The Perfect PumpIn a few hours, I have to take my heart to the hospital for a stress test. Someone there will pump ant poison, with a half-life of 74+ hours, into my veins and watch it travel through the different muscles of my heart in an effort to see which part has died and whether all the coronary vessels are clean, sanitary and free-flowing.
...
I don't mind the trip, but my heart is a little scared, and I'm having difficulty getting to sleep because it keeps tossing and flopping in my chest. My heart has one true comfort food - chocolate - but I can't feed it any because chocolate contains caffeine, which is a no-no until after the test is finished.
...
Bummer, dudes.
...
So, here I sit, in the green glow of the backlit banker's lamp shade, trying to remember all the lullabies I used to sing to my daughter and grandson when they were wee and needed comforting and reassurance that every thing would be all right. My mind is drawing a blank. Can't hear myself think from all the noise my heart is making.
...
Found this one which is rather nice, though a bit sadder than I can handle at the moment. I kinda like this one, but it doesn't make me sleepy or calm the jitters.
...
...
Now my heart can rest, and I can sleep. Just had to find the right lullaby.
(c) 2009 Martha McLemore
14 comments:
Hi MARTHA
The best lullaby will be when the doctor says all is okay. Shame that he could then advise you to stop eating the chocolate!
The first sentence suggests you'll be using a plastic supermarket shopping bag for the job. Trust not. Still the best lullaby is Brahms' Wiegenlied. Best too in German Gute Nacht, etc. You'll know it when you hear it.
Following your research on Spem in alium (which, to my chagrin, I discovered is spelt that way and not with two Ls) I played it again. I really had forgotten almost everything about it - a 40-voice unaccompanied motet by Thomas Tallis, beautifully and thrillingly sung on my CD by something like Antiqua Musica. Funnily enough it was preceded by Allegri's Miserere which, despite its discouraging name, was even better. If you can handle MP3 files I could send you them as an email attachment.
Oh I wish I can be near you now..I don't sing lullabies though..but I can talk to you so that you won't think much about the heart. Hugs to you..I hope everything happens as smooth as possible.
When I had to have work done of my heart, my son asked me how I felt about it, because he knew that I hated hospitals and all medical talk. I said that I regarded it as an adventure, which I did. I wish you well in your adventure.
I see you were there before me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ekqsHP9Sck
Oh dear Crow, I hope the test is not too unpleasant and the results reveal good things!
Hope it went well.
And that you bought yourslef th biggest choccie bar you could find.
xx
John/AWB: Apart from my cowardice, everything went well.
As for the choccie bar - close. I had a few choccie-covered peanut butter bunnies in some PB-and-fudge ice cream. (I like how 'peanut butter bunnies' sounds as it rolls across the tongue.)
I plan a visit to our local holy-cow-this-is-good-chocolate store on Tuesday.
XX back at you.
:D
I am having difficulty with posting replies to comments. Earlier this morning, I wrote one response in which I addressed each comment. I hit the post button and, for a couple of hours, my response was visible here.
My response was here when I checked in and answered John/AWB this afternoon, but as soon as I clicked the post button, the only response of mine that appeared was the one to John.
I then posted a rant (this isn't the only problem with Blogger I've had recently) when I discovered the lost post - and damned if it didn't disappear, too!
:(
Crow--- glad to hear the test was a less horrific experience than anticipated; can relate on the rant... glad to see you so hale and hearty in your pissed-off-ed-ness...
will now head for the rant ;)
Harlequin - not much of a rant, at least not the posted bit. What I said off-camera would have made Beelzebub blush.
:)
You are no coward. These things that live inside of us, things we have no control over, well, they can scare the shit of us when they don't play nicely. But your heart is strong. It plays through this post like a lullaby. Be well. Let them take care of you -
and then sing.
xo
erin
Erin:
I am going to be just fine, as long as I don't get in my own way!
:)
Post a Comment