Thursday, July 5, 2012

Hello, from Computer #1

I soon should have my own Internet service back, probably by mid-August.  On the one hand, that's a good thing (I can sit at the desk in 'jammies - or not - and can bring food [though ought not, the way I spill stuff], and I can stay on the Internet visiting my favorite blogs all blinkin' night long), but I will miss the people around the computer table, an ever changing cast of fascinating characters if ever there was. 

Some days it's like a three-ring circus in here (like today), some days are quieter than a Quaker meeting, other days remind me of the tableaux in '20s and '30s night clubs; not that I was there, but from what I've seen in movies from the time. 

Today, there is a young man who reminds me of my grandson, who is autistic.  This boy seems to be in his late teens, physically, but exhibits the same distractedness as my grandson, speaks in a voice more like a 12 year old and giggles at the oddest things.  (Hmmmm...wait a sec...so do I, come to think of it.  Am I an Aspie, too?  If so, then cool beans!  I like seeing the world through a different set of glasses than everybody else.  So, you go, kid!  Enjoy your view of the world and giggle all you want.)  I think he's giggling about the fellow who took his chair up to the checkout desk, set it down on the counter and asked, "Why is this chair so low?  Every time I sit in it, it gets lower."

For some reason, the librarians are especially vocal this afternoon, something I'm not used to; but then things have changed quite a lot from the time when I was a kid and librarians shushed you for coughing.  (Daisy, if you read this, I know you aren't like that - the shushing kind, I mean.)

I meant to post a photo of the stained glass window I mentioned in the earlier post about the library, so will do that another time.  I left my photo thumb drive at home.  Turns out it wasn't done by Tiffany after all, but by the man who co-founded DC Comics, home of Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman and others.  The DC line started out as illustrated crime/detective stories, in the style of graphic novels, but along came Superman and out went the detective/crime stories. 

Another thing I'll miss when I no longer need the library is all the books.  When I finish on the computer, I like to browse the stacks, to see what we have here.  It's the slow, tactile, hands-on, old-timers (that would be me) version of search engines.  I do the searching, the browsing.

Then, there are the drop-down, keyboard-hopping spider surprises.  No, there aren't any here at the library.  That's my point. 

I have a few more minutes at Computer #1, and I want to go read my favorite blogs, so - Adios, friends.  See you farther on down the line.

Oh, yeah!  The coffee.  The library offers premium grade coffee for their patrons, although we can't bring it to the computer table, a small bummer.  Yeah, I'm going to miss the coffee.

Okay...maybe I'll wean myself away from the library after I have the 'Net at home again.  Maybe for every posting I make at home, I'll come here and post three, or four, or more.  Yeah, that's the ticket.

14 comments:

Sir Hugh said...

It’s 7:45 am. I’ve just caught up with your food fest over my breakfast. It’s a good job my hunger was being satiated whilst I was reading. In an earlier comment I mentioned my late wife’s mother’s words of advice to her daughter, and another of those was not to go food shopping when you are hungry - that is if you have some concern about calorie intake.

The order of presentation at one stage got me thinking about concocting a recipe using the asparagus, mushrooms and spinach - I’ll have to give that some thought.

Thanks for a stimulating start to my day.

Connie said...

I'm always glad to hear when someone is using and enjoying their library. You're right about the shushing. Hardly anyone does that anymore. At least they don't do it here. Most of the time in our library, the librarians are noisier than the patrons! :-)

I'm glad to hear you are getting your internet back even if you will miss the library. I feel lost when our internet goes out here at home. I hope you have a nice weekend!

Lucy said...

It does make you think. We rather assume that on-line activity must be all about being cut off from the concrete world in the privacy of our own homes, and on tap whenever - though it wasn't really so long ago that I was dependent on a dial-up connection with a restricted no of hours per month, and not that much longer ago I lived without the internet at all. You've depicted it as a potentially and rather enviably convivial, colourful activity, with treats of books and coffee and stain glass windows and interesting characters attached.

Perhaps you should think about keeping up some links with it. I wonder if you will?

dianefaith said...

I have internet at home, where I'm typing right now. But, every time I read one of your posts from the library, I am envious and want to go share your experience. One day I will. It sounds like an ideal people-watching venue, and I'm up for that.

The Crow said...

Hello, all: I regret not responding to your earlier comments. I wasn't always free to do so, since I read blogs and comments here at work, in between my regular tasks. I'll try not to be so neglectful in the future.

Conrad: it pleases me to know I've helped your day off to a good start. Your late-MIL's comment about not food shopping whilst hungry must be a universal bit of knowledge: my mother told me the same thing and I've passed it on to my daughter.

I can tell from your remarks about your late wife that she meant a great deal (understatement, I know) to you and that you miss her every day. What joy she would have felt at being Grandmother to dear Katie.

Daisy: Actually, since I am an inveterate people-watcher, I rather like our gregarious librarians. I especially like listening to library gossip when they aren't aware of us at the computers.

Lucy: all that you describe in your comment I have found to be true. After my first visit, which was only a bit awkward, I felt right at home elbow to elbow (almost) with the others at the table. As I became more comfortable, and relaxed, I would get lost in watching and listening to everyone else.

You make a good suggestion in your question. Maybe I will stay a part of the library group, to stay in touch with the outside world, no matter how vicariously so.

Diane: I believe you would enjoy the experience as much as I do. It would be interesting to compare my fellow characters to yours. So I'll keep reading your blog to see what's up in your corner of Georgia.

Anne said...

I enjoy your library posts and the environment you describe, but it will be nice to have you a bit more accessible at home. Perhaps you should act on other's suggestions that you do the library thing from time to time. It's good to stay in touch with a various community.

The Crow said...

Hello, Anne

First of all, congratulations of the birth of tour new great-granddaughter, Kinley. So little, but already has a great big smile.

Yes, I think I will check in at the library, just to keep an eye on the neighbors. Of course, I could save myself $40 a month and just stay there. I can't afford coffee as good as theirs at home, and they occasionally have baked treats brought in by patrons. That's another idea: I could make cookies or something like that for when I visit.

A whole new lifestyle awaits!

susan said...

Yes, spending time at the library even when you don't have to be there sounds like a very reasonable idea. The posts you've written from there have been great to read (even though it looks as though I've missed a few, I have been enjoying your pictures taken at the farmer's market during this visit). You're a wonderful writer anyway, but your thoughtful and kind descriptions of the other patrons are a treat.

Nevertheless, it will be good for you to have internet access from home too.

All the very best from me and Crow.

Roderick Robinson said...

I know you've been through the Slough of Despond recently and that you've improvised brilliantly at the library, but if it's any comfort there's been a slight change of style. Your stuff is tauter, more laconic, a rhythmic mix of short and long sentences. Hey, it was pretty good beforehand and I hope this doesn't sound patronising but feel free to kick me up the derrière if it does. There is one of those sayings I've always distrusted, usually cranked out by one's gran as an anti-grumbling measure, but I think it applies: sweet are uses of adversity. I'm sure it didn't feel sweet but I'm delighted to welcome you back to our somewhat diminished community. More detail about Smalltown, USA, please.

The Crow said...

Hello, Susan and Crow:

Welcome home from the UK, Crow. I found your report disturbing; I quite understand The Queen's ruffled feathers. Liked your vest, by the way.

Thank you for your kind remarks, Susan. There must be something about trying to write within the time limits at the library that helps me focus on my surroundings better. I've been following your posts, here at the office at day's end and through the library machines. Must do more than just read.

The Crow said...

Lorenzo:

Patronizing, no. Pedantic, perhaps. However, I always enjoy reading your comments, whether here or at other blogs we both visit.

I think grumbling is an acceptable aspect of human nature. It helps us sort out what's necessary to investigate futher and what to drop from our thoughts. I recognize, though, the need not to linger on one's gripes too long, for fear of missing the wonders of life...as well as alienating friends.

Re: Small Town, USA - I'll see what I can find. Not promising N. Rockwell moments every time, but there might be a few. Some of the findings might be considered grumbling, but that's a real, everyday part of life over here, for some people, as it is worldwide.

Thank you for dropping by, Friend.

The Crow said...

PS Lorenzo:

I appreciate your critique of my recent posts. I value your opinion of my writing.

Roderick Robinson said...

Some people are careless in the way they read. Might see pervert where you've written pedant. Might actually believe the words are synonymous.

Secret Agent Woman said...

Here via Mike at Memoirs of a Cardiopulmonary Guy. I find being internetless frustrating. But I like the idea of blogging from a library. If you can be on one computer long enough, that is.

Incidentally, I'm here to tell you that Quaker Meetings are sometimes silent but other times surprisingly noise-filled.