Sunday, July 25, 2021

Rachel and Lydia

 

 


Someday I will write about Rachel and Lydia, who were brought into this world the same day and time that I was, through the generosity and long struggle of my mother's body.

I made it to what would have been our 74th birthday today.  They didn't, having been removed last month.  I don't even know what happened to their bodies, but am ambivalent about their loss.  Phantom pains from where they were make me groan in pain and tears flow in sadness for a few seconds.  The weirdest thing about that is I reach out to comfort them only to pull away in shock when I realize there is nothing there anymore.

Well, nothing but sixty-seven metal staples and red, angry wound borders. 

So it goes.



8 comments:

Fresca said...

Ah, my condolences on losing such intimate parts of the body.
I can't quite imagine, though one day I might need to do such a thing...
(I even felt some sense of loss after a molar tooth was pulled this year!)

I am so glad to see you here, Crow.
You are such a thoughtful blogger and good writer--I have missed your voice.
Please write more (of course only IF YOU WANT!).

Sending love, and farewell to Rachel and Lydia.

Zhoen said...

Heal well, friend.

Should Fish More said...

Hey
I hope your recover progresses, extensive wounds can take some time to heal esp. at 'our' age, as I well know. Do take it easy.
Mike

Michael Leddy said...

I’m sorry for the pain and the feeling of loss, Martha.

The Crow said...

First, thank you all for your thoughtfulness.

I feel I owe you an apology for giving in to self-pity. I have managed to keep a hold on that fairly well but I was thinking about the girls and how long they been a part of my life. I realized I've had them for as long as I've been around, they just didn't show up until I was almost thirteen.

Sunday was a day of reflection on my life to date (every birthday is for me) and I slipped into the Well of Regrets and Remorse without notice and wrote that post without adequate reconsideration. I think reality finally smacked me upside the back of my head and fear took over for a couple of hours There have been some setbacks since the initial surgery and so much to learn about triple-negative breast cancer, its prognosis and so on; I was momentarily overwhelmed by it all.

I'm getting back on track, though. Thanks, again.

Fresca said...

I, for one, thank you for speaking openly of your grief and fear---it actually helps me to hear other people express their vulnerabilities--makes me feel less alone!
I don't have cancer (yet?), but plenty of concerns, and more to come--we all do, eh?
So, no apologies needed for being human!

Happy Birthday!
Sorry about the setbacks---glad you're getting back on track.
You are a champion!!!

Should Fish More said...

Hey Martha
Just checked my dusty blog, saw you had left a comment. Hope you're well, I'm doing ok. Not sure if I'm going to post more frequently, was prompted by phantsythat's return after almost three years.
Take care,
Mike

The Crow said...

Mike:

I saw a notice that you had posted a comment and mentioned the Crow in it. I was delighted to see you again, but misunderstood the message was for Susan and her friend Crow, which is why I deleted my comment.

I try not to write too often about my cancer; fear I might be boring the pants off those who aren't going through it. Obviously, though, I'm still here (yippee!).

Hope you will post more often; cheers me immeasurably to read your posts and to know you are doing okay, too!

As always,
Martha