
I don't know who started the idea of leaving a stone - (O) - in the comment section of other people's blogs, but it is a nice gesture, lets them know you were there and read what they had to say, even if you can't think of anything to say.
...
I will do this for the blogs I visit but cannot think how to respond.
15 comments:
O
perhaps another crow!
:D
really nice gesture... much better than silence... no words...
Greetings, HB:
It seems the courteous thing to do, doesn't it? I saw it in two places that I can remember at the moment - Harlequin's blog and Zhoen's blog 'One Word.' May have seen it used elsewhere, too, but I can't think where just now.
Martha
i really meant a crow...
because crows hide things here and there and then they put a sign on it... a stone...
the person who has started this should have been a crow...
caw caw to her...
:)
Hey, there...yes, I really loved the gesture... especially at my St.Anthony post... it was a dark one and I didn't expect a whole lot of flippant or casual commentary, but the stone was lovely... sometimes when I can't think of anything to say, or when saying might not even be the wise thing to do, the stone is a tribute and form of witnessing that has power and softness.
HB:
"or him... " as you said in the last email, which I couldn't transfer to the other.
Thank you for that follow-up about the crows putting stones on their caches to mark their location. I didn't know they did that! I learn so much from blogging. :D
Harlequin:
your St. Anthony post was wonderful. It derserved more from me than it received, but I was numb from vicariously living out her last day, especially when she entered the water and was enveloped by it. I cannot swim and have twice nearly drowned...(shudder)...good stuff, Maureen; really good. :)
That was Lucy, of Box-Elder and Out with Mol blogs who left the stone. I have left stone in so many places, I thought I had left it at the Saint Anthony post, but it was Lucy.
Sometimes, saying nothing is more reverential than many words might be. One doesn't always speak in the presence of art, when reverence for the work is the appropriate response.
What emoticon do we use to show tears?
My thoughts on the leaving of stones ... In the movie "Shindler's List" it was depicted as a Jewish tradition, to leave a stone at a grave as a sign of respect and a way of saying "I was here".
Your dream story kept me enthralled, Martha! Thank you for sharing your talent.
Hello, Bev:
Thank you for the info about the stone tradition. I should rent Shindler's List and watch it.
I'm working on the last post for the dream; hope to put it up today. That whole experience was really strange; left a lasting impression, still strong after all this time.
Nice to 'see' you today! :)
Martha
I fully agree. Takes the pressure off thinking of something clever to say, but still let's it be known you appreciate their post. I've got use it more often. I know appreciate knowing someone enjoyed my blog.
I've certainly enjoyed yours, Walter.
Nice of you to visit here. :)
I think it was Dale, from 'Mole', who originated the stone gesture, he was probably the one who left it at Zhoen's. I think perhaps he took it from the Jewish spiritual tradition. It can be very helpful.
Thank you, Lucy.
It is a lovely tradition, and a nice gesture.
I have a collection of small, smooth stones and some larger, equally smooth river rocks, to which I am always adding more. I like the feel of them in my hands. Used to carry one of them in my jeans pocket until I forgot to remove it when I did laundry one day...and it wore a hole in the pocket.
Thank you for visiting today.
What a great idea!
I forgot to mention earlier my love and respect for crows. Sadly I lost all of them in my neighborhood about 6 years back to west nile virus. They are just now starting to return.
When I hear one, my ears and my soul perk up. I hope they know they've been missed.
I got it from Dale over at Mole, who says it came from Buddhist bloggers, and the idea of Jewish funeral ritual, of leaving a stone on a tombstone. A gathering of ideas.
http://koshtra.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment