am certain, does not do the music the justice it deserves.

I have added a proper recording of the symphony to my wish list. Perhaps I will give it to Mattie for Christmas.

;)

The Crow said...

Lindsay:
I hesitate to write from my life, not so much becauseI would embarrass myself, but because other people read my posts sometimes, and I would rather not make then uncomfortable. However, writing out what troubles me does, as you suggest, lighten the burden of depression.

I am reminded of when I was a kid and used to tell my secrets or make a wish before letting the wind take the milkweed seed out of my hand. I would watch the seed-fluff float away on the breeze, and was comforted by that. The feeling now is similar.

:)

The Crow said...

Kali:
I am better equipped today than I was three months ago when the recent episode took hold, partly because I did the unthinkable (for me) and asked for help.

From what you've written, it sounds like you've had a few dances with depression yourself. Hugs to you, friend.

:)

The Crow said...

Joe Spado:
I think the feeling of isolation from humanity is probably the worst part of the disease. The whole process messes with our ability to think critically, rationally, about what we are experiencing.

Depression sucks air, doesn't it? Thank you for your support, friend. I hope you are doing better, too.

:)

Steve said...

I've been bitten twice by the black dog... weirdly, I survived the second by remembering what I learnt from the first.

The Crow said...

Steve:

I've been making notes. The first one reads: "Don't wait so damned long before asking for help!"

I've refused medication each time it has been offered/recommended. Maybe it is time to reconsider that position.

:)

susan said...

Dear Heart, I'm glad to know you're feeling better. A phrase that's helped me many time over the years is 'In this moment there is nothing to fear'.

The Crow said...

Susan:
That is so logical and reassuring. I will practice saying that in moments of calm, with the hope that in times of stress it will ring true and remind me of better times.

Good thought; thank you for passing it on.

:)

The Crow said...

Marja-Leena:

I missed your email the first time around; wasn't clear-headed enough.

Thank you for the good wishes and hugs. They are much appreciated.

:)

Lucy said...

This is such marvellous writing, about something so difficult. You record the stages and emotions with such meticulous, accurate care, and yet you were in a whirlwind. Such understanding is hard hard work... I feel it needs to be shared further, but here is good.

It always seem that one of the bitch things about depression is that it can be triggered by outside influences but can't really be fixed by them. But I suppose recognising the triggers is some of the battle fought...

Bravo, Martha, and thanks for stayihg with us.