This is Mrs. B, owner of Byer's Butterflake Bakery, and her granddaughter, who loves to come to Market with her grandmother. I used to buy a pastry from her shop when I had a stall here, to have with one of the teas I had brewed for samples. Good stuff, let me tell you. Lots of Pennsylvania-Dutch treats, and so much more.
What I like about her cinnamon bread is that it's baked in pans that leave cutting marks along the loaf. How convenient! The loaves are loaded with cinnamon and make fantasic toast.

Lemon sponge pies above, and springtime-themed sugar cookies below - flowers, chicks, Easter eggs. Oh, how I wished I had brought money along that day! Mrs. B also makes the best shoo-fly pies I've ever had, but that photo didn't turn out well enough to post. Another day, perhaps.
I returned a couple of weeks later, with wallet, and bought one of what Mrs. B calls molasses cakes. I call it delicious, soft, and wonderful with a cup of coffee from the corner mini-mart. I justified the purchase by telling myself that I had burned off most of the calories in the cookie...uh, cake...by all the walking I'd done that morning. Hey, that's my story and I'm sticking to it, okay? Okay.
(C) 2012 M. C. McLemore




No comments:
Post a Comment