(*)
Sometimes, God-there-is-no-God, I just don’t
see any purpose to anything (an exaggeration, but you get my drift, I’m sure). Sometimes, I think we human beings were a
terrible mistake; a curse upon this planet to ourselves and all the other
creatures; also, to the land, the waters, the air.
We are a self-involved, self-serving,
self-indulgent, self-congratulatory, self-important, Self-ish waste of
evolutionary energy. All that we create
is for the attention, praise and adoration from others, unless it is for their
subjugation or annihilation or enslavement.
What good are we?
Sometimes, I don’t want to be human. Sometimes, I don’t want to be me. Sometimes, I don’t want to be.
But, what else could I be? What purpose could I serve? What purpose does a life have, anyway? Maybe (probably) there is no meaning or
purpose to life and deep inside the darkest corner of our brains we know this –
it is all moot. Perhaps Life has no more
significance than a flea’s fart, if even that much. Yet we continue the struggle to give life a speck
of significance, of meaning or purpose.
We search for joy, for laughter, for happiness, for bliss, for
transcendence. For Love, that other insignificant mystery, source of more pain
than gladness; a thing more elusive than chasing a shadow or a sunbeam.
I have a hunger for something I can’t name,
haven’t seen or tasted or held or heard or smelled; something that does not
exist, not even in my imagination. It is
this yearning for the inexplicable, for the unsayable non-existent that led to humanity’s
creation of gods and goddesses, of God-there-is-no-God, Allah, Buddha and all
the other Masters of the Universe.
Know what I think all the Masters of the Universe are? A big black hole leading to Absolute Zero, that state wherein no Life can exist - no sun, no constellations, no thought, no pain, no gladness, no sadness, no pointless ruminations on a dreary, wet, cold Friday night of no light – or Light. No yearnings, no words, no sight, no response, no reactions. No being.
Know what I think all the Masters of the Universe are? A big black hole leading to Absolute Zero, that state wherein no Life can exist - no sun, no constellations, no thought, no pain, no gladness, no sadness, no pointless ruminations on a dreary, wet, cold Friday night of no light – or Light. No yearnings, no words, no sight, no response, no reactions. No being.
What’s it all about, Alfie?
I'm going to fix a cup of coffee, go out on the back steps, sit in the almost-pitch dark and watch the steam rise from my cup to enjoin the rainful night air. Going to listen to the plip-plip, plick-plop of raindrops onto the roof, the metal gutter, the sidewalk, the alley's blacktop. Going to close my eyes and picture the sound of tires spraying water onto everything the cars pass. Going to listen to birds snoring and fleas farting. Going to feel every ache in every bone, in every muscle, in every cell of my body, and be grateful that I can. When I finish that cup of coffee, I expect you to have an answer for me, God-there-is-no-God...okay?
(*)Photo:From Wikipedia article on black hole: Simulated view of a black hole in front of the Large Magellanic Cloud. The ratio between the black hole Schwarzschild radius and the observer distance to it is 1:9. Of note is the gravitational lensing effect known as an Einstein ring, which produces a set of two fairly bright and large but highly distorted images of the Cloud as compared to its actual angular size.
I'm going to fix a cup of coffee, go out on the back steps, sit in the almost-pitch dark and watch the steam rise from my cup to enjoin the rainful night air. Going to listen to the plip-plip, plick-plop of raindrops onto the roof, the metal gutter, the sidewalk, the alley's blacktop. Going to close my eyes and picture the sound of tires spraying water onto everything the cars pass. Going to listen to birds snoring and fleas farting. Going to feel every ache in every bone, in every muscle, in every cell of my body, and be grateful that I can. When I finish that cup of coffee, I expect you to have an answer for me, God-there-is-no-God...okay?
(*)Photo:From Wikipedia article on black hole: Simulated view of a black hole in front of the Large Magellanic Cloud. The ratio between the black hole Schwarzschild radius and the observer distance to it is 1:9. Of note is the gravitational lensing effect known as an Einstein ring, which produces a set of two fairly bright and large but highly distorted images of the Cloud as compared to its actual angular size.

12 comments:
This is what I believe. We exist because we have a will to survive. That makes us no better or no worse than any other living organism. If we ceased to exist would the world then be a wonderful place? No. It would be animals killing each other and on occasion the earth itself destroying life. Earth quakes, tornadoes, etc.
I only need one reason to live and that is because I want to. It is enough.
Of course, your post goes on to answer the questions you pose. You're here to doubt and to speculate; to take pleasure from verifiable phenomena; to reject (by implication) others' insistencies if they turn out to be BS; to record the difficulties of converting these experiences into conclusions; and - if we're all very lucky - to express a conclusion every so often. You are alone and yet there are over 6 bn like you, if you take comfort from crowds. You're unique which alas is both a delight and a burden. In the end you wouldn't have it any other way. You're in a position to both envy the cockroach for its undemanding workaday existence and to reflect on its tragedy in that it cannot do this for itself. You are master of a universe that's as big or as small as you care to make it. The stoop or, if you like, "out back" - those wonderfully flexible US symbols - are both about the right size for manageable universes.
Dear Martha, so long as we allow our egos to dominate our lives we must, if we have any feelings at all, see that life is unsatisfying, that there must be something more. Surely, when we see that, when we feel the hopelessness of it all and yearn for something more numinous, we are in a better place than we might first of all realise. That is where you seem to be; the break-out is under way.
As I pointed out in an earlier post, I believe that God is not in the vortex of a Black Hole: He is the Vortex, and that can be terrifying. Stay with it friend; you're not alone.
" It is this yearning for the inexplicable, for the unsayable non-existent that led to humanity’s creation of gods and goddesses, of God-there-is-no-God, Allah, Buddha and all the other Masters of the Universe."
Yes, and that's my indicator of God . . . that yearning, that feeling that there is More, that mystery. My husband tells me at least once a day that people are "stupid idiots" for believing in God. I try to tell him back that he's picturing a lot of stupid idiots looking toward an old white guy in the sky—and that is not necessarily what belief in God is like.
(I almost can't believe that I— born into a Southern Baptist family and escaping all that had to do with religion as quickly as I could — would argue FOR, but there you go.)
I tried to resist, but couldn't. Here's the answer to "What is the meaning of life?"
42
You can look it up.
Oh, and if you figure it out, lemme know.
Cheers,
Yours in Perplexity
Mike
I've heard it said, nature has no meaning, that's a human concept.
We are here to bring meaning. That's our job.
I suggest you read Hogfather, I always do this time of year.
I have to laugh:
it seems God-Who-Is-Not-Etc. is replying in the form of blog commentors! :)
So I'll add my two cents:
when I get to feeling that life is a meaningless hell, and that we are just viruses infecting Earth,
I figure maybe at least I can make it a wee bit less nasty for the poor bastard next to me who also is condemned to be here, whether that means saying "thank you" to the bus driver, or (today) sending Christmas cards, or what.
That actually makes it a little more bearable to me.
At any rate, I can't see any way out that doesn't make it worse for the other members of my benighted species except to go on through.
Merry Christmas!
--Fresca (I think I'm signed in as "Frex")
Martha
You have answered your own question with elegance and very movingly. I have been reading and thinking about Zen Buddhist stories for many years, seldom more than at the moment.
You have brilliantly communicated the image of that cup of coffee, the darkness and the raindrops and your attendant feelings.
Robbie is right. You have found and shared the answer to the question in a fleeting moment. Thank you.
An idea found in many wisdom traditions - perhaps spelled out most clearly in Gnosticism - which is that the world we humans inhabit is remote, degraded, and ‘far away’ from higher, more refined dimensions of existence. It's impossible for us to make a logical argument for any ‘real world out there’ (numina beyond phenomena) in any true sense. We can ‘know things’ and acquire great knowledge of how things appear to us, but it's never anything more than knowledge of appearances shaped by our own mind and its inherent nature. Reason can't prove the existence of God, but neither can it disprove it.
Yup, as others noted, it's all there in the last bit, isn't it?
I'd send you some of my holiday chocolate, except I've greedily wolf all of it already.
Thanks for recently stopping by.
Finally got to this.....very good....we are on the same page....you just write it better than I do.
From something I wrote:
He watched the sand run through his fingers like the precious grains of never-to-be-repeated time being wasted right now by two people hassling over a load of crap that no longer meant anything in terms of the big picture. And okay, so it was crap that he’d generated, sure – but crap that came purely from the fact that, of all the maybe millions of life-forms that’d crawled across the planet, only humans had been dumb enough to evolve an ego to fuck-up their own lives and drive the insane delusion that happiness was to be found in shit that actually made you miserable trying to get it or create it and/or control it and/or hang onto it and/or pretend that it was better than anybody else’s. And yet, however you tried to dress it up, still just shit compared to the simple buzz and sheer relief of accepting that all you ever really had was what you really were – and knowing that the only way you could ever go, without seriously fucking yourself up, was with the flow.
Post a Comment