Thursday, November 26, 2015

Giving Thanks

(Image found here)

There is much for which to be thankful this day, despite (or maybe because of) the misery that surrounds us.

Speaking only for myself, I am grateful for at least these things today:

I awoke this morning.  Always glad to open my eyes and see light streaming through my windows.  

I rolled out of bed without incurring the wrath of the Spasm Monster.  My knees didn't buckle beneath me and I could walk without bracing myself against the wall.

My daughter and grandson are alive and well, and headed out to spend the holiday with her father and his family.  I'm going to their apartment later to cat-sit and make rice pudding.

I hear voices of children playing in the alley next to my house.  These are not children from the neighborhood, but likely visiting relatives nearby for Thanksgiving.  They're tossing around a beat-up old football and yelling with such joy and enthusiasm, it is impossible not to giggle along with them.

Several homes' chimneys are expelling clouds of smoke in columns straight up to the sky.  The scent of burning wood wafts in on the drafts around the doors, cheering me immeasurably.  I love the odors of fall and early winter, especially wood smoke.

There is food in the house (not the usual feast larder, but plenty, nonetheless), heating oil in the tank, enough money in the bank to pay bills, warm clothing, running fresh water, and a secure roof over my head.  I still have a job.  

My health...well, it certainly could be better, but it could be (and has been at other times) worse.

The main thing for which I am thankful this day is that I woke up.  It's all gravy from that point on, no matter what comes.  I am alive up to the moment life leaves me, and it would be disgraceful of me to feel anything else but gratitude.

(I'll try very hard to remember what I just wrote should things take a turn for the worse.)


12 comments:

Tom said...

And I along with you. Just awakening, in all its forms, is wonderful!

The Crow said...

Yes, it is, Tom. Hope your day (days, really) goes well.

Fresca said...

I'm thankful for you, Crow---but I still haven't gotten to the PO to mail you the rice pudding paintings---next week!

Should Fish More said...

Indeed it is something to be thankful for. Me too. Here's the toast my kids and I share most years: "Here's to us, and those like us. Some are gone, some remain. Well met."

Zhoen said...

The knees are the first to go. But food on the table, roof on the house, people to love, and that's a great place to go.

dianefaith said...

I love that wood smoke smell, too, and I love to burn leaves. Why is that, I wonder . . . why this comfort that comes from the smell of something burning?

Glad you had a good day!

Zhoen said...

Get up, check the obits, not there, go ahead with day...

Roderick Robinson said...

I agree wholeheartedly: everything proceeds from waking up, getting up and (just to give us a little literary symmetry) not throwing up. All of which I've just done (or in the last case, avoided). Events that in my youth would have gone unnoticed now become achievements. I have just some faint inkling as to how tough things have been for you and I clap hands at your optimism.

The trick now is daring to look ahead, risking disappointment. For a couple of months I've been afloat, purposeless, looking for busy-work, knowing all the time why this was happening. No novel! Because of course novels take time and... who knows? Last week, rather tremulously, I wrote the first 526 words of High Hopes (the title may change), some of which I've posted. In the past you've gee-ed me up and I've tried to return the favour.

Are you ready for the ride? I'll appreciate anything you can manage. Let us form The Mutual Backscratchers Union.

Avus said...

A beautifully positive and thankful post, Martha. Did me good to read it. Let's be grateful for what we still have. ( I can sympathise with the leg spasms on getting up!)

Roderick Robinson said...

SEASON'S GRATITUDE (Because the familiar phrases at this time of year don't work for me.)
For writing clearly and in detail about your problems; for demonstrating how it is possible to "bear up"; for reminding me of the hows and whys of life in Pennsylvania; for showing interest in what I write; for being defensive on my behalf; for attacking me when you thought I deserved it.

The Crow said...

I didn't realize I had left so many kind comments unanswered, for which I humbly apologize. Thank you all for stopping here and for taking the time to leave your responses. I will try harder to be more attentive from now on.

The Crow said...

Robbie:

Your greetings beat the hell out of anything Hallmark could ever put out; thank you for your kindness, your thoughtful tailoring of gratitude for specifics.

I sincerely hope my attacks have not been unbearable and that I am (at least sometimes) forgiven.

Love,

Martha