..............................This poem was inspired by a line in a Navajo prayer that Michelle posted awhile back. Found the image at Thomas Crossland's site.
Crow Song 1
Come to me soaring, O my love,
On ebon wings unfurled.
Softly glide to rest beside me.
Leave behind the flightless world.
Come to me cawing, O my love,
Thy voice resounds in my heart.
Sing odes to our life together,
That comfort when we’re apart.
Come dance with me, O my love,
‘Neath the pale moon’s waning light.
Bow and turn. Coo to me, again,
Words of love, deep into the night.
Come to me soaring, O my love!
Come to me soaring.
On ebon wings unfurled.
Softly glide to rest beside me.
Leave behind the flightless world.
Come to me cawing, O my love,
Thy voice resounds in my heart.
Sing odes to our life together,
That comfort when we’re apart.
Come dance with me, O my love,
‘Neath the pale moon’s waning light.
Bow and turn. Coo to me, again,
Words of love, deep into the night.
Come to me soaring, O my love!
Come to me soaring.
(c) 2009 Martha McLemore
12 comments:
This one is just... lovely. Truly lovely. I can feel the love of the crow for its life partner. It made me feel all lump-in-throat reading it. I was watching two crows flying together today on the way into town and thought how I read somewhere that the ancient Egyptians used two crows as a symbol of married happiness.
You captured that bond perfectly here - their tenderness together. I love it and am so thrilled my post triggered such beauty.
That's really beautiful, Martha.
Didn't know about the Egyptian lore of the two crows; nice to know that.
It was your Save the Words challenge that started me down this path, Michelle, and I thank you for it. :-)
Thank you, Lisa.
I want to come back in the next lifetime as a crow.
Beautiful poem!
Thank you for posting! Make it a good week.
~AM
Hello, AM. Thank you for dropping in. I hope it is a good week for you.
Martha
Thank you for your kind words on my blog --- and I in turn admire your prowess with the written word, and share your fascination with crows! I love rhyming poetry. The cadence is always soothing to me. This is beautiful.
The print and the lovely poem are a beautiful combination.
Hello, Bev:
I'm still learning about poetry, but am having great fun in the learning.
I have watched this one family of crows for almost 10 years now, through eight generations. West Nile virus killed the original pair I started watching but one of their offspring and his descendants are still around. If I were independently wealthy, I would study crows full time!
Thank you for visiting today.
Martha
Thank you, Susan. I liked the print, too.
This is a wonderful post - the image is great as well as the poem. I don't usually like Asian art so much - but this portrait is something I would like to hang on my wall.
I liken Asian art to haiku: spare, but loaded with emotion and thought-provocation. This image of the two crows against the moon is a poem in itself - to me, anyway.
I'm glad you enjoyed this posting.
Post a Comment