Uh, the tooth fairy lottery, that is.
For years I have worn dentures, the result of years of childhood neglect and lack of funds to have dental work done as an adult. However, more than twenty-five years ago my ex-husband worked for a company whose employee benefits included a great dental plan, so he and I both got our teeth fixed. The new smiles did not save the marriage, sadly, and when we divorced the dental plan went with him.
Not long after he left, the dentures began falling apart. I used super-glue to reset the teeth, not perfectly but they looked good enough. The teeth continued to fall or break out until I stopped trying to repair them. I also stopped smiling as broadly as I used to do because I was embarrassed by how unsightly my grin had become.



10 comments:
Excellent news, Martha! Those must be a boost to your morale.
Thank you, Avus. They have indeed lifted my spirits in a trying time; small things can work wonders.
Amazing! Good for you!
If you put the old dentures under your pillow, do you get a fistful of change the next morning?
That’s a nice smile, Martha. Good for you. It’s wonderful to be able to smile without being self-conscious about it. (I have two capped snaggleteeth, so I’m speaking from experience.)
Ooh! I sure hope so! :)
My dad had perfect teeth, no cavities, straight and bright white. My mom had poor teeth all of which were removed by the time I was four. I only knew her smile as beautiful. Three of us kids had crowded teeth on top, pushed toward the center between rather large canines. The other three had teeth like our father.
I doubt very few humans come into this world with perfect teeth. Makes me wonder what the tooth fairy would want with the less than perfect ones.
I find your smile charming, Michael. However, it's your eyes that are most alluring!
[Blush!]
Good damn deal. Wish mine looked the same. Wonderful to hear from you, Martha. I think of you often. My girls ask after you also.
mike
BEAUTIFUL CHOMPERS!!! :)
My felicitations. My recent op (face transforming but I have hopes) lasted 2 -3 hours and I can't help feeling what I would be looking at if in April 1972 there'd been more powerful reasons for staying in the US instead of returning to "communist" UK with its free health service. I note that a US hip replacement - at $40,364 - is almost a steal compared with heart valve replacement at $170,000. Trouble is the former is elective and the latter is essential; maintain one's bank balance and one dies. And there's always those little extras that seem to add up. Not only did I pay zilch as I walked out to the car-park where my daughter's car was waiting I was loaded with free drugs and "pap" food which goes down easily.
But let's not be crass. Your cheerfulness puts me to shame. True you've gone the other way but you've had plenty of time to reflect on a changed persona during the earlier years. Me, well we'll have to see. Vanity was never a factor, now it might be even if it's only for a few weeks. Writing may be a cure; being frank with myself.
Learning to smile as you have done so admirably.
Post a Comment