I don't like the narrow-mindedness and violence that pervades our politics, our economy, our culture. But I love this land and the way we do - eventually - get around to doing the right, conscientious thing for the benefit of all.
I do have hope that our nation will continue to strive to live up to the promise of freedom, equality and justice upon which the United States was founded, and will someday achieve those goals, completely fulfill the promises. Do I think it will happen soon, in my lifetime? Probably not. And certainly not if all I do is point a finger and try to assign blame. I have to work at making things change, within myself and within this nation. It's going to take hard work, even after the objectives are met, because there will always be groups of us who will try to dismantle the good we accomplish.
Well, that's my two-cents-worth for the day. Time to descend from the soapbox.
6 comments:
Chill, and blow stuff up. Works for me.
HA! Sounds good to me!
I wish I shared your tempered optimism, but there we are. I wish you well Martha, in everything.
Cheers,
Mike
Ha-ha, our USA: "the full catastrophe"!
I always like to celebrate liberation from whatever binds us.
I wish you well, too, Mike.
Fresca:
I don't like the narrow-mindedness and violence that pervades our politics, our economy, our culture. But I love this land and the way we do - eventually - get around to doing the right, conscientious thing for the benefit of all.
I do have hope that our nation will continue to strive to live up to the promise of freedom, equality and justice upon which the United States was founded, and will someday achieve those goals, completely fulfill the promises. Do I think it will happen soon, in my lifetime? Probably not. And certainly not if all I do is point a finger and try to assign blame. I have to work at making things change, within myself and within this nation. It's going to take hard work, even after the objectives are met, because there will always be groups of us who will try to dismantle the good we accomplish.
Well, that's my two-cents-worth for the day. Time to descend from the soapbox.
Post a Comment