
I remember the first electrocardiogram I had very clearly. I was pregnant with my daughter and was having some chest pains. I had gone to the clinic at the Portsmouth (Virginia) Navy hospital for a routine check-up when the chest pains started. (Turned out to be indigestion caused by fetus turning and pressing against my stomach.) The ECG machine was wheeled in, an enormous thing, dangling wires and leather straps with electrode connectors. It made me think of all the Frankenstein movies I had seen, especially when the corpsman began attaching the straps and suction cups to my body. I was waiting for him to shout, "It's alive! It's al-l-ive."
...
Over the ensuing years I've had a few other ECGs - routine check-ups, pre-surgery, that sort of reason. I noticed with each new ECG that the machines were getting more sophisticated, as computer technology made medical exams faster, easier. No more Bride of Frankenstein episodes. In fact, after that first ECG, none of the other tests used such clumsy equipment. Each subsequent test took less time to complete than the one prior, with less goo left behind on my body. Thankfully, results were always normal. My ticker was pumping along just fine, thank you very much.
...
Tuesday of this week, I had a check-up scheduled to monitor my diabetes and COPD/asthma. I am a relatively new patient to this family practice, so my physician asked if I had time for a baseline ECG. Sure, I said, remembering the last one I had, which was the zippiest ever. Nurse entered the room with a machine that looked like a laptop computer, with dainty (compared to first ECG machine) wires dangling at its side. Wires were the prettiest powder-blue color. Gone was the conductive gel one used to have dotted at strategic points along one's chest. In its place were adhesive backed pads with the smallest electrodes I've ever seen. Chatting with the nurse, I tell her of my first experience all those years ago.
...
"I saw one of those when I was in training," she said. "Technology has come a long way since back in the day."
...
I suddenly feel 30 years older than my almost-62. 'Back in the day,' I ask myself. How old is this girl, anyway, that she considers 1970 "in the day?"
...
"This is going to take longer to hook up than it will to take the reading," she continues. "Now just lie as still as you can. This won't take long."
...
In less than a minute, after adjusting the machine, she ripped off a trace. I thought that was the trial run that would be tossed, and that she would then take the reading that would be kept.
...
Nope; she was finished. It took her longer to unhook me than it had taken to conduct the ECG. Amazing!
...
Nurse and machine disappeared. Several minutes later, my doctor returns.
...
"Your test looks pretty good, Martha," she said, smiling. "However, we found one problem."
...
I expected her to tell me the murmur I was born with had become more pronounced, something I was told might happen as I grew older.
...
"You've had a heart attack."
...
What did she say? What was that about the murmur? She didn't say 'murmur,' did she?
...
For the split second it took for 'heart attack' to register in my brain, the world stopped revolving, my heart stopped beating, I drew no breath, nor blinked an eye. Finally, I found my voice.
...
"Heart attack?"
...
"A myocardial infarct. It shows up on your read-out. You've recently had a heart attack."
...
No, no, no...I did NOT have a heart attack! When?
...
The only time in my life I thought I was having one was four years ago, in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, when we didn't hear from our sister who lives in Louisiana for several days after the hurricane swept over her town. And there were the problems at home and at work, and I couldn't seem to get my diabetes under control. One afternoon I was hit with severe chest pains, like an elephant wearing football cleats was bouncing up and down on my chest; shortness of breath and the most god-awful headache I've ever in my life had. I managed to drive myself to the hospital, where after a battery of tests, including a heart catheterization, I was sent home. My blood pressure was extremely high, as was my blood glucose level, but my heart was fine, no sign of an attack or any other abnormality. Just a lot of stress.
...
Last year, I had a couple of days of heavy-duty indigestion which caused some chest discomfort, but it wasn't that bad and it cleared up in less than 48 hours. That couldn't have been it, surely. That was nothing compared to the pains I had in 2005, and those turned out to be stress-related. My heart was fine. The ER doctors all assured me my heart was in very good condition.
...
Well, I guess it is until it isn't anymore. Sometime in the last four years, a section of my heart died; quietly, anonymously, with no family at its bedside to mourn its passing. Just slipped away, unnoticed, unrecorded, ungrieved.
...
It is still attached to the rest of my now not-quite-so-perfect heart. It doesn't react to the electrical charge that courses through the rest of the heart, doesn't do its part anymore to keep the life-sustaining blood flowing throughout my body. It just lies there, inert. Lacking the power to move. Dead.
...
I am in shock. I've been reading as much as I can about heart attack survival rates and post-attack prognoses in the last 36-plus hours. I want to understand what has happened, how it could happen with so little notice. I am also afraid. Afraid another one will sneak up on me, like this one did. How do I prevent that? Do I have any control over it, anyway. Are they going to get worse? What are my chances of surviving the next one, now that my heart is damaged?
...
What a bummer, man. I'm going to hold a private memorial service for the section that has died. Just me, and the part of my heart it left behind.
(c) 2009 Martha McLemore
26 comments:
I have a friend who had a heart attack nearly 20 years ago. Quite a serious one too. He is now in his early 60's and it has not affected what he can do with his life.
Apart from allowing him to draw an ill-health pension.
He is monitered regularly so the chances of a heart attack sneaking up on him are lower than for someone who never has to see a doctor. He doesn't worry about it anymore; has come to terms with his 'scarred heart'
I would think that will be the case with you.
So, Martha, take care and enjoy that memorial service.
Joky bits of dialogue pass through the mind: Someone says, "You're all heart." Response, "Oh no I'm not."
I take this line because I think you're the victim of technology rather than an avenging Yahweh. In the old days when they wheeled out the tube-based ECG machine with switches that looked like car grab-handles you'd have got a clean bill of health, I suspect. Its main function would have been to establish the difference between the quick and the very-nearly-dead. This new one with its itty-bitty powder blue wires is far too sensitive; it was probably R&D'd on fruit flies. All part of some medico-industrial complex conspiracy to keep the public in a pliable state of terror. The next thing you know will be an article in Scientific American saying we all have minor heart attacks three times a day and they're actually good for us, but cut down on your intake of California Blush.
None of which removes the fascination of medical technology. When I was endoscoped (A journey to the middle of the patient, May 21 2008), despite the acute feelings of discomfort and constant gipping, I felt an overwhelming desire to be controlling the joy-stick by which the callow young doctor was achieving familiarity with parts of me still alien to its owner.
I understand your gloom and sympathise. Also your fear that another may sneak up; the fact is it always might have. What has changed? Stop trawling Google for doom and sit down and write a poem about it. The best you've ever done. Go over it time and after time, see what can be improved. After that, address the overhanging problem of frictionless bearings. In short, revel in the mundane. And in particular, don't change.
An inspiring song comes to mind from Damn Yankees; the movie version has a roistering version dubbed on the actor who plays the coach. "You gotta have heart, Miles and miles of heart..." Tis true. To overcome the psychological effects of a heart attack you gotta have...
Silent ones, and women are especially prone to them. If you have COPD, that strains the heart, heart and lungs do everything together. That's all I really know, so glad your doc picked it up. Hang in there.
John/AWB, I'm okay this morning. Just had to get past the initial surprise and shock, I guess. I don't intend to let this stop me, but I will do what I can to prevent another. Thank you for the mention of your friend who has survived his attack. It's good to know others have endured worse than I have and are still going strong.
:)
BB:
Your comments have made me chuckle and a good laugh is one of the best gloom lifters I can think of; so, thank you.
It didn't occur to me to ask God the "Why me?" question. I know my health issues and lack of discipline to control them are the why.
I shall 'stay calm and carry on.' Grandson and I have a pinewood racer to build, then I'll turn my hand to the poems.
:)
Zhoen:
You've told me a great deal in those few words. I will, indeed, hang in there. Thank you.
:)
One thing I learned in cardiac rehab is women exhibit different symptoms for heart attacks. Your description of "heavy-duty indigestion" is spot on.
As to survival: I had my first MI at 46, and the second one (a stent collapsed) a week later. The sawbones said I lost 70% of my heart function. The first was 11 years ago, last month. I had a third one a couple years ago. I just had another stent placed; whatever it takes, Doc, I have Plans .My wife and colleagues attribute my survival to orneriness. Mayhaps. After an MI is a good time to get ornery, Crow. Do EXACTLY what the cardiologist (if they don't seem to be helping, get another cardiologist) sez, take your medicine(s) faithfully, and get into a cardiac rehab program.They are very helpful and caring.You will have to watch what you eat too, for a trencherman like me the hardest prospect.No more chicken-fried steaks (as delish as they are, I miss 'em), etcetc. Be stubborn. Have plans.
If I can be of further help, please let me know.
Yes, the tests are more sensitive now.
Yes, the health/insurance/pharmaceutical industry wants to keep us in a state of fear.
Yes, women's cardiac issues are not taken as seriously as men's by the medical profession.
BUT, it's not a death sentence. If you feel good and remain active and interested in life, then you have beaten the dire prognosis. You have too much going on to let a little myocardial infarction get you down!
Keep checking in with yourself and your doctor but mostly yourself.
:-)
You have what it takes to get through it. You'll continue to wake up every day for a long time. You'll know when it's your time, and this isn't it.
Peace, and a hug!
What a bummer, man. Understatement of forever but it sure got a chuckle outta me.
All kidding aside, I'm sure they're going to follow this up with care and monitoring, perhaps medication. Just keep yourself informed, focus on healthy diet (she says who just ate two gigantic cookies for lunch) and you and 3/4's of your heart will be fine. My best to you!
erin
Whoa, what an eye-opener! I've heard women have quite different symptoms but this is quite the surprise. Glad you've recovered from the shock and will now just carry on and take even better care of yourself! Now I'm beginning to wonder if I should get one of those baselines.
Wow, what a ride your story was. Technology can tell us a lot, for better or worse. Hope you spend more time in that workshop and in other happy pursuits. I think it was Don Juan that taught young Carlos that death always walks with us. You seem to be real warrior who focuses on living, and not on what might happen. May you stay forever young: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=favgoOn-U1I (Joan Baez version).
My sister had the same thing happen. She was getting a routine EKG before she had knee surgery and they told her the EXACT same thing. She has since been put on medication and the other part of her heart is compensating beautifully for the dead part. Her heart is working at 71% capacity, which is very, very good. Oh, and she gave up meat...
I had a by-pass operation about 12 years ago. I have found that the less I think about what goes on behind my rib cage or wherever one's heart resides, the better. I am an ostrich I'm afraid, and recommend keeping your eye on every moment in all its glory. Keep blogging and writing poems.
Sorry for the late arrival but I can see from all the comments made that you've been given some fine advice already. All that I can add is to keep that wonderful sense of humor that gave us 'back in the day was 1970?'. I've heard people say that about 1999 for crying out loud. My mother had a very major heart attack in her late 70's and lived happily to die of other causes many years later.
Take good care (but not excessive) of yourself and stay happy.
Scott/RR:
I got ornery later in the afternoon after I posted this. I realized my daoctor came in , dropped the news, then sent me on my way. I was too shocked to ask any questions. Only after I posted to the blog did I thing "Now, just a cotton-pickin' minute, there, sister! What's next? What about meds? What about some test to see how much function I have left?"
I took your suggestion to heart (HA! no pun intended, but I'll take that one) and got aggravated. I go in for blood work next week and will ask her the questions I couldn't think of the other day.
Thanks for your offer of help. That was very kind of you, and much appreciated.
:)
Hello, E:
No, it isn't a death sentence as long as I keep waking up in the morning. I'm going to adopt Scott/RR's attitude: "I've got PLANS!"
Thanks for dropping by.
:)
Joe/Spadoman:
Thank you for the kind email and for the hug.
Looking forward to reading about your road trip with Mrs. Spadoman and your grandkids.
Peace and hug to you, too.
:)
Erin/WiaW:
Well, we're going to follow-up now, for sure. Didn't have my wits about me on Tuesday, but will have when I return for blood work this coming week.
:)
Marja-Leena:
By all means, no matter how healthy you are, consider having a baseline ECG done, especially if you are over 50 years of age. Just as women should have regular mammograms beginning when they are 40, an ECG should be part of an annual physical too, but ask your doctor about when and how often.
I'm going to have one every year from now on, same time I torture the tatas.
:D
ER:
Thanks for the link to Joan Baez - enjoyed the song very much.
One of my great aunts or a cousin-four-times-removed (read very old relative when I was a kid) used to refer to death as "the black dog." Used to scare the stuffings out of me when she would talk about anyone's dying -"Well, the black dog got Earlene last night." You can imagine how terrified I was of black dogs after that.
Would have liked a dog like your Molly, though, I bet, euphemism or not.
:)
Maria:
Glad to read that your sister is doing better. That's encouraging.
The only meat I would not want to give up (but I will, if that's what it takes) is chicken. And turkey. (And a good roasted beast...maybe beef short ribs. I'd miss the Virginia ham at Christmas, too.)
:)
Joe/Plutarch:
I'm glad to know you are a veteran survivor of heart by-pass. I wish for you many more years of good health.
Your advice is well worth following. Can't say I'll ever be any good at writing poetry, but I certainly can keep trying.
:)
Hello, Susan:
Yes, lots of good advice, which I take to...no, can't do that again. Which I take seriously.
The worst part of this was the shock - just never thought those words would be said about me, you know? But I'm fine now, due in large part to the kindness of all of you here.
Thank you, Susan...and everyone else.
:)
The people of Nasturtia certainly regard you as a poet what ever you may think, and sing your anthem (posted on Best of Now a few weeks back) on every national occasion as well as in moments of joyous drunkeness.
Dear Joe/Plutarch:
I am imagining the Nasturtians quaffing gourdsful of potato beer, while doing the condor reel in La Plaza de Esperanza y Alegria. (Now I can butcher two languages at once.)
(Some Americans don't like to be reminded that the music for our national anthem, also sung at every national occasion and sometimes in moments of drunkeness [joyous and otherwise], originated from a British drinking song. Doesn't bother me a bit.)
Had I a large-brimmed hat with an equally large feather attached, I would be flourishing it whilst bowing low in your direction, gallant sir. Thank you for the kind compliment.
:D
Post a Comment