- Today, I am 68 years and 1 day old. Seems like only a couple of days ago that I was 67 - my, how time flies. July 25 is, according to ancient Mayan culture, the Day Out of Time: "The day of Kin, which is outside of time, is...July 25th, also called Green Day. Green Day was considered by the Maya as a special day to prepare the soul, creating a space for play, art, magic and creativity." This year, the day passed with hardly any notice, for me, anyway. Is it a sign of aging that birthdays don't matter as much as when we were younger?
- I have a new therapist, one I think will help me work through the PTSD crap. I am hopeful, at least.
- Lightning bugs are here later than usual this summer. Most years they are here the last half of June into the first week or so of July. This year they didn't show up until the middle of this month. However, there seem to be a great many more than usual. Their tiny bodies fill the evenings with luminescent acid green light, rising just after the sun disappears from the horizon, in that space between twilight and nightfall. What joy!
- I am nearing that age when I'll probably have to retake the state's driver's license test - or, at least, have to go through an eye and reflex test. Two more years of degenerating vision and slowing reflexes and I'm screwed. Time to get a bus pass and learn to leave the driving to someone else, I guess.
- There is a new, young cat visiting my property. Pretty little grey-and-black-tiger, half-grown kitten; very friendly, likes being petted and held. He curls his rather prehensile tail around my wrist when I pet him. I thought it was sweet, until I realized poison ivy rash now encircles my wrist. Despite my wishes, Donovan has named the cat: Georgie Junior, after a cat he lost to feline distemper a few years ago. Well, you know what they say about naming an animal - it's yours forever - so I guess I'll feed it, too. But this is absolutely the last one!
- After so many wet weeks, we are in a dry and hot spell. Not too bad, but I find myself longing for the cooler weather of late September, early October - as if time weren't flying by fast enough already. As my mother used to tell me, "Martha, you'd complain if they hung you with a new rope!" Probably, but if the sky was as blue as a Dutchman's britches and full of fluffy white clouds, with a cool breeze and low humidity, at least I wouldn't mind the weather.
- That's about all that's on my mind this evening. How are things your way?
Sunday, July 26, 2015
Not Much. You?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
Gorgeous green days, birthdays whizzing by faster and faster, each added year a smaller portion of our life, yeah. What I wouldn't give to see lightening bugs again, properly, without glasses.
All I want by the time I can't drive myself is a glow-in-the-dark, electric, self driving vehicle.
Cats chose us, and we obey.
"Cats chose us, and we obey."
Yep. :]
Happy birthday for Saturday anyway, you're never too old to receive good wishes.
Somehow missed your last lovely post while I was blog-absent. You don't brag too much about Donovan at all, your pride is well justified.
Reading, writing, walking, mowing, and awaiting a near-future visit from our children. And at all times feeling grateful for air conditioning.
Happy birthday, Martha!
Happy Birthday, Crow!
Happy birthday indeed. The last several of mine passed without notice on my part, just some vague recognition.
In all my travels around the US I've only seen lightning bugs once, somewhere in Illinois south of Chicago. Glad I got to see them, the thing they do with rising out of the grass and flickering is unreal.
I hope this coming year, and all that are left to us go well for you Martha.
I think it's healthy to avoid dwelling too much on the passage of time. Otherwise we attach a mystical though nonsensical significance to certain numbers. In a few days I shall be celebrating what some people would refer to as a "big" birthday, except that I won't. If I celebrate anything it would be my ability to read your post, appreciate what it tells me about an old friend and then respond in some way or another however ramshackle.
A professional soldier I met put it well. I was researching an article about training young men to be cooks in the Army. The brigadier in charge of a huge Army camp was in a reflective mood. "These lads sign on (in the Army) for two years and they think: what a long, long time. Me, at my age, I see it as twenty-four paydays."
Degenerating vision? Could this be due to cataract? I've just had my other eye done and I can now see distances clearer than at any time over the last twenty-five years. A cataract op takes a few minutes. In India they do it in railway station waiting rooms. Have you looked into this?
Naming an animal. Inevitably the UK observation is less sentimental: Give a dog a bad name and hang it. It is also highly compressed and, as a result, somewhat enigmatic. Good! It makes people think.
New therapist. Don't hope, insist.
I seem to be having trouble receiving your posts, Martha. This one(dated 26th July) only appeared in my box on 8th September - so belated good wishes!
I also have in my box one you have posted with the title "Union Man" which will not load - just a lot of HMTL codes. Other blogs are coming through OK. Is this just me or have you had similar notification?
Pretty much the usual except for a visit from my eldest cousin who is 79. He has been here for five days now having driving in from Idaho. What fun reminiscences and family gossip. I had not seen him for decades since he returned from Vietnam as a USAID officer (Civil Engineer) who had many stories to tell about Saigon at the end of the war....
Post a Comment