Sunday, June 13, 2021

What a Year, So Far!

 It all began with contracting Covid in December.  I thought I would dodge that bullet because I had so far.  Daughter and I were diagnosed the same day and quarantined at her house.  I have no furnace yet and this is the second winter I've "vacationed" with her - a blessing, especially considering Covid.  Missed a lot of work (no pay) which ate into my funds for a furnace.  But we survived!  Dodged a bullet after all.

Our quarantine period ended New Year's and the next day, respectively.  I had a small relapse a few days before which slowed me down a little.  On Jan3, I developed serious shortness of breath, went to an urgent care facility which sent me to the local ER.  Waited four hours to be seen (Covid hit our town in waves, particularly among the No-mask group who got together in large groups to celebrate the holidays.)  I think that, since I had already had the virus, the staff (understaffed) triaged me to the bottom of the list.  Doctor finally came in and diagnosed pleurisy: my lungs were clear, heart was real good, nothing to worry about.  Prescribed an NSAID for discomfort and inflammation, sent me back to daughter's apartment.  

Next morning, I awoke gasping for air, in unbearable pain.  Returned to urgent care, where I collapsed against daughter.  (Thought I was dying!)  Taken to a different hospital, scanned, found lungs and right leg were full of clots.  One in left lung was "of significant size" with two smaller ones partially blocking the descending pulmonary vessels.  I returned to my room, was placed on a heparin drip, three liters oxygen and advised to lie still for awhile.  Okay, no argument from me!  I was prescribed a blood thinner which I might have had to take for the rest of my life (but don't!).  That meant I would have a life after the hospital!  

Another bullet dodged!

The day before I was released, my PCP came in with more information from the CT.  There were large nodules in my thyroid and an unclear shadow in my left breast.  The doctor in CCU advised I make appointments as soon as possible, especially a mammogram.  Fortunately, my primary at the VA had already scheduled an annual mammo for the first week in February.  She added a thyroid ultrasound for the same week.  All good, dog!

Thyroid ultrasound and mammogram led to biopsies early May.  Thyroid came back benign, to be followed up with an endocrinologist.  Another bullet fell to earth.

Breast biopsy returned cancer diagnosis.  Uh-oh.  Didn't dodge that one! 

I go in for bilateral mastectomy tomorrow morning  The next bullet (that I know I'm facing) is metastasis, which we will know about after surgery.

Never mind all of that, though.  The absolute worst thing so far this year is the loss of our brother, Thomas Leonard McLemore, the second of our mother's kids.  Mac was kind-hearted, a much-loved and well respected man in his community.  His death has left many family and friends still reeling. To say he will be missed is an understatement.

He was a decorated Navy veteran (and the reason I enlisted) whose service in Viet-Nam exposed him to the brutalities of war and poisons like Agent Orange.  He was being eaten alive by skin cancer from AO exposure.  He lived with massive clots in his legs which eventually prevented him from standing on his own.  The last four or five years saw him home-bound in a wheelchair or seated on his recliner.  He couldn't stand or walk far without assistance.  His leg injuries from several conflicts in Viet-Nam were the source of the clots, but Mac refused the recommended amputations.  When an aneurysm in the lower aorta was discovered, an endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR) was installed.  A second stent and a third followed.

Mac was 72 years old when he died on January 16 from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, the only bullet he couldn't miss.

Like I said, what a year.  So far.

14 comments:

Should Fish More said...

Damn, Martha
What a year....you are one strong woman. My thoughts and good wishes are with you, and I'll be thinking of you tomorrow and every day after.
Love, Mike

Avus said...

Oh Martha! What a hell of a year. I really do feel for you and hope all goes well with the surgery.

My wife and I both had mild Covid. Then I had a heart attack (recovered). Then my wife was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and had the "Whipple procedure". So I know what you must be going through.

I shall be thinking of you m'dear.

Fresca said...

My dear, I am so sad to hear of your brother's death.
I wrote you an email, but want to say here that it is a travesty that our country has treated soldiers and veterans so shabbily (to put it mildly).
What a tragic loss.
I am so sorry.

I am sending lots of LOVE & COURAGE to you as you rest and recuperate from your surgery (today!)---and whatever comes next, please count on your old blog friend, Fresca

Zhoen said...

Many hugs. Many, many hugs.

Michael Leddy said...

Martha, I’m so sorry for your loss and your family's loss and all the pain and difficulty you’ve had. If there’s anything someone at a distance can do to help, you know where I am. May there be better days ahead.

Tabor said...

I do not know what to say. You write this with such a strong and 'heads-up" voice. You have met and faced strongly so many challenges. I am hoping the rest of this year brings respite and time for peaceful thought. The loss of your brother seems so unfair. Clearly, he fought for as long as he could. I am so sorry. Your courage makes me realize I need to quit complaining about stuff.

The Crow said...

Thank you all for your well-wishes. The 'girls' are gone and for the first time in my life I can feel the ribs they sat upon. What a weird sensation!

Daughter is my Florence Nightingale and is doing a wonderful job. I sleep a lot of the time. My two sisters have gone through breast cancer before me. They've been a big help to Kareema, especially in telling her to take breaks from care-giving. We have a deal: When I take a nap, she does, too.

My youngest sister, whose cancer is now in her spine, knows I don't like taking meds or asking for help. However, one thing she told me is now my recovery motto: she told me that when they (hospital staff) offer me pain meds I am to TAKE. THE. DRUGS! Very good advice!

If I have any courage, it is from the example Mac set for all of his siblings.

I deeply appreciate your kind words and your friendship. They are a comfort and support I will never take for granted.

The Crow said...

Final lymph nodes pathology report: all clear!

Fresca said...

ALL CLEAR!!!
Those are happy words in a hard year!
Whew.
Your brother Mac set a high standard---we can be brave, we can carry on, while we can... I will remember that from him.
XOXO

Zhoen said...

Huzzah!

Should Fish More said...

Outstanding!!! Good news, fellow corpsman!!

JES said...

"Final lymph nodes pathology report: all clear!"

And that is wonderful news, especially following on the heels of everything else you've described here (and perhaps much else you haven't said a word about). Congratulations!

Roderick Robinson said...

I myself am awaiting the result of biopsy at the moment. Inside the mouth, that source of many of my problems in life. If the news isn't good I hope I can maintain the same clear-sighted objectivity you've managed in this remarkable post.

We have an up and down relationship you and I, mostly down, punctuated by long periods of silence. But your uniqueness has given me faith in belonging to the human race. Do you recall submitting a short story to me, many moons ago? The details escape me and I doubt I was kind. But knowing you as I do I'm sure you replied "in kind". There, a little wordplay; as things were when Joe acted as a referee between us.

Pathetically I've taken to reading old posts dating back to 2008. You said some nice and - more important - intelligent things about my stuff. Did I thank you? I'm not sure. Well I'm thanking you now.

All I can say is "tough it out" as you seem to be doing. I can't use that verb that Americans seem so tempted to overuse, but I must say I'm tempted. Cheers.

tsduff said...

Nobody knew where our lives would lead us away back then when we were such avid bloggers... Just checking in after many years of life and of being away from the blogging days.
You have come through your tribulations admirably - I cheers you on.
Cheers -
Terry Duff
Terry's Timeout