Sunday, August 23, 2009

In the Doghouse


Here in the US, kids collect and trade Poke-Mon and Transformer cards. Right now the latter are especially popular items because of the recent release of a Transformer movie. These cards and movie-related things attract kids in the 6-to-12 year-old range, but by the time they're into puberty (and girls and cars and rap music), they've moved on. Certainly, it is rare to find almost-17-year-old boys still hung up on Poke-Mon toys and trading cards.
.
My going-on-17 grandson is one of those rare birds. Last year, at age 15, he looked like a 10 or 12 year old, had not entered puberty, and was still several inches shorter than I am (I'm 5'6"). More importantly, he had not grown emotionally beyond that age, either. In fact he acted then (and still, occasionally) more like an 8-year-old, going on 4-years-old.
.
My grandson is autistic, has Asperger's Syndrome. After a year of growth hormones and several months in a residential facility that helped him, somewhat, learn to control his responses to the rest of the world, Donovan looks and speaks like a young man of almost-17-years...sometimes...with much reinforcement and continual training at home. He knows right from wrong - as the rules apply to others. Like a lot of Asperger kids, however, he has significant difficulty recognizing that those same social rules apply to him.
.
Which leads me back to the purpose of this post and the picture above. On a recent grocery shopping trip, Donovan was allowed to wander over to the toy section to check out the newest Transformer stuff. He was to go nowhere else and was to rejoin us in 20 minutes. (He wanders away to god-knows-where if left to himself and has gotten into trouble many times with people who do not understand about autism/Asperger's. Oh, the tales I could tell.) He was back with us in less than 10 minutes, having gotten sidetracked by the packs of trading cards that hang in the checkout aisles.
..
"Nanny, I want these new card holders that fit into a notebook folder. I need them for my Poke-mon and other cards. Those old carriers are old and aren't as strong as these."
...
Both his mother, who knows he has more than enough card holders in very good condition, and I, who had enough money for groceries and nothing else, said no, that he was to return them where he found them. His mother reminded him he was supposed to go to the toy department and nowhere else and that he had only 5 minutes left, if he still wanted to look for Transformer things. He left to return the card holders to their proper place. Daughter and I continued with our shopping.
.
Time got away from us and 15 or so minutes later, daughter went to look for her son, while I headed to checkout. She found him on his way back to us, thankfully without some toy he wanted her to buy for him, which eliminated an argument - always a good thing. In fact, grandson was very well behaved, helped me unload the cart, spoke coherently and maturely to the cashier and didn't ask his mother or me for any of the candy these stores use to bait their checkout aisles.
.
I volunteered to buy him one of his favorite candy bars (the small one instead of the supersized) as a special treat. (We don't eat a lot of candy in our house. Chocolate is not candy; it is health food. YES, it IS!)
.
When I looked behind me to tell him he could have a Snickers bar, I noticed he was absent-mindedly jiggling his hand in the pocket of his shorts. I could hear cellophane rattling. My suspicions arose, so I asked him what he had in his pocket.
.
Without thinking, he pulled out a small cellophane-wrapped package, which held something shiny. I asked him what he had and he said it was the new Transformer dog-tags. I knew he didn't have any cash when we came to the store, so I asked where he had gotten them.
.
He quickly answered that some kid had given them to him, in the bathroom. "What kid?" He didn't know. "Describe him." He couldn't.
.
Donovan, did you ask the boy for these?
.
No, he just gave them to me.
.
He walked up to you and offered them to you?
.
No. I saw them in his hand and I told him they looked cool and he said, Do you want them? So I said sure.
.
Something wasn't right. Donovan wouldn't look me in the eye when he spoke; his left leg started wiggling. I was beginning to smell a rat.
.
Did you take these, Donovan?
.
He denied having done so, but kept changing the story of how he came to have them. Daughter headed to the toy department to try to find where the tags had come from, because we both were convinced it wasn't from some kid in the bathroom. Donovan's story had developed so many holes it was leaking his lies all over his shoes.
.
Long story short (too late, I know), I took him to the customer service department because he had taken the last package and there was no sales tag where the package had hung. Not only that, but when I asked to see what was in his other pocket, he said there was nothing there, but when I insisted, he pulled out a package of the latest Poke-Mon cards.
.
I explained to the CS cashier that my grandson, who was standing right beside me, had something to tell her. Donovan repeated his story, adding more new details.
.
I think that boy lied to me, he told the cashier. These might have been stolen.
.
I agreed that somebody had stolen them, but that we were going to pay for them, which I did.
.
The next day, after speaking with his social worker, Donovan admitted he had shoplifted the items and had lied to his mother and me.
.
It was good that he told the truth, and we told him so. We also talked about the importance of trust in relationships, especially within the family, and that being honest, even when it might get us into trouble, is the right thing to do as well as the best way to keep trust strong.
.
Nanny, I didn't mean to steal them. I just wanted them for my collection and I knew you couldn't afford them.
.
So, we talked about intentions and actions, right and wrong behavior and how to make the right choices when faced with temptations. We explained that keeping/taking belongings/merchandise without permission or without payment is theft, plain and simple. He repeated back to us word for word everything we had said (Asperger kids are good at that) and gave us examples of how he would do things differently in the future. He has promised he will never again shoplift anything. I hope he will keep his word.
.
For the time being, he is paying the consequences of his actions. Until we feel we can trust again he may not leave our sides when we are grocery shopping to go look at anything; one of us will accompany him wherever he goes when we are in the store. He also may not use my workshop again until he has worked off the cost of the items by doing odd jobs around the house. In addition, he had to cut up the cards and destroy the dog-tags and chain in our presence and give me all the pieces.
.
Today he is cleaning up downed limbs and twigs on the property, blown down in last night's storm, then will cut the ivy and other vines off the barn. He will scrub the garbage cans before filling them and putting them out on the curb for pick-up tomorrow.
.
To his credit, he is tackling these jobs with the maturity and responsibility of someone almost-17. No whining or complaining, just going about his chore with dignity and determination to do a good job.
.
Maybe we got through to all the Donovans that live inside of him, from the 4-year-old who took what he wanted without understanding the consequences to the almost-17-year-old who nearly cried from shame when he had to destroy the things he stole. (What he doesn't know is that when he left the room, his mother and I cried for him. Life's lessons are usually hard, for the parents/grandparents as much as for the kids.)
..
Uh-oh...the 4-year-old just came in to complain about the number of sticks in the yard. He's whining, a lot.
..
Boo-bear, we need to talk.
(c) 2009 Photo and text Martha McLemore

15 comments:

Zhoen said...

Hard lessons, at any ages.

The Crow said...

Zhoen:

Absolutely.

I'm still learning them.

:)

KaliDurga said...

By the end of the third paragraph, you had me thinking of my sister, Trena, who's almost 40 and was born with Downs Syndrome. She still lives with my parents and has a part-time job bagging groceries. My folks have been through so many similar situations with her over the years (with multiple and varied issues). If anything, it's gotten harder for them because she's become more hard-headed as she's gotten older (she takes after our father that way).

When you mentioned how you and your daughter cried after Donovan left the room, I got a bit misty-eyed myself, thinking of how difficult it is for Trena to understand and *remember* the hard lessons she keeps going through.

Donovan sounds like a fine young man in so many ways, and he's very lucky to have you as a grandma. I've got my fingers crossed for him to have an easier time of it going forward.

The Crow said...

KD: he is a good kid, of whom I am very proud. He is at the high-functioning end of the syndrome and has a brain sharper than mine. He is highly creative and artistic, learns things he's interested in with amazing speed and retention and could be anything he wants to be. His biggest hurdle to overcome is the delayed emotional and social development so typical of these beautiful children. Donovan is a remarkable human being and I love looking at the world through is eyes. I'm learning a great deal about life that I might never have experienced except for him.

He is getting better, every week. He also slips backwards, but his recovery time is shorter and his setbacks are farther between.

He is now 6 feet tall, and no longer has to have hormone injections, since his endocrine system has kicked in.

Thanks for your good wishes, Kali. I hope the same for Trena and your family.

:)

Roderick Robinson said...

Oh, the agonies that children impose upon us. Two things impress me: the way the pair of you - as adults - reacted; you did all the right things and I'm wondering whether, given the circumstances, I would have managed things as well. Also, the punishments are quite serious and intended to be remembered. Scrubbing out the garbage cans, yet! I doubt I would have been allowed to inflict that one on either of my daughters.

Your post made me reflect on punishing children. Our elder daughter (early teens, I'd say) arrived home late one evening. A friend of mine was staying the night and he and I were still chatting. I took daughter to the next room and hollered at her loud and long. Thereafter she was meticulous in phoning us (more difficult then, before mobiles) about lateness. I'd like to think this change in her behaviour was all down to me, but it seems too pat.

Younger daughter (six or seven, say) disappeared for an hour or so. She'd been playing with some kids only two doors away; somehow, because the kids were Chinese, we never thought to look in their garden. In a fury of anger and relief I smacked daughter once on her thigh; never before, never since. A moment of barbarity? For which I could, now, be taken to court. I regret it but not completely. It conveyed a message which I should have been adult enough to do some other way. On the other hand, the message was conveyed. A parent's dilemma. As I say you and your daughter can congratulate yourself on the way you dealt with things in the store and afterwards. If that's some comfort.

lindsaylobe said...

A wonderful post about your grandson and his caring loving grandmother and mother. I was so heartened to read about your insight and steely resolve to do your utmost for him - which was so splendidly achieved.
Thank you for sharing this remarkable story with us.

Best wishes

e said...

One of my friends has a son with Asperger's Syndrome. A sweet boy with absolutely no ability to read people or social situations. He spends a lot of time alone because he just doesn't 'get' the whole friendship thing. He will have a friend for a time but it's usually related to one aspect of his life. And, guess what that often is? Pokemon!

Pokemon is perfect for these kids. They are very detail oriented. Austin is also high functioning and lives as regular a life as his mother can provide.

Sigh. Keep on being the grandmother that he so desperatly needs. Hugs to you and your daughter ~ I know you need them.

herhimnbryn said...

This resonates, indeed it does. Your love for your grandson shines through your words. Love in all its forms, the tough with the unconditional

susan said...

I'm filled with admiration for you and your daughter for handling the situation magnificently. I understand how much easier it would have been to simply pay for the bits and discuss it once you were in private but the lesson you provided is one that will stay with him. There will come a time when he will be out in the world on his own, even if not permanently, and the consequences of having the four year old in charge of his actions are scary. Good job.

The Crow said...

lindsaylobe: thank you for your gracious comments.

We hope we have helped him grow a bit from this experience. I certainly have.

:)

The Crow said...

e:

You have described Donovan almost as if you had met him. He, too, doesn't get the social interaction stuff, but wants friends so badly.

He told me once that he can tell by looking at other kids which ones have Aspergers or one of the other autism spectrum disorders, without their saying a word. I don't know how he does it, but he has been correct 99% of the times he has tried. One child was bipolar, according to his mother, whom Donovan had unabashedly approached and asked if her son was an Asperger's kid before we could stop him.

:)

The Crow said...

herhimnbryn: Hello, nice to see you here.
Tough love is aptly named, for it hurts the ones dishing it out as much as it does those on the receiving end.

A proper measure of discipline is not always easy to determine, is it? I wonder, always, how my mother managed, by herself, with six children. (I had only one child, and was in constant awe of my mother's skills.)

:)

The Crow said...

BB: (had to delete my first response-had answered someone else's comment as yours, in error)

Thank you for your encouragement.

Sounds to me you are a very loving father, who did a very good job of parenting.

The garbage cans weren't all that dirty, by the way. We put plastic liners in, so that cuts down of the filth a bit. I usually clean them a couple of times a year, mostly to get rid of the spiders.

:)

The Crow said...

Dear Susan:

Yes, the four year old in charge of things is scary as hell. He is progressing, and I need to remember that, when his younger, immature selves cause problems. On the other hand, if I'm honest, sometimes the things his younger self does are the most endearing. He hasn't become the world-wise, know-it-better-than-Mom monster teen yet, either, and may not ever.

Donovan's condition looms larger in importance only when I am feeling despair because I can't make things better for him. How arrogant of me to think I could, in the first place, and that there is any 'fixing' to do, in the second. For all the heartache his incurable condition causes his mother (and him, too, lest I overlook that), I wouldn't trade this child, this love-of-my-life, for all the so-called 'perfect' children in the world. Donovan is our gifted treasure, our blessing, our North Star. I am perpetually grateful I get to share my time here with him.

Thank you, for your encouragement. It is most sincerely appreciated.

:)

tsduff said...

I really followed your story all the way through.

My grandson Hunter (*now 7) was once actually diagnosed as having Aspergers - but has turned out not to be stuck with that malady.

That said, your story could easily have been one from my own experience as a mother with the middle of my three children stealing butterfly stickers from a boutique near Sears - we didn't discover it until way down the mall, and when we did I had to march her back and right the wrong (which included many tears, humiliation and contriteness from both 7 year old and Mom (me). It hurts when our children do wrong - but hopefully if we are strong as parents and follow through instead of letting it slip through the cracks, they will develop a sort of moral accountability of their own.

This past weekend my daughter (same one) moved back into my home at her age of 32 with a 7 year old son of her own due to a relationship breakup. I hope I have prepared her somewhat.

Thanks so much for all of your great stories.
xo